Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I wish I could afford Sibelius too. It's sooooooo expensive. I should have done a Mike and nicked a copy from my school before I left! :p:

You can get it at a student price, but it is still expensive. You could also get it through a school and get VAT taken off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    You can get it at a student price, but it is still expensive. You could also get it through a school and get VAT taken off!
    I know but I'm skint! I can't even afford the cheap ones. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I know but I'm skint! I can't even afford the cheap ones. :bawling:
    Awww no! I begged my parents and said it would be useful for uni etc etc. They gave in and bought it!

ReputationRep:
    Awww no! I begged my parents and said it would be useful for uni etc etc. They gave in and bought it!
    Hehe.....do you study music? I'd say that but I don't think I could justify a composition programme being useful for a degree in French and Italian!

ReputationRep:
    I've just done Music Alevel and will study it at uni in September, so that did come in handy as a reason for having it!

I didn't have it for most of Alevel, only near the end, however I printed the score of my composition and my friends composition off on it as there was a problem will schools one so I'm glad I got it!

Hmm French and Italian degree......erm say something about needing to learn musical terms in those languages and using them in printed music that you need to compose and put on Sibelius!! LOL

ReputationRep:
    I've just done Music Alevel and will study it at uni in September, so that did come in handy as a reason for having it!

I didn't have it for most of Alevel, only near the end, however I printed the score of my composition and my friends composition off on it as there was a problem will schools one so I'm glad I got it!

Hmm French and Italian degree......erm say something about needing to learn musical terms in those languages and using them in printed music that you need to compose and put on Sibelius!! LOL
    Hmm....I doubt that will work somehow!! I used Sibelius for music A level too. It's such a legendary program!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is fab! They've got another one now- Sib 4.. honestly! I buy Sib 3 and then another is coming out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    *Nudges musicbloke* :p:

Hey kew, sorry - I got a week long ban from this place. I will answer tonight - sorry I seemed like a flake.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Lucky you! Beethoven 5 is one of the pieces that I've always wanted to play in an orchestra, but haven't yet been able to do to date. It's such a fantastic piece isn't it - I know that because it's so firmly in the canon, some people look on it as rather a stereotype, but I don't care. There's a reason why it's so popular, after all...

Some of the other pieces I've always wanted to play, but haven't had the opportunity to yet -

Rossini, Overture to 'William Tell' - I've heard some people say it's 'tacky', but I profoundly disagree. There is much more to it than the last theme that everyone knows! I particularly like the beginning passage, played by a cello quintet from within the cello section.

Haydn, Trumpet Concerto in Eb (obviously as part of the orchestra rather than as the soloist - I can't play the trumpet!)

Mahler 5

Dvorak, Cello concerto (again, as part of the orchestra as I wouldn't be good enough to do the solo part)

A non-orchestral piece - Schubert, Trout Quintet, theme and variations (though I would also love to play the rest of it). I absolutely love this piece; one particular highlight is the second-to-last variation, which is an absolutely sublime cello solo. I can't listen to it without being moved.

Obviously there are other pieces I would love to play too - those are just a small selection! Have you got any pieces that you would love to play, but sadly haven't had the opportunity to do so yet?
    OK I was going to come back on why I thought this selection was a little weird. It is, of course, a reasonable selection of 19th century music but my marxist instincts (and many will tell me that I'm grossly oversimplifying and working on outdated models) insist that there is an element of abstract aesthetics that has been ignored by this list. The first interesting juxtaposition is beethoven and Rossini. Now, I'm not going to go into much detail on thi one because Dahlhaus has written the beststuff on it (in his bok nineteenth century music which is a must-read item. This stuff is near the beginning under "the twin styles"). Once you've read it I would ask you to consider that maybe dahlhaus exploits the opposition for a pseudohistorical (probably more 1980s ideological but that's alright for the marxist) chain of reasoning to attempt to give Wagner's music dramas some sort of rationale. That being said I do not think that it is in any way appropriate to consider the two works in the same light.

Ok, Beethoven, Schubert and Mahler I can see the link in but not so much in the trout. I mean if I was looking for that link in chamber works of Schubert I would be far more inclined to mention death and the maiden, rosamunde, or the string quintet. I find the trout wonderful iff not slightly bland next to thee works. That being said, it is a masterpiece and is beautifully subtle. Again, with this link I would have expected an earlier mahler symphony with the Wunderhorn elements.

As for the Dvorak and the Haydn, I just can't see wheere they fit in. I don't find either particularly exciting or satisfying. I guess what I'm saying is that I can't really understand your taste. I can't see what it is you enjoy about the music. I don't believe in all this "it moves me" spiel. I think it's meaningless jargon for the aesthetically lazy - that's not a personal attack on you but just a personal opinion. Maybe you could enlighten me more.

Jacob (MB)

ReputationRep:
    I just spent some time writing a long answer to your post, but I was timed out and lost it when I pressed 'post reply'. Just to say that I'll have another go this evening!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

Lately I've been totally into Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet arrangements. I bought the whole lot on CD, and I've been listening to it non stop .Anyhow, I just came to ask whether any of you have any good suggestions for some really good dark, angry, powerful music?

I don't quite have enough!

ReputationRep:
    Argh, I've had enough of Stravinksy's Firebird! Studied all last year for A2- it was coming out of my ears!! lol

ReputationRep:
    These are first things that have come to my head-

Vivaldi's Four Seasons
    Stravinsky- The Rite of Spring, The Firebird Suite
    Mussorgsky- Night on a Bare Mountain
    Prokofiev- 1st Violin Concerto and 3rd Piano Concerto
    Debussy- Violin Sonata in G Minor 1st mov.
    Shostakovich- Symphony No.5

Michael

ReputationRep:
    Argh, I've had enough of Stravinksy's Firebird! Studied all last year for A2- it was coming out of my ears!! lol
    It's ace

Michael

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I can't listen to it as a piece of music anymore! Everytime I hear it, I reel off all this musical stuff and I keep thinking about what is going in music wise. I can't sit there and enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    Eek

I get that sometimes when I've been playing a piece for too long, which is why I hate doing grades!

Michael

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

I think I'll try to steer clear of it for a while and then see if I can listen to it properly!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions!

ReputationRep:
    What about Shostakovich's String Quartet No.8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starsailor)
    Vivaldi's Four Seasons
    I certainly wouldn't describe that as 'dark, angry and powerful'!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.