Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to join, too -

I've been listening to a lot of Mendelssohn lately. I really enjoy "A Midsummer Night's Dream." The Overture to it is incredible!

ReputationRep:
    I love that overture!!!

ReputationRep:
    I want to join this but I am not so sure what you are supposed to do when you join a society, do you just say I will join and that is it or is there more to it?

ReputationRep:
    Basically you just say I'll join, and some people put it in their signature.

Once you join you just talk on the thread sometimes with other people in the same society

Welcome btw.

ReputationRep:
    wayhey! Thankyou. To be honest I don't know an awful lot about classical music but I recently started listening to it and I am currently just finding out what I like so I probably won't add much to the conversation in this thread until I know more.

ReputationRep:
    Hey rewmck welcome to my society Hopefully some of the more experienced classical listeners out there can direct you towards music you'll like.

--------------

Sorry I've been on holiday lately and have rather neglected this society. Welcome to 4 new members:

AlphaX
    rewmck
    pianist
    KSPaig

ReputationRep:
    May I please join?

ReputationRep:
    Hey yeah welcome!!!

What pieces do you like?!

ReputationRep:
    ooh loads!
    Even though it is not particularly seasonal (...anymore...) I quite like Benjamin Britten's ceremony of carols.
    Other favourites include Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man (reminds me of singing in the Royal Albert Hall on my 17th birthday) and Bach's 3rd Partita in E. Ooh there's loads of stuff I like...can't remember it all now though.
    I love how classical music can become like an intimate friend when you know a piece well...I like the feeling of knowing a piece inside out and how it can come to mean so many things as it covers so many subtle nuances of emotion. Love it!

ReputationRep:
    You sound cool! Post lots in this thread!!

Singing in the Albert Hall - wow go you!!

Do you play any instruments, or do Music in school?

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Angelil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    You sound cool! Post lots in this thread!!

Singing in the Albert Hall - wow go you!!

Do you play any instruments, or do Music in school?
    I didn't do music in school because my mother was evil and wouldn't let me learn any instruments :mad:
    Having said that though, I got my Grade V Theory and Grade V voice but annoyingly even though I can sing Grade VIII songs (I sang "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man" in my leavers' concert) I wasn't allowed to take Grade VIII voice because my sight reading sucks
    I was in the Senior and Madrigal Choirs at school though, being a Madrigal soloist in the sixth form

ReputationRep:
    It is never too late, you can still learn!

I would love to be able to sing!

Yeah, I know that grade 8 song, I helped a friend prepare it for an audition.

ReputationRep:
    hello, can i join please?

ReputationRep:
    Course you can!

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to.... *beth* *applause*

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else like Jay Ungar's "Ashokan Farewell"?

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of it I've heard of Arthur's Farewell though :p: Iron Maiden used it as an opening track on their Brave New World tour

ReputationRep:
    Can I join?

I love opera, probably because it was originally my major in college and I'm still studying it (Any other mezzos in the house?). I'm listening to Susannah right now-- the scene in the church, and the end, and the first act end, love it! Verdi, too, especially La Traviata, and even Mozart as long as I don't have to sing it. I was born to be Dalila! (Except no, not really. ) Oh, and Dialogues of the Carmelites, the final scene gets me every time!

I like other music too, especially the Russians. Weirdly, I'm not at all familiar with Russian opera, though. I tend toward Italian libretti just because I speak Italian: silly, I know.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Not a fan of opera myself, unless it is a Mozart opera!

The Marriage of Figaro ooo :love:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.