Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceFleur)
    I would love to be put in! Recently I've become obsessed with Debussy, I find that once I accomplish the piece technically only a little tweaking needs to be done before its up to my standard. Mozart just irritates me, though it is rewarding when it sounds perfect.
    I play the cello! Well, not at such a high standard as the piano. But I do love playing Suite no 1 in G by Bach - that is so beautiful.
    Do you know the Gigue from the C major suite?, that's my favourite one; tasty dissonent sections. If not, I recommend it.

EDIT: lol, I just realised I responded to something which was on the first page, hence 6 months old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcD)
    Hey thanks for accepting my request. So do you all have any recommendations for me in terms of classical music? I'm an almost complete newbie to it but am open to suggestion.

I have heard some and like Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Flight of the Bumble Bee and Moonlight Sonata.
    You seem to like Rach quite a bit (well done). Since you like the Paganini variations then you'd probably want to try out his piano concerti, since they're for the same instrumentation. The first is not really worth listening to except for out of academic interest, it's the first piece he published and not representative. The 2nd is hugely famous, and has some of the most fantastic orchestration and some gorgeous melodies. It's the 3rd, however, which I think is the best. It's just far more coherent than the 2nd, with less sentimentalism, and a little dash extra of incomprehensibly difficult pianism. The 4th is also excellent, but a little bit Weird if you're just beginning to get into classical stuff. I think it's the most underrated of the lot, but that's probably only because the 2nd and 3rd are so well recognised.

Since you clearly have vaguely similar tastes to me, you might like Chopin. Try downloading his Polonaise opus 53, or the Waltz in C# minor opus 64... they're probably the best examples of his miniatures. If you've got the time and don't mind concentrating for twelve minutes then download the 2nd Scherzo (Bb minor, I think). I find some recordings a little... unemphatic, but don't let it put you off. My introduction to the piece was when a friend played it, and I don't think any recording can quite match a private live performance.

Alex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lp999)
    Mozart's requiem!
    lol thanks lp! I'll definitely have a look at that

(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    There's a LOTR requiem?
    Yes it's based on the main track of Requiem for a Dream. The film is not well-known, however the track is.

(Original post by coldfish)
    You seem to like Rach quite a bit (well done). Since you like the Paganini variations then you'd probably want to try out his piano concerti, since they're for the same instrumentation. The first is not really worth listening to except for out of academic interest, it's the first piece he published and not representative. The 2nd is hugely famous, and has some of the most fantastic orchestration and some gorgeous melodies. It's the 3rd, however, which I think is the best. It's just far more coherent than the 2nd, with less sentimentalism, and a little dash extra of incomprehensibly difficult pianism. The 4th is also excellent, but a little bit Weird if you're just beginning to get into classical stuff. I think it's the most underrated of the lot, but that's probably only because the 2nd and 3rd are so well recognised.

Since you clearly have vaguely similar tastes to me, you might like Chopin. Try downloading his Polonaise opus 53, or the Waltz in C# minor opus 64... they're probably the best examples of his miniatures. If you've got the time and don't mind concentrating for twelve minutes then download the 2nd Scherzo (Bb minor, I think). I find some recordings a little... unemphatic, but don't let it put you off. My introduction to the piece was when a friend played it, and I don't think any recording can quite match a private live performance.

Alex
    Thank you for the recommendations alex and thanks for providing your thoughts on them, it will certainly help me to look at them in more detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcD)
    Yes it's based on the main track of Requiem for a Dream. The film is not well-known, however the track is.
    Yeah .. that's the track from the trailer right? I know it. I thought it was a bit boring since it seemed to repeat itself the whole way through. However, to be fair I've only heard it a couple of times.

I'm listening to the lacrimosa now from Mozart's requiem. It's fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spam-mi-am)
    Do you know the Gigue from the C major suite?, that's my favourite one; tasty dissonent sections. If not, I recommend it.
    I know it! In fact that was one of the pieces I did in my recital last year.

ReputationRep:
    Any Mahler fans here? (hence my avatar)

ReputationRep:
    Ask me that in a few months, when I've studied him!:p:

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that listening to Mozart can actually increase your IQ. Thats always good for those of us that really like classical music.

I also really love the Flight of the Bumblebee. It is a masterpiece

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've heard that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lp999)
    Mozart's requiem!
    NOT Dies Irae when you have an exam the next morning and you haven't studied one little bit..... (that atmosphere of impending dooooooooooom )

But otherwise I love it.

Opera fans? Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I like Mozart's operas, not too keen on the genre itself though.

ReputationRep:
    Studying opera in music at the moment. Gluck's opera are pretty good. Can really see his innovations and how he changed opera seria.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say opera is not my most favourite genre of classical music... (although I don't mind Beethoven's 9th Symphony)

I'm quite a big fan of Mozart and Beethoven. In fact, my first (and most recent!) iTunes Music Store purchase was Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata', performed by Emil Gilels. Great pianist, great piece. Here are links to iTMS:
    Movt 1: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...444&i=14438544
    Movt 2: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...444&i=14438548
    Movt 3: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...444&i=14438553

I can currently play the first two

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fan of opera either. I much prefer the instrumental stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wei_xin)
    NOT Dies Irae when you have an exam the next morning and you haven't studied one little bit..... (that atmosphere of impending dooooooooooom )

But otherwise I love it.

Opera fans? Anyone?
    oh yeah. but i know nought about mozart opera really.. but i quite like wagner tho (actually the first opera i went to was a wagner...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasp)
    I have to say opera is not my most favourite genre of classical music... (although I don't mind Beethoven's 9th Symphony)

I'm quite a big fan of Mozart and Beethoven. In fact, my first (and most recent!) iTunes Music Store purchase was Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata', performed by Emil Gilels. Great pianist, great piece. Here are links to iTMS:
    Movt 1: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...444&i=14438544
    Movt 2: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...444&i=14438548
    Movt 3: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...444&i=14438553

I can currently play the first two
    nice.
    dont u just love "moonlight sonata".?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spam-mi-am)
    Any Mahler fans here? (hence my avatar)
    A big yes to that one, he's my fave.

As for requiems my personal favourite is Faure's.

ReputationRep:
    I love Moonlight Sonata, but I try not to listen to it too often. I hear it so much that I'll start hating it soon! Just like Fur Elise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    As for requiems my personal favourite is Faure's.
    Faure's requiem is brilliant isn't it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    I love Moonlight Sonata, but I try not to listen to it too often. I hear it so much that I'll start hating it soon! Just like Fur Elise!
    my brother LOVES moonlight sonata. u'd think he will play it to his girlfriend soon.

anyway, i love the turkish march. (got it for my mobile ringtone)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.