Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    Argh I love all his symphonies! Erm the famous 40 and 41 I love and 29 in A major is great too!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Can I just say... Mmmmmm Rachmaninov!

Hehehe!

And Beethoven of course.

Anyone here into sacred choral music?
    I grew up singing in a cathedral choir, so I'm very into old sacred music.

ReputationRep:
    I'm into it, but only familiar with very few pieces. Tallis Spem in Alium is the only one that comes to mind - no wait, and Allegri's Miserere. My parents are in an early music choir so I get exposed to it quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    I'm going to a Prom tonight!! Beethoven 5 and Tchaikovsky 5. I can hardly wait, as the Beethoven is one of my favourite pieces. Lucy (HistoryStudent on TSR) is going too, and my Dad. Was going to go with an ex-housemate, but she had to pull out yesterday...
    I went as to that one, may well have seen you - I was promming as well. Great thing about the Proms is I can literally text a mate on the day and say "dya fancy seeing this one today" - don't have to worry too much about the price or availability. Last Night of the Proms (I'm not a huge fan) - Dad got a pair of tickets this year (he works for the BBC) and suggested I went with him, but I was busy that night and wasn't too fussed about it, so mum went instead. They seemed to enjoy it.

Vengerov - top performance. I'm a fan of Power as well (being a viola player myself). I was working during the day but listened to it back on the web. That was the day we couldn't get to the evening prom cos the underground weren't running because of the rain...talking of which I hope I'll be able to take the train tomorrow looking at this weather...Sorry, I digress...

I was pleased though this year because there were proportionally more young people and less grey-heads at the Proms it seemed to me. Obviously, I don't have a problem with older people but for the sake of the future of the classical tradition yada yada yada...a sticky topic indeed. Seemed illogical to me which concerts were full, which empty though. Went to see Shostakovich 7, and the RAH was half empty. Bruch Violin Concerto (dreadful piece...don't get me started on Joshua Bell!) and Shostakovich 10 - almost full. Bloody Classic FM and their over-playing of the Bruch I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you're not suggesting that DSCH 10 is an 'urgh' piece too...nah, course not!

ReputationRep:
    No course not - but I just happen to be a massive fan of Leningrad .

ReputationRep:
    Holst anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimistic)
    Holst anyone?
    Yes - good composer! And I don't mean just The Planets, there are dozens of other great and undeservedly deglected pieces - Egdon Heath, the two band suites, Perfect Fool, oh, loads of stuff!

In fact, you could try playing a variant of 'ten famous Belgians' about pieces by Holst, Bizet, etc...just a thought!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimistic)
    Holst anyone?
    I love his 'Hymn To Jesus'. It's so beautiful, particularly the passage of plainsong he uses at various points throughout the piece.

ReputationRep:
    Shostakovich is a good composer, but works like the Leningrad aren't very Classic efFeMy, if you know what I mean - I don't see the average CFM listener sitting through anything that long or sophisticated - just the usual course of romantic Violin Concerto slow movements. Considering CFM has something like 10 million listeners, they pretty much decide what's popular and what's not, in this country anyway. Just look at Rakhmaninov Piano Concerto #2 - great piece, but the weakest movement is the second (or maybe the third - the first is certainly the strongest), which CFM play most. DSCH PC#2's slow movement beats RKPC#2's any day!

Besides, the best Proms are the empty ones - more room so you're not squashed next to a tearful old woman and a huge man with greasy hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Figaro123)
    Shostakovich is a good composer, but works like the Leningrad aren't very Classic efFeMy, if you know what I mean - I don't see the average CFM listener sitting through anything that long or sophisticated - just the usual course of romantic Violin Concerto slow movements. Considering CFM has something like 10 million listeners, they pretty much decide what's popular and what's not, in this country anyway. Just look at Rakhmaninov Piano Concerto #2 - great piece, but the weakest movement is the second (or maybe the third - the first is certainly the strongest), which CFM play most. DSCH PC#2's slow movement beats RKPC#2's any day!

Besides, the best Proms are the empty ones - more room so you're not squashed next to a tearful old woman and a huge man with greasy hair.
    Plus, RAH is acoustically better when it's empty, well from the performer's earpoint from my experience. Well said, but I think the reason why Shosti 7 isn't played on Classic FM isn't because it doesn't have whistleable melodies because it does, but because the movements are long, especially the famous first movement (which originally was written as a free standing one movement symphony incidentally). For various reasons, Classic FM won't test the attention span of their listeners with longer pieces...or indeed whole symphonies or concertos (!)...Radio 3 all the way anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatboy06)
    Plus, RAH is acoustically better when it's empty, well from the performer's earpoint from my experience. Well said, but I think the reason why Shosti 7 isn't played on Classic FM isn't because it doesn't have whistleable melodies because it does, but because the movements are long, especially the famous first movement (which originally was written as a free standing one movement symphony incidentally). For various reasons, Classic FM won't test the attention span of their listeners with longer pieces...or indeed whole symphonies or concertos (!)...Radio 3 all the way anyway.
    I'd add that the rather heavy political connotations of Shostakovich's music are hardly ideal for Joe Public working in his office, either. Classic FM is light and easily digestible; you don't have to give it your full attention, making it ideal for driving etc. R3 is simply intended for more serious listening - and it's also worth remembering that they also broadcast jazz, world and speech-based programmes too.

That said, it's nice to be able to hear music without it being interrupted by noisy adverts for car insurance every five minutes. I also get rather annoyed by the way composers and artists are discussed as being like pop musicians - as if there is some kind of constant 'battle of the bands' between Mozart, Bach and Beethovan or whoever. With regard to seldom playing complete works, consistancy is sacrificed by the need to please as many listeners as possible by cramming as many different 'moods' into the shortest possible time. People expect only to hear excerpts - somebody phoned in on a requests programme asking to hear 'something from Offenbach's overture' - well, an overture is an excerpt in itself! You can argue, of course, that the individual movements of a larger work contain contrasts - indeed, this is essential - but for me, one of the attractions of what we should really call 'art music' is the way in which a composer can bring together many small parts into a coherent whole. You would not watch only the first half-hour of a film or read only the first chapter of a book. I'm afraid Classic FM is somewhat symptomatic of the trend for impatience and instant gratification in modern society. This, of course, is part of the reason why classical music and the iPod are not exactly made for one another, but that's another thread...

ReputationRep:
    I wholeheartedly agree! I don't listen to the radio much for this reason.

But I will say that a classical music listener can get as much out of an Mp3 player as anyone else - just make sure you have one with a decent memory capacity and not one of those awful shuffle-type things which only have space for half a symphony. Mine is a Creative one with 20GB, I don't envision ever owning enough music to fill it. Bliss!

ReputationRep:
    Plus, RAH is acoustically better when it's empty, well from the performer's earpoint from my experience.
    Well personally speaking, I've never played to an empty RAH.....

(Sorry, couldn't resist....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sopharama)
    Well personally speaking, I've never played to an empty RAH.....

(Sorry, couldn't resist....)
    I have :cool:

ReputationRep:
    How do I join?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Ha! I've played to a full RAH! No joke either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwi)
    Yeah, I was referring to the rehersal when it was empty by the way ...

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, Classic FM does play whole symphonies and concertos sometimes, in the evening concert....

I do see what you mean, though. They seem to cater much more for people who are 'light' in their tastes than for the more 'serious' listeners. I wish they'd try to strike the balance a bit better, but I suppose it's more profitable to do what they're doing at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I meant....All three times I've played there it's been full And a couple of million viewers on tv as well.....

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.