Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    Oooh what exam board are you using for Alevel?

I love Ravel His Sonatine for piano :love:

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel - not my decision, you understand!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwi)
    Edexcel - not my decision, you understand!

Argh, poor you!

ReputationRep:
    i am becoming more and more osessed with the early 20th century pieces by the likes of orff, sameul barber, rakhmaninoff etc..

is there an era named after this period?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you just put it under the umbrella of modernism or post-modernism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Wouldn't you just put it under the umbrella of modernism or post-modernism?
    I couldn't see Rachmaninov as postmodern? Modernism maybe.

ReputationRep:
    hi guys im really into classical guitar music at the moment just wondered if anyone else likes the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Argh, poor you!
    Not really - I found the recital part especially fun, and i like the majority of pieces in the anthology. My special study works are Tristan and the Shostakovich quartet.

myst1kal, there are dozens of different groups of 20th century composers, but it's difficult to pigeon-hole them like earlier periods. I'd personally call Rach a "20th-Century Romantic" but just "Late Romantic" would be just as accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frosty87)
    hi guys im really into classical guitar music at the moment just wondered if anyone else likes the same.
    Yeah, I love it! I love Rodrigo at the moment, especially all the movements of Concierto De Aranjuez (but especially Adagio). You should check it out if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwi)
    Not really - I found the recital part especially fun, and i like the majority of pieces in the anthology. My special study works are Tristan and the Shostakovich quartet.

myst1kal, there are dozens of different groups of 20th century composers, but it's difficult to pigeon-hole them like earlier periods. I'd personally call Rach a "20th-Century Romantic" but just "Late Romantic" would be just as accurate.
    Fair enough they might have some good options/pieces top study, but IMO their marking leave much to be desired. Heyho.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing edexcel A level too, my friend is doing A level on a different exam board and he says its so easy, they don't even have to do a recital!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    What exam board is that? I can only imagine that your friend has chosen not to do a recital. It isn't compulsory with every exam board.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing edecell too, i find there is vey little information on the internet about the syllabus and no past papers for listening.

What option are you all doing for the timed composition 3 hour exam?

i know that you can chose with edecell wether you do a recitall or not you just have ot put a portfolio of composition together instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frosty87)
    Im doing edecell too, i find there is vey little information on the internet about the syllabus and no past papers for listening.

What option are you all doing for the timed composition 3 hour exam?

i know that you can chose with edecell wether you do a recitall or not you just have ot put a portfolio of composition together instead.
    In answer to your questions...
    1. I have done every listening paper going back about 5 years, but I suspect only teachers will be able to get hold of these. You will, of course, need the CDs with the excerpts on as well.
    2. I am doing the chorale (compositional techniques) option. Being a church organist this is fairly straightforward.
    3. Yes, the choice is between 20 min recital or two compositions. Although I like composition, there was a three min time limit and having to compose something in one of a few catagories. I found this rather restrictive as I'm certainly not a neo-classical or dance music composer.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm doing Edexcel and I chose composition over recital, mainly because I really don't like the way Edexcel mark performances and thus recitals - too much emphasis on accuracy and too little on interpretation in my book, but that's personal opinion.

ReputationRep:
    a Bach chorale thingy...lovely!! although they're actually not that bad, not as bad as some of the others!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, with edexcel you can play a really good performance, that's convincing, the audience enjoys it,but not get hardly any marks because you messed up a few notes, even though you covered then and a normal audience wouldn't notice. I did the recital, mainly because I;'m useless at composition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbellejess)
    Yeah, with edexcel you can play a really good performance, that's convincing, the audience enjoys it,but not get hardly any marks because you messed up a few notes, even though you covered then and a normal audience wouldn't notice. I did the recital, mainly because I;'m useless at composition
    Hmm, this could be a problem for me as well as i did have a few bum notes, even though my teacher said it was a really emotional performance. They were quite hard pieces, I've never 'played it safe' with performances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I couldn't see Rachmaninov as postmodern? Modernism maybe.
    Rachmaninov is early modern, but is stylistically quite romantic still. (in my opinion of course)
    (If you know his first piano concerto, he takes lots of ideas and writing style from Grieg's Piano Concerto)
    I love Rachmaninov, he is my favourite composer. I'm currently learning the first movement of the Third Piano Piano Concerto, it's a great piece. I went to see it in November last year, it was amazing.

Also I somehow got tricked into having to perform at a small concert this monday with about two weeks notice before, which I really didn't want to do. The only piece which I could play close to concert standard was Chopin's Fantaisie Impromptu (No. 4), Opus. 51.
    Can anyone who knows this piece give me some hints of how it should be played stylistically, as I have no recordings of it, though I did see it in concert a while back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burky)
    Rachmaninov is early modern, but is stylistically quite romantic still. (in my opinion of course)
    (If you know his first piano concerto, he takes lots of ideas and writing style from Grieg's Piano Concerto)
    I love Rachmaninov, he is my favourite composer. I'm currently learning the first movement of the Third Piano Piano Concerto, it's a great piece. I went to see it in November last year, it was amazing.
    Rachmaninov's first piano concerto is absolutely heavenly! I would agree with you about it still being slightly romantic (that would explain why I like it so much, as most of my favourites fit into that category)
    Playing the 3rd sounds quite ambitious (but I'm envious); the intro is very dynamic!

Good luck with that concert :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.