TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    hmm i thought they were the same

my bad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    hmm i thought they were the same

my bad...
    im sure tht i read somewhere the uefa theme's composer (was it one of the brittens) took inspiration from the opening of zadok the priest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninevah)
    im sure tht i read somewhere the uefa theme's composer (was it one of the brittens) took inspiration from the opening of zadok the priest.
    Haha you can say that again. Inspiration's not all he took from Zadok....

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here know 'Ein Heldenleben', by Richard Strauss? I played it in a concert the other day (along with his 'Four Last Songs') with the Herts CYO, and it was a fantastic experience. It's such a great piece of music - exciting, varied, incredibly moving in some places, great themes, orchestration, harmonies and so on...and the virtuosic violin solo(s) are breathtaking. It is so incredibly satisfying to play.

The 'Four Last Songs' are great, too. My personal favourite is no. 3 - in my opinion, it is an almost perfect song. It has a violin solo within it that is so lovely, it literally brought tears to my eyes during the concert performance.

I don't think I'd never heard any R. Strauss before we started these two pieces with the CYO, but I am infinitely glad that I have now done so!

ReputationRep:
    does ne1 plan on playing on the weekend course with the rehearsal orchestra in london in october. the music is wagner : siegfried act3
    should be fun.
    im playing violaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Questionnnnn for you all. Excluding Becca cos we're already discussed it :p:

Does anyone else find Handel's "Zadok the Priest" and "Colonne Sonore" (the UEFA Champions League official song) really really similar??
    Yeah I do......:p:
    :dancing:

ReputationRep:
    does any1 like the choral arrangement of barber's adagio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninevah)
    does any1 like the choral arrangement of barber's adagio
    Haven't heard one, but it seems wrong to me.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Haven't heard one, but it seems wrong to me.....
    its amazing,
    yeh me being ah stringy i was a bit ... hmmmmmmmd
    but i heard it and i was blown away.
    it truly is something

ReputationRep:
    I've not heard it either, I'll look out for it

ReputationRep:
    Four Last Songs? Not, in my opinion, a patch on Mahler's Ruckert Lieder. "Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen" is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Yeah I do......:p:
    :dancing:
    Me too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Does anyone here know 'Ein Heldenleben', by Richard Strauss? I played it in a concert the other day (along with his 'Four Last Songs') with the Herts CYO, and it was a fantastic experience. It's such a great piece of music - exciting, varied, incredibly moving in some places, great themes, orchestration, harmonies and so on...and the virtuosic violin solo(s) are breathtaking. It is so incredibly satisfying to play.

The 'Four Last Songs' are great, too. My personal favourite is no. 3 - in my opinion, it is an almost perfect song. It has a violin solo within it that is so lovely, it literally brought tears to my eyes during the concert performance.

I don't think I'd never heard any R. Strauss before we started these two pieces with the CYO, but I am infinitely glad that I have now done so!
    Richard Strauss is amazing! I've played Ein Heldenleben, Don Juan, Don Quixote, Till Eulenspiegels lustige streiche, both his horn concertos and his serenade for winds- they're all beautiful! I think Ein heldenleben is my favourite though because it was the first thing of his I played. I was 14 and totally overwhelmed by it, and I love the way it quotes loads of his other works (like the main theme from don juan), although I didn't realise that until I came to play them later! Four Last Songs are absolutely beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Me too!
    Great minds think alike, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Great minds think alike, eh?
    Definitely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarplumc)
    Richard Strauss is amazing! I've played Ein Heldenleben, Don Juan, Don Quixote, Till Eulenspiegels lustige streiche, both his horn concertos and his serenade for winds- they're all beautiful! I think Ein heldenleben is my favourite though because it was the first thing of his I played. I was 14 and totally overwhelmed by it, and I love the way it quotes loads of his other works (like the main theme from don juan), although I didn't realise that until I came to play them later! Four Last Songs are absolutely beautiful.
    I've played Don Juan and Don Quixote as well - they're both brilliant pieces! my favourite though has got to be the Alpine Symphony...
    Oh and I love the choral version of Barbar's Adagio as well. :p:

ReputationRep:
    What a great society!!

It's so difficult to pick favourite composers but mine are probably Schubert, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Shostakovich and Saint-Saens.

Is anyone going to the last night of the proms? (I'm going to the prom in the park in Manchester)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Questionnnnn for you all. Excluding Becca cos we're already discussed it :p:

Does anyone else find Handel's "Zadok the Priest" and "Colonne Sonore" (the UEFA Champions League official song) really really similar??
    Not being a huge football fan I always turned it off and just assumed it was a badly played Zadok the Priest!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarplumc)

I'm glad we think alike!

It also quotes from various parts of Don Quixote, so I've been told by my conductor, and Till Eulenspiegel too.

Also - thank you for reminding me - it wasn't actually quite true that I hadn't heard any of his work before, as this spring we did one of his horn concertos in our main university symphony orchestra (with David Pyatt as the soloist). A lovely piece, though rather tricky, particularly at the tempo we did it at...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by postkantian)
    Is anyone going to the last night of the proms? (I'm going to the prom in the park in Manchester)
    No I'm not going to be there in person, though I would absolutely love to. I've heard that this year they're not going to be leaving out any bits of the Fantasia on British Sea-songs, yay! It's really pissed me off the last couple of years when they've missed out the gorgeous oboe solo 'Home Sweet Home' and the clarinet cadenza, and (I think) 'Shenandoah'.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.