Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    Yay!

And the Prom was amazing! Maxim Vengerov is wow!

ReputationRep:
    Who's Maxim Vengerov?

By the way, does anyone know any of Carl Davis' music?

ReputationRep:
    He's a violinist!

http://maximvengerovfans.webeden.co.uk/

Google him, loads of stuff comes up!

ReputationRep:
    I know it's thinking ahead a bit (or at least I hope it is), but what classical peice would you most like to have at your own funeral?

For me it would be Bach's Brandenburg Concertos... all 107 minutes of them

ReputationRep:
    Mozart's Requiem :love:.

ReputationRep:
    I would have the enigma variations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Who's Maxim Vengerov?

By the way, does anyone know any of Carl Davis' music?
    Carl Davis wrote the music for the seventies' tv series The World At War. Albeit, he borrows heavily from Shostakovich, but it's better than the incessant-drum-rhythm-and-chords type of documentry music we have nowerdays. If you have Freeview, UKTV History have been showing parts of the series some weeks recently. I don't know anything else he did, though.

(Original post by sebyevans)
    what classical piece would you have at you funeral?
    Hmm... possibly the last movement of Tchaikovsky 6, or the Faure requiem, or Sibelius 7.

ReputationRep:
    I was listening to James Horner's score to The New World... does anyone else feel there's more than a bit of borrowing from Shostakovitch there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwi)
    Carl Davis wrote the music for the seventies' tv series The World At War. Albeit, he borrows heavily from Shostakovich, but it's better than the incessant-drum-rhythm-and-chords type of documentry music we have nowerdays. If you have Freeview, UKTV History have been showing parts of the series some weeks recently. I don't know anything else he did, though.
    All I know (apart from what you've just told me_ is that he wrote an orchestral score for Buster Keaton's The General and it rocks

In this he borrows heavily from traditional American civil war-time songs, but they fit so well and he uses them perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to a Prom tonight!! Beethoven 5 and Tchaikovsky 5. I can hardly wait, as the Beethoven is one of my favourite pieces. Lucy (HistoryStudent on TSR) is going too, and my Dad. Was going to go with an ex-housemate, but she had to pull out yesterday...

ReputationRep:
    Have fun! It sounds a good concert!

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished watching the afforementioned Prom on BBC4, and can only say that it was absolutely stunning. Both the symphonies had an incredible intensity, especially the slow movement of T5. If I ever meet the principal horn, I'll gladly buy him a drink. Amazing stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebyevans)
    I know it's thinking ahead a bit (or at least I hope it is), but what classical piece would you most like to have at your own funeral?
    An arrangement of all of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier for 5-part choir + 10 soloists with bits of modern symphony orchestra + string quartet + baroque orchestra (preferably strings + continuo of harpsichord & theorbo + oboes + flutes + bassoons + recorders + horns & trumpets in the keys that they will occur + trombone/sackbut + viol consort) + grand piano + organ (just a plain 3-manual one; don't really care about the stops, just as long as it's powerful but not piercing), with different arrangements for each prelude & fugue set.
    The prelude & fugue from Book 2 in Bb minor should have the fullest orchestration.

Or, if I won't be able to have such an entourage, maybe just the prelude & fugue from BkII in Bb minor for 4-part choir & organ.

ReputationRep:
    Did you enjoy it kew?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Did you enjoy it kew?
    Oh yes, it was fantastic! Sadly my feet were killing me by the end, because I was a prommer in the arena and therefore had to stand up throughout. It was well worth it, though!

Have you ever been to the Last Night, or know anyone who's been? I've always wanted to go, but it's really hard to get tickets.

ReputationRep:
    Glad you enjoyed it!

I've never been to the Last Night, it would be so so expensive! Don't you have to go to about 6 other Proms to stand a chance?!

ReputationRep:
    what classical peice would you most like to have at your own funeral?
    "Beim Schlafengehen", the third (or is it the second?) of Strauss's 4 Last songs. Also, because I enjoy a laugh, Mahler's 6th Symphony

To the Last Night of the Proms, I would never go - I can't stand the thought of paying to hear Brittannia and all that rubbish. It's practically the same programme each year anyway.

And with that, I enter the society! Hello all. I'm a long-standing music fan, I play Flute passably, Piano badly, and if paid enough (and allowed to wear a mask and not have my name mentioned) the Recorder (yes, it's my shame, I know)...

I'm not going to try and list my favourite composers because there are so many of them! Mozart would probably be the no1 favourite though, if only because I know more of his work than anyone else's.

I will end my post with a recommendation... anyone not familiar with Mozart's 15th Piano Concerto should have a listen - the famous ones are the 20's but the 15th is absolutely fantastic! Well worth a listen.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you about the 15th! I love Mozart too!

There is nothing shameful about playing the recorder, it's people like you who play it and are embarrassed about it that make it that way! I play it, not very well but I am getting lessons in a few months in the hope that I can make it my second study. I know quite a few very good recorder players so don't diss it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Oh yes, it was fantastic! Sadly my feet were killing me by the end, because I was a prommer in the arena and therefore had to stand up throughout. It was well worth it, though!

Have you ever been to the Last Night, or know anyone who's been? I've always wanted to go, but it's really hard to get tickets.
    Ive been went in 2004, was really good fun. And yes you do have to go to 6 others, but I would have gone to them anyway so was all good. Cost me about 70 quid altogether I should think.

A lot of people criticise the Last Night for being crap and and not proper music... all I have to say to that is :aetsch: stop ruining the end of term party!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    I agree with you about the 15th! I love Mozart too!

There is nothing shameful about playing the recorder, it's people like you who play it and are embarrassed about it that make it that way! I play it, not very well but I am getting lessons in a few months in the hope that I can make it my second study. I know quite a few very good recorder players so don't diss it!
    I said I *could* play it, but I don't, because I can't stand it. It would be OK if I had a proper one but all I have are cheapo plastic ones which are vile sounding (and dribble).

Favourite Mozart Symphony? I'd say #38.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.