Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    Rachmaninovs Piano concertos are better. No2 is heavenly

At the minute im really digging Messiean which is AMAZING music but so hard 2 get in2. Also Jan Garbarek, but thats more jazz

ReputationRep:
    oooh Rachmaninov...I like his 'Variations on a Theme by Paganini'.
    I saw a girl on TV last night playing something by Rachmaninov and she had really short stumpy fingers! I thought Rachmaninov's compositions were notorious for needing long fingers to play them....

ReputationRep:
    I love Rachmaninov! Especially his 2nd piano concerto and his Paganini Rhapsody

ReputationRep:
    Rach's harmonies are what makes Rach Rach! Yes, the pieces are notorious for needing huge hands; but these little pianists get away with it somehow! Granted, P.C. No. 2 is fantastically evocative, but I think that 3 transcends all of them.

ReputationRep:
    Have my 20th century music exam today...3 hours, 3 essays, no knowledge

Lets hope Stravinsky comes up and it's a darn good question ....

ReputationRep:
    Good luck

Good Rach piece to play is Prelude in C# minor, op3, no.2. Most is quite easy, agitato part and finale (mega chords!) a little tricky though.

ReputationRep:
    Ooo wow, I never new this soc existed!! My love is Einaudi

ReputationRep:
    i stumbled across this in the guardian today:
    http://arts.guardian.co.uk/keynotes/...785419,00.html

pretty cool - a series of aricles on 'building a classical music collection'

good luck 4 2moro sexysax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duck and Cover)
    Ooo wow, I never new this soc existed!! My love is Einaudi
    I love him too!! :love:

Thanks for the good luck messages. The Stravinsky question was heaven..the rest.. well e.r.mm..:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sallykins)
    Rach's harmonies are what makes Rach Rach! Yes, the pieces are notorious for needing huge hands; but these little pianists get away with it somehow! Granted, P.C. No. 2 is fantastically evocative, but I think that 3 transcends all of them.
    lol.. and No.4 would be my favourite! The start(!!)...words fail me

ReputationRep:
    Just to remind people - it's the final of the BBC young musician of the year competition today! Starts at 5:30.

ReputationRep:
    Watching it now. Someone will have to tell me who wins though as I'm leaving for the cinema at 7.30....

ReputationRep:
    The clarinettist won! I though all of them deserved to win to be honest, though perhaps not the guitarist quite as much.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the guitarist was really good but didn't choose a piece to best show off his skills. Glad the clarinettist won.

ReputationRep:
    I missed it! Being at uni I never really know what's on television. I really would have liked to have seen it.

ReputationRep:
    You lucky people, living at the same place.

That Saint-Saëns concerto played by the pianist was a wonderful piece. (although she could have played it better) I need to look into more of his music

ReputationRep:
    I was out but I taped it and will watch it tomorrow when I go back to uni. Glad the clarinettist won, although I hate the piece!

ReputationRep:
    Count me in please! I love classical music...
    Fav composers - Sibelius, Shostakovich, Vaughan Williams, Finzi, Bax, Mahler, Bach, Tubin, Elgar, Ravel, Bartok and loads more i can't remember...
    Doing music A2 right now

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.