Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    How about the effect that Folk Music has had on classical composers?

or something on West Gallery music.
    I think if I am allowed to I'm going to do Mozart's writing for the clarinet with emphasis on the concerto and quintet but with reference to his orchestral writing for the instrument too. Need to check it over with a few lecturers though and start thinking about how many credits I want to do in it. Can I write 14,000 words on that?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    You could start with how the clarinet developed from the hecklephone to imitate the high baroque trumpet sound (clarion-ette) or how Mozart's treatment of it as an instrument in it's own right influence subsequent composers. (If you need some more words that is.) Sounds like a good topic, and a good excuse to listen to the quartet and concerto many times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fletch)
    You could start with how the clarinet developed from the hecklephone to imitate the high baroque trumpet sound (clarion-ette) or how Mozart's treatment of it as an instrument in it's own right influence subsequent composers. (If you need some more words that is.) Sounds like a good topic, and a good excuse to listen to the quartet and concerto many times.
    Chalemeau surely? The heckelphone is a baritone oboe, invented by the heckel company after the clarinet I thought (might be wrong).

Check back issues of the Galpin Society Journal, I'm sure they'll have info on that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    You're probably right. I know the chalumeau is an ancestor but I thought I was told the hecklephone was a more immediate predecessor (didn't look it up tho'). I will now.

ReputationRep:
    Of couse you were right I was thinking of the basset horn (Mozart's mate Anton Stadler) not the hecklephone.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, basset horn was very early. Denner's improvement on the chalemeau was the addition of a register key. From that the Basset horn, and hence the modern clarinet were formed.

The really interesting bit is looking at the key systems that have emerged over the years, the Albert, Oehler, Muller, Clinton, Romero, Mazzeo, McSomebodyorother...

Look at the keywork on this one

http://www.jayeaston.com/galleries/c...clarinets.html

Scroll down to the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    That's a beauty! But I haven't that many fingers.
    I tried a glass mouthpiece on my sax once - very cold.

(It sounds like a Classic FM playlist :p:)
    How I do dislike Classic FM; their uninspired and narrow range of music, the crass adverts, and some of the "celebrity" presenters. Listening to Classic FM gives me a sudden urge to bang my head against a plank of wood.

A "Classic FM Haters Society" would be a welcome addition to TSR.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: Esp Simon Bates's "School Run" which I sometimes have to endure if I get a lift in the morning off my parents. I just *do not* care which 8 year old has passed her Grade 1 Violin!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lusus Naturae)
    How I do dislike Classic FM; their uninspired and narrow range of music, the crass adverts, and some of the "celebrity" presenters. Listening to Classic FM gives me a sudden urge to bang my head against a plank of wood.

A "Classic FM Haters Society" would be a welcome addition to TSR.
    For 'professional' classical music listeners it's a kind of an uninspired and narrow range of music, but for 'beginners' it's probably a good way to get them listening to classical music. Better listen to Classic FM than not to any classical music... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I tend to listen to it if I don't want to overthink; if you have a familiar piece of music in the background then you can just tune out, whereas if you're listening to Radio 3 or something you more often than not have to give all your attention to understanding a new piece of music.

ReputationRep:
    Classic FM's biggest flaw is the adverts. It's second biggest flaw is that most of the music that it plays are "smooth" or "relaxing", i.e. the majority are drab and unimajinative, and very dull.

Radio three has more opera than my taste allows though

ReputationRep:
    The major problem that I do have with Classic FM (apart from its playlist!) is the fact that it always plays the same versions of things, and they're rarely the best versions, particularly in terms of opera. Emma Kirkby sings the most beautiful version of 'Laudate Dominum' I've ever heard (she has a very pure, clear voice with excellent diction, for those who don't know) and yet they always insist on playing a version of some warbly soprano (who probably should have stopped singing ten years ago) singing it. I also love Natalie Dessay but they never play anything that she sings. On a couple of pieces (Zadok the Priest comes to mind) they also insist on playing versions where the tempo has been slowed to an annoying extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    The major problem that I do have with Classic FM (apart from its playlist!) is the fact that it always plays the same versions of things, and they're rarely the best versions, particularly in terms of opera. Emma Kirkby sings the most beautiful version of 'Laudate Dominum' I've ever heard (she has a very pure, clear voice with excellent diction, for those who don't know) and yet they always insist on playing a version of some warbly soprano (who probably should have stopped singing ten years ago) singing it. I also love Natalie Dessay but they never play anything that she sings. On a couple of pieces (Zadok the Priest comes to mind) they also insist on playing versions where the tempo has been slowed to an annoying extent.
    Couldn't agree more, she has an exquisite voice and Mozart should presented (IMO) in a direct and unsentimental way.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with above. And also register my hatred of their "Baroque and roll" adverts
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    And the adverts that say stuff like, "Relaaaaax...with Classic FM...". Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't agree more, she has an exquisite voice and Mozart should presented (IMO) in a direct and unsentimental way.
    Absolutely, what puts me off opera is the warblers. I've heard lovely versions of opera sung by people who use a very clear tone with minimal vibrato, but rarely on Classic FM.

ReputationRep:
    I heard a wonderfully old fashioned version of Rigoletto in Prague once. The performers had curtain calls after each aria, the bass really was the sopranos father and the audience (dressed in their ordinary street clothes) were shouting encouragement and clapping after every number. The British members of the audience were not amused .

ReputationRep:
    Saw the Messiah on Saturday night in Derby Cathedral .

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard the Mozart arrangement? Much lighter and with more variety in the wind (clarinets for example). Harry Christophers did a good recording of it with his group The Sixteen for BBC Music magazine a few years ago.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.