Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I haven't, no. I don't particularly like the piece anyway so I don't go out of my way to find other recordings of it etc.

ReputationRep:
    Fair comment - I only got it because it was on the cover of the magazine and 'cos Harry was an old college mate. :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's my orchestra's concert next week. The three pieces are:
    - Farandole from Bizet.
    - E.T. from Williams.
    - Theme from Schindler's List from Williams.

Hardly diverse.

ReputationRep:
    Not that diverse but I can think of many worse things to play

I'm going to see a Mendelssohn oepra next week but I compeltely forgot what it's called :p:

ReputationRep:
    I saw Bachs B Minor Mass last weekend in the cathedral by the woodmansterne collection. The programmes were free :eek3:, and the music was very good.

Will the UK ever get a radio station that only plays a wide range classical music?

ReputationRep:
    What are you major gripes with Radio 3? I don't think there are many better stations in the world really. OK, there are jazz and drama sections, but the majority of it is Classical, and pretty eclectic really.

(Original post by Rich_b)
    What are you major gripes with Radio 3? I don't think there are many better stations in the world really. OK, there are jazz and drama sections, but the majority of it is Classical, and pretty eclectic really.
    Rich, they play some terribly strange music late at night. To my untrained ears, some of it sounds like a person wailing while they smash a violin up; while other parts sound like pop music, just in another language. Maybe I'm just not "cultured" - or PC - enough for this music?

ReputationRep:
    Late Junction is fab!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_b)
    For my mind, too much talking, too much opera, not enough music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lusus Naturae)
    To my untrained ears, some of it sounds like a person wailing while they smash a violin up
    That would be Maxwell Davies' 8 Songs for a Mad King.

I saw the New World Symphony last week. It was great.

ReputationRep:
    I never listen to classical radio I really should because I want to branch out more. I'm stuck on the big names of classical still at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J'en ai marre)
    That would be Maxwell Davies' 8 Songs for a Mad King.

I saw the New World Symphony last week. It was great.
    Heard some of PMD's "Mrs. Donnithorne's Maggot" a while back. Equally crazy

ReputationRep:
    Don't like Mozart, Beethoven or Haydn.

Love Chopin, Rachmaninov, Brahms, Liszt, Tchaikovsky and Bach (and some Prokofiev)

How do I make this part of 'My Societies' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lusus Naturae)
    Rich, they play some terribly strange music late at night. To my untrained ears, some of it sounds like a person wailing while they smash a violin up; while other parts sound like pop music, just in another language. Maybe I'm just not "cultured" - or PC - enough for this music?
    Some of it is a little pretentious, yes, but a lot of it can be quite interesting. I rememebr swithcing to Radio 3 quite late a few years ago and was subsequently introduced to the music of Steve Reich (I know not exactly out there, but hey I'd never heard of him before) and Squarepusher, both of which I now listen to regularly. There was also some mighty cool other stuff on the programme which I didn't follow up the details of....but I greatly enjoyed it and I think its definitely important to experience things you normally wouldn't from time to time.

ReputationRep:
    Each to his own I suppose, though I do kinda know where you're coming from with Mozart etc.

Try some Grieg. Everyone should try Grieg.

ReputationRep:
    Wait till Sexysax hears of your Mozart-bashing! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I just ignore it now :rolleyes:. Each to their own I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Mozart is interesting, and for a long time I didn't like him just because he is so overplayed. That's untl a couple of years ago I started to listen to some of his stuff off my own bat. He's still not my favourite composer, and I still don't like some aspects of his style, but I can see why people like him so.

ReputationRep:
    everyone likes Mozart, its just that they fall into two categories - those that know they like Mozart, and those that don't. yet....:p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.