Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    Bah to the musical oneupmanship! (Is that a word??) As for MP3 players, I have a Zen but only use it for non-classical music as 1) I don't "do" listening to classical music on the go which is when I use it and 2) I'm not a fan of listening to classical music when severely compressed.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard of several ways to make mp3 players (mostly the iPod) more 'classical friendly', but the fact is they are eminantly unsuitable. They do not allow for any distinction between 'artist' (which we would take to mean the composer) and the performer. It is also not possible to imput libretti/programme notes - although you wouldn't want to spend the entire track scrolling around those tiny screens. There are also cases of the volume being unacceptably low (the makers assuming everyone wants to have it at brain-blasting levels rather than intimately listening) and the irritating gaps between tracks - (the makers again forgetting that some pop albums are supposed to have joined tracks, let alone opera).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwi)
    I have heard of several ways to make mp3 players (mostly the iPod) more 'classical friendly', but the fact is they are eminantly unsuitable. They do not allow for any distinction between 'artist' (which we would take to mean the composer) and the performer. It is also not possible to imput libretti/programme notes - although you wouldn't want to spend the entire track scrolling around those tiny screens. There are also cases of the volume being unacceptably low (the makers assuming everyone wants to have it at brain-blasting levels rather than intimately listening) and the irritating gaps between tracks - (the makers again forgetting that some pop albums are supposed to have joined tracks, let alone opera).
    Almost all true, I'll grant you that - though I've never had problems with volume, and I wouldn't want to read the libretti/program notes etc while on the go anyway. While this sort of thing is annoying, I've not come accross a single CD player which didn't suffer from the same problems, so I don't really think they're inherent to Mp3 players per se.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here familiar with all of Sibelius's symphonies? I only know no. 5, and think it's a great piece (particularly the last movement). However, I was wondering how it compares to his other symphonies.

ReputationRep:
    Try number 2, it's pretty accesible. I'm not a huge fan of the cycle really, but give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I just thought I should introduce myself. I'm Ben, currently 17 and studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry to A2 at a local Sixth Form College.

I play the piano, and thoroughly enjoy listening to classical piano pieces, as well as other classical music. My favourite composers would have to be the classics, Chopin, Bach, Beethoven...

ReputationRep:
    Weeelll, Bach's actually baroque, but I get what you mean :p:

Welcome

ReputationRep:
    I took that as classics being the most well known composers???

Hi Ben .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    I took that as classics being the most well known composers???

Hi Ben .
    Yeeeeah, I knew what he meant.....was just being pedantic :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    20 And 3 of them were half-decent composers themselves.

I want a big book on classical music for my birthday - any recommendations?

I am very probably far too late for this, but the Stephen Fry one is very good, I don't remember what it's called though, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Is anyone here familiar with all of Sibelius's symphonies? I only know no. 5, and think it's a great piece (particularly the last movement). However, I was wondering how it compares to his other symphonies.
    Yeah, 2's pretty great. I mean it has a double bass soli section. How could it not be?

ReputationRep:
    Been away for a week so not posted! I saw a symphony orchestra in Germany play Bruckner's 4th symphony amongst other things, was great .

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to join!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Yeeeeah, I knew what he meant.....was just being pedantic :p:
    Well then surely a more obvious mistake would be classifying Chopin as classical period! IMO, Classical and Baroque have far more in common than Classical and Romantic (which is how I would classify the vast majority of Chopin's works).

ReputationRep:
    If you talk about a musical "period" then yes Classical is Mozart etc, but most people, myself included, nowadays just use the term "Classical" to describe all that kind of music all in one.

We could argue for hours as to whether that is correct or not lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoMakeSayThink)
    IMO, Classical and Baroque have far more in common than Classical and Romantic
    I'd be inclined to agree, though you would have to be careful to take the length of both the Baroque and Romantic periods into account. For example, if you compared Haydn with John Blow then you wouldn't think there was as much in common between the Classical and Baroque periods as you would if you compared him with Scarlatti. Likewise, if you compared Mozart with late 'Romantic' Beethoven then you'd find a much closer connection between the two periods than if you compared him with Brahms.

I suppose 'Romantic' is a bit more of an umbrella term than 'Classical' (in its strict sense) or 'Baroque' are.

ReputationRep:
    Can I join please??

ReputationRep:
    Yeeeh .

ReputationRep:
    Thank youuuu. I don't really know all this fancy stuff people are talking about - harmony etc etc. I understand what it is, obviously, after five years of piano, but I've never actually analysed what I played. It's fascinating to learn about though...

Myself, I like mostly anything classical. Don't like the violin too much, far prefer the deeper instruments, and I'm not a big fan of the brass. I LOVE ballet music (Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, etc), adore Bach, Mozart, and Vivaldi - even though he did a lot with the violin. Beethoven is great, Handel (oh God, the Coronation Anthem), Haydn...the list goes on

Opera is also fantastic - Maria Callas, Andrea Boccelli, Pavarotti - my favourite is BY FAR Turandot....Nessun Dorma kind of brings tears to my eyes :blushes:

ReputationRep:
    I've been listening to Sky and Yngwie Malmsteen's takes on classical music a lot recently. I love it!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.