Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    there is an element of abstract aesthetics that has been ignored by this list.
    What do you mean?

The first interesting juxtaposition is beethoven and Rossini. Now, I'm not going to go into much detail on thi one because Dahlhaus has written the beststuff on it (in his bok nineteenth century music which is a must-read item. This stuff is near the beginning under "the twin styles"). Once you've read it I would ask you to consider that maybe dahlhaus exploits the opposition for a pseudohistorical (probably more 1980s ideological but that's alright for the marxist) chain of reasoning to attempt to give Wagner's music dramas some sort of rationale. That being said I do not think that it is in any way appropriate to consider the two works in the same light.

Ok, Beethoven, Schubert and Mahler I can see the link in but not so much in the trout. I mean if I was looking for that link in chamber works of Schubert I would be far more inclined to mention death and the maiden, rosamunde, or the string quintet. I find the trout wonderful iff not slightly bland next to thee works. That being said, it is a masterpiece and is beautifully subtle. Again, with this link I would have expected an earlier mahler symphony with the Wunderhorn elements.
    Well, as I said, the list isn't complete by any means. What kind of link are you looking for, in any case? I daresay one would become more apparent if I gave you a fuller list of pieces, including pieces I love that I have actually performed as well as those I haven't. Then perhaps you might not find my musical taste so peculiar? Examples: Mahler 3; Brahms 2; Shostakovich Piano Concerto No. 2; Bruch's 'Kol Nidrei'; all of Beethoven's symphonies, though the 'Pastoral' and 'Eroica' in particular (as well as No. 5, mentioned in a previous post); J S Bach's Brandeburg Concertos; practically any Mozart you could shake a stick at. The list goes on...

As for the Dvorak and the Haydn, I just can't see wheere they fit in. I don't find either particularly exciting or satisfying. I guess what I'm saying is that I can't really understand your taste. I can't see what it is you enjoy about the music. I don't believe in all this "it moves me" spiel. I think it's meaningless jargon for the aesthetically lazy - that's not a personal attack on you but just a personal opinion. Maybe you could enlighten me more.

Jacob (MB)
    I must admit, I find your stance a little odd too. May I ask, when you listen to music you like, what is it about it that you enjoy? I know there is obviously intellectual pleasure to be gained from listening to 'great' music; but surely you cannot say that music never moves you in any other way, either? Many people (performers, composers and musicologists as well as the average Man on the Street), if not the overwhelming majority I imagine, would say that the stimulation and expression of emotion is one of the most fundamental aspects of music (I hasten to add,by the way, that by the word 'emotion' I imply a wide range of subtle feelings, rather than merely such black-and-white things as 'happy' or 'sad'). I can assure you, it is far from 'meaningless jargon' to say "it moves me" about a certain piece or a particular passage of music. When I say, for example, that one of the themes from the first movement of the Dvorak moves me profoundly, then I mean exactly that. Yes, I can appreciate from a more intellectual, less instinctive viewpoint the way the various components of the music have been fitted together - how beautifully crafted it is, and so on - but the principal reason why I love it is psychological, in that it seems to answer something from within me. I don't mean that in a corny way.

The reason why writing about music is so subjective is because it involves personal emotions, surely? And surely the fact that one enjoys playing great music is (one) proof of an intricate and inextricable link between music and emotion - because it involves one with the music to such a degree? To me it seems inevitable that human emotion can be (and indeed is) expressed through such a thing as music. By that I mean that the very nature of music in itself makes emotion inherent within it. Or am I out of date with this view? I suppose it might not apply to extremely avant-garde music; you tell me. I'm just throwing out ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I'd say that but I don't think I could justify a composition programme being useful for a degree in French and Italian!
    The computers in your Music library (if you have one - extremely likely!) will almost certainly have Sibelius on them, so that students studying composition can make use of it. However, non-Music students will almost definitely be able to use the the computers in there too; I know they can at my uni, at any rate. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    I certainly wouldn't describe that as 'dark, angry and powerful'!
    Forgot to write Winter

Michael

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starsailor)
    Forgot to write Winter

Michael
    Vivaldi's Der Winter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    The computers in your Music library (if you have one - extremely likely!) will almost certainly have Sibelius on them, so that students studying composition can make use of it. However, non-Music students will almost definitely be able to use the the computers in there too; I know they can at my uni, at any rate. Good luck!
    :eek: I didn't think of that. And the music library is right next to my college as well......ooh....
    I'll check that out when i get back to Durham in October then. Maybe I can start composing again! *is excited*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    :eek: I didn't think of that. And the music library is right next to my college as well......ooh....
    I'll check that out when i get back to Durham in October then. Maybe I can start composing again! *is excited*
    Aww, good luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and let us hear your compositions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Aww, good luck with it!
    Thanks!
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Yeah, and let us hear your compositions!
    Hahaha......maybe.....

ReputationRep:
    are there many grade 8 standard+ violinists on this forum id really really like to talk about to someone about this instrument with ppl around my own age than some flyaway viool boffin :P

ReputationRep:
    Aaah violin...grade 8...I can dream!!!!! I gave up once I'd failed grade 4 with a stupid teacher I hated..would love to do it again though, but I don't think it's my thing.

Becca- no maybe's!! YES!!! LOL

ReputationRep:
    Ooh! id like to be a member! I love beethoven and mozart and bach, lol. Can i join?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Aaah violin...grade 8...I can dream!!!!! I gave up once I'd failed grade 4 with a stupid teacher I hated..would love to do it again though, but I don't think it's my thing.

Becca- no maybe's!! YES!!! LOL
    Hmmm, we shall see! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Can I join please? :itsme:

I love Mussorgsky, Holst, Mozart (did his clarinet concerto, movement 1 for my clarinet grade 8 ), Shostakovich (modern, but he still composed in a classical-ish style ), and Bach to name a few!

-Saruman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trish xx)
    can i join please? i play the piano and i have learnt quite a few classical pices and im working on Le Onde and Ronda Alla Turka. i also play the flute and have just finished learning Siciliano but i hav no accompaniyment :'(
    Einaudi's not really classed as classical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Jo-x)
    Einaudi's not really classed as classical.
    It's not classical as in strict musical periods, but it is classical as a genre and minimalist by style - he uses a lot of repetition of fragments of melody etc.

What would you class it as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninevah)
    are there many grade 8 standard+ violinists on this forum id really really like to talk about to someone about this instrument with ppl around my own age than some flyaway viool boffin :P

Me! :hello: What pieces are you playing atm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richy Rich$$)
    Me! :hello: What pieces are you playing atm?
    ooer ... currently
    prokofiev violin concerto - looking 3rd movement mostly, but all of it really.
    kreisler - tambourin chinois ( gotta love this )

ReputationRep:
    ooer ... currently
    prokofiev violin concerto - looking 3rd movement mostly, but all of it really.
    kreisler - tambourin chinois ( gotta love this )

Afraid I don't know the prokofiev concerto. The Kreisler is a cool piece tho'- very authentic! You must be really advanced if you're playing prokofiev tho' , when did you take your grade 8?
    Im currently *trying* to play the first paganini violin concerto, but its really challenging. I think i much prefer the mendelssohn violin concerto , its definite my fav concerto!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richy Rich$$)
    Afraid I don't know the prokofiev concerto. The Kreisler is a cool piece tho'- very authentic! You must be really advanced if you're playing prokofiev tho' , when did you take your grade 8?
    Im currently *trying* to play the first paganini violin concerto, but its really challenging. I think i much prefer the mendelssohn violin concerto , its definite my fav concerto!
    o cool i love paganini i have the first concerto but my music teacher wanted me to learn the caprices but i stopped them after after 3 of em (12, 21, 24). i love prokofiev lol if i were a pianist id love to play the piano concertos. i took grade 8 when i was 11 - i dont actually think im tht good cos ive heard much much much much better musicians than me. i think the standard of a musician has a lot moree to do with personal interpretation n ***** like that than grades etc. hehe i scraped a distinction - literally ... 130 :P

ReputationRep:
    o cool i love paganini i have the first concerto but my music teacher wanted me to learn the caprices but i stopped them after after 3 of em (12, 21, 24). i love prokofiev lol if i were a pianist id love to play the piano concertos. i took grade 8 when i was 11 - i dont actually think im tht good cos ive heard much much much much better musicians than me. i think the standard of a musician has a lot moree to do with personal interpretation n ***** like that than grades etc. hehe i scraped a distinction - literally ... 130 :P

Lol me too, i got 130 aswell. Thats really impressive for taking it at 11! I see in your location box you come from hampshire, do you play in the county youth orchestra, because i know quite a few ppl in it?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.