Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    OK...question: I'm thinking of buying my boyfriend a recording of the Magic Flute (on CD) for Valentine's Day. Does anyone know of any particularly good recordings that they would recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J'en ai marre)
    I've just returned from an orchestral course where we were playing Elgar's (not very well known) Falstaff. It has some beautiful moments but I think that it is a little on the long side. I adore the Cello Concerto, and may be playing it in summer (in the orchestra unfortunately). Alternatively, I may choose to do do another orchestral course and end up doing the Enigma Variations. Basically, the choice is Elgar or Elgar.

Just now I am liking a lot Beethoven's late String Quartet in C sharp minor and Clara Schumann's Piano Trio.
    Oh My God, I got the Band of Brothers Soundtrack just because String Quartet in C#m was on it, it's a beautiful piece. I also got Mozart's Great Mass in C minor and Adagio and Fugue in C minor. B.E.A.utiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    OK...question: I'm thinking of buying my boyfriend a recording of the Magic Flute (on CD) for Valentine's Day. Does anyone know of any particularly good recordings that they would recommend?

Without hesitation I'd recommend the Karl Böhm recording (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Die-Z...UTF8&s=music); remarkable cast, flawless conducting. There's also the Klemperer recording, although its stately (if not glacial) pace is perhaps too slow for most modern listeners.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

I hate recordings that deliberately slow down the tempo, it drives me nuts! The one you recommended looks good though

ReputationRep:
    Anyone still here??

I like classical music - mostly I listen to the most well known 'songs/tracks' - can someone recommend somesort of complete Opera/compsition type thing that might totally blow me away?

ReputationRep:
    For accessability:
    Any of the Beethoven Symphonies but especially 6,7,8,9
    Faure's Requiem
    Mozart's Requiem, Clarinet Concerto, Flute and harp Concerto, lots of the piano concertos esp. 21
    Elgar's 'Cello concerto
    Mussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition" (the Ravel orechestration)
    Holst's "The Planets"
    Dvorak's "From The New World" and 'cello concerto

(It sounds like a Classic FM playlist :p:)

ReputationRep:
    Oh I might need to join this when uni starts, always works a treat (listening to classical music) whilst studying :proud:

ReputationRep:
    Just listening to some Juan Diego Florez...he's singing some stuff from La Fille du Regiment :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fletch)
    Dvorak's "From The New World" and 'cello concerto
    Two of my favourite pieces

I love Grieg though, try his Piano Concerto, Peer Gynt, and the lyric pieces. I picked up a norwegian copy of the latter (all of them) in sheet music, and have been happily improving my sight reading with them ever since. I've played 5 or 6 properly, including one in my Diploma (Wedding at Troldhagen).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I've played 5 or 6 properly, including one in my Diploma (Wedding at Troldhagen).
    We're doing the orchestral arrangement of that in orchestra at the moment.

I like the Piano Concerto; 'tis nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_elusive_musician)
    We're doing the orchestral arrangement of that in orchestra at the moment.

I like the Piano Concerto; 'tis nice!
    the thing I like about Grieg is that it's so distinctive. You can always tell that it's him. I haven't yet quite worked out what it is, it's difficult to think about chord progressions etc. when actually listening to it, but I think it's something about how he uses the chords, and how the music fits in with them (I hear sarcastic cries of "really!?" ) It's probably to do with the fact that his music was heavily based on traditional Norwegian folk music.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah, I know what you mean. His music couldn't be anybody else's but Grieg's. Useful in exams when they go, "Now, which composer could have written this...?"

Mozart's easy to identify too; same with Bach, Debussy...Schoenberg.

ReputationRep:
    ...and also Vaughn Williams. The folk element again.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget our good friend Elgar I love his 'From the Bavarian Highlands' suite which so rarely gets played The vocalised version is played even more rarely...

ReputationRep:
    Two of my favourite pieces

I love Grieg though, try his Piano Concerto, Peer Gynt, and the lyric pieces. I picked up a norwegian copy of the latter (all of them) in sheet music, and have been happily improving my sight reading with them ever since. I've played 5 or 6 properly, including one in my Diploma (Wedding at Troldhagen).
    I always have the Holberg Suite on my MP3 player. It's enlightening to compare the piano version (which I think he wrote first) to the string version.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know there was a piano version of the Holberg Suite - which one do you prefer?

ReputationRep:
    Gah I don't know what to do my dissertation on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Gah I don't know what to do my dissertation on.
    How about the effect that Folk Music has had on classical composers?

or something on West Gallery music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Didn't know there was a piano version of the Holberg Suite - which one do you prefer?
    Listening, I prefer the string version - the orchestration is so elegant and subtle; witty in places. But of course, playing it is a whole different pleasure and, being primarily an arranger, I love seeing how he translates the piano techniques onto strings.

ReputationRep:
    ...and also Vaughn Williams. The folk element again.
    Vaughn Williams... ah did tallis last term with my orchestra. its just so great. the orchestration and harmonies are just amazing.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.