Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    I've not heard about it, so can't really comment.

I have £30 of HMV vouchers so was going to buy some classical cds..maybe Stravinsky :love:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I dunno, don't really like Stravinsky that much

As far as I can remember you play a string instrument right? Anyhows, there's this really cool I've played with an ensemble in school, and it's the Mendelssohn Octet. It really is such a nice piece and maybe it would be something for you...

ReputationRep:
    No! I play sax, piano, clarinet and flute!

But speaking of the Octet, I studied a bit of it a few weeks ago, it's nice. First violin part goes high tho!

ReputationRep:
    Whoops sorry...

Yeah, actually played that part fortunately, I didn't have to worry too much about Ensemble playing...

ReputationRep:
    You must be good then!

I think I'll go to HMV sometime end of next week and have a browse to see what I can buy.

ReputationRep:
    cheers!

What kind of other music do you actually like? I mean apart from classical?

ReputationRep:
    I like jazz, and I don't mind some cheesy music that is sometimes played in clubs lol.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. To be honest, I don't really like cheesy music... :p: but then again - it depends. I mostly like rock anyhows

ReputationRep:
    oooh I re-listened to the Marriage of Figaro t'other day

ReputationRep:
    The Marriage of Figaro :love:

ReputationRep:
    Lol. The only piece I really like by Mozart is his Requiem. Our choral society sang it last Thursday and it was soooo beautiful... :love:

What do you think of Finzi? I'd never heard of him until we sang this huge Lo' the full final sacrifice and God is gone up in the choir last thursday in the same concert as well... absolutely love those pieces... and the first is actually a pretty difficult piece... goes up really high in the first sops :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I love the Requiem, supposed to be singing it in May, but haven't been to rehearsals! oops!

I only know a few of Finzi's clarinet works which are good. Don't know much of his other stuff.

Who else do you like?

ReputationRep:
    I only like certain movements of his requiem, but then he only wrote the first movement fully. I think his sketches got as far as the lacrimosa (which is one of my favourites) - the first 8 movements are of siginifacntly higher quality than the others imo. I especially like the first, second, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 8th.

Attached that piano piece from before. It's for mother's day so i really need a name quickly!!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip notitle.zip (5.1 KB, 49 views)

ReputationRep:
    Hehe.

A tribute to a mother? Sorry it'S really hard to find a name for it...sounds pretty good though! For some reason reminds me of the Sims

ReputationRep:
    What did you call it in the end?

For Mum?!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Aww.. What did you think of the piece sexysax?

ReputationRep:
    I liked it, think I've heard it before though. Did you send me that one OAB?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know Steve Reich's clapping music!?!?

I'm performing it with my lecturer after easter! First rehearsal on Thursday aah!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    I liked it, think I've heard it before though. Did you send me that one OAB?
    Yeah that's the one. I had to give it to her with no title

ReputationRep:
    any Sousa fans here?

I'm a big fan of his marches, favourite would be Hands Across The Sea.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.