Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glaucon)
    Hello. I'm a newbie. My orchestra's going to Canada. Yey. Wish we were playing last years repetoire though... Schubert's unfinished, Nimrod, Festival Overture by Schostakovich, Kol Nidro (the cello' concerto), Rossini.
    Do you mean 'Kol Nidrei'? Technically it isn't a concerto. I agree it's a lovely piece though, in fact I played it in my recital last year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really liking one of Peter Maxwell Davies' pieces at the moment - "Farewell to Strongness". Modern...obviously...but I really like it

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean 'Kol Nidrei'? Technically it isn't a concerto. I agree it's a lovely piece though, in fact I played it in my recital last year.
    yes - sorry my spelling is never great - espscially not from memory. Kol Nidrei by Bruch. So you're a cellist? Solo 'Cello can be so atmospheric, lovely.

Hello Angelil :hello: - can't say I know the piece - maybe I'll go and find it...

ReputationRep:
    :wavey: Yeah, I've been trying to find an album with it on. No luck so far.

Oh, and I just found this emoticon which I thought would be quite fun for us musicky types:

:musicus:

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm a newbie to the forum (relatively).

Even though I'm a science-type, I do love classical music. I prefer some of the earlier music though, stuff like late Renaissance, Baroque (absolute favourite) and earlier Classical (Rococo and galant stuff).

I adore the WTC, and am a big fan of J.S. Bach. I'm dong GCSE Music at the moment, and Grade 5 Piano. Still, I don't have much musical talent to be honest, just a dilettante trying out what little I know.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've been trying to find an album with it on. No luck so far.
    Amazon should have something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    I'm really liking one of Peter Maxwell Davies' pieces at the moment - "Farewell to Strongness". Modern...obviously...but I really like it
    Stromness .

Love that piece too.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys Been working on an old composition, mainly the ending, and I've come up with a new ending (spoke to a few people on music forums who said they've generally liked it but for the ending). Hopefully the end is now:

1. Rejoiceful enough

2. Not overly predictable

3. Not TOO much of a surprise

4. In keeping with the rest of the piece.

Please let me know what you think, both of the piece in its entirity and the ending Thanks a lot!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip rejoice.zip (20.8 KB, 53 views)

ReputationRep:
    I think you've met your ending criteria! my fingers are itching to start some composition now!!! It's so hard to judge what it would sound like on a real orchestra. Very modern style - reminds me of some compositions I've played in orchestra that have een written in the last 10 years. Good though

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate I am thinking of changing it ever so slightly again. Maybe. But also, other news - for those of you familiar with my Alpine Overture, it's being performed in Rio de Janeiro on Tuesday and the director of music for the orchestra said he will send me a recording!! Can't wait.

ReputationRep:
    it's being performed in Rio de Janeiro on Tuesday and the director of music for the orchestra said he will send me a recording!
    *dead jealous* wow...:eek:

I'm going away for a bit again but I'll be back keep composing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    But also, other news - for those of you familiar with my Alpine Overture, it's being performed in Rio de Janeiro on Tuesday and the director of music for the orchestra said he will send me a recording!! Can't wait.
    Wow, that's fantastic, well done!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well done OAB! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Do you mean 'Kol Nidrei'?
    I just heard the piece, and it's beautiful. Definately worth my 99cents off of iTunes .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Thanks mate I am thinking of changing it ever so slightly again. Maybe. But also, other news - for those of you familiar with my Alpine Overture, it's being performed in Rio de Janeiro on Tuesday and the director of music for the orchestra said he will send me a recording!! Can't wait.
    Whoh! How do you get stuff performed in public then?

ReputationRep:
    I publish my scores on www.sibeliusmusic.com If you're an aspiring computer & use sibelius then I really recommend it. You get quite a lot of hits!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to the Prom on Sunday...all Mozart..heaven!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    I'm going to the Prom on Sunday...all Mozart..heaven!
    Lucky you!!! *Turns green with jealousy*

I wish I could go, but sadly I can't. What's the programme?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, I can't wait!

Violin Concerto No. 2 in D major, K211
    Sinfonia Concertante in E flat major, K364
    Violin Concerto No. 4 in D major, K218
    Symphony No. 29 in A major, K201

ReputationRep:
    We now have 75 members! :tsr2: :party:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.