Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    hehe true

Personally I think the First Horn Concerto in D Major is musical perfection, but I am biased, as a "hornist" myself

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the Flanders and Swann version of the 4th in Eb

ReputationRep:
    Haha I managed to find a recording off the net of that after much searching

"I'll take up the tuba instead"

ReputationRep:
    Wah Wah!

ReputationRep:
    "I found my horn, gorn!"

ReputationRep:
    On April 15 I'm going to perform Le Carnaval des Animaux (Saint-Saens) in the version for two pianos and orchestra! My reaction was both WOW and AAAAAAAH (study whole concert in two weeks). The other pianist has suggested to take off from school a few days in the last week to study full-time.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with the finale.

ReputationRep:
    lol...

I rehearsed it with the other pianist today, and most went well (we actually managed to play no. 3 really together on MM = 180 or something!!!), although it was pretty unneat (since I got the whole sheet music just a week ago). The finale didn't went really well :p:, but we still have two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Hello... first post here.

Listening to the cricket with Chopin in the background

ReputationRep:
    My, you are the epitome of middle class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_b)
    My, you are the epitome of middle class
    Jolly good shout old chap!

You could be on to something there :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I never listen to classical radio I really should because I want to branch out more. I'm stuck on the big names of classical still at the moment.

Cant beat the big names to be honest. Centuries of critics and audiences have wittled "The Canon" down to a pretty universally acclaimed core of great music/composers. Of course there is plenty of other really good stuff out there, but you cant go wrong with Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Schubert, Wagner etc.

ReputationRep:
    Grieg, Vaughn Williams, Schubert, Dvořák, Stadlmayr...

ReputationRep:
    And Vaughn Williams' "The Lark Ascending" is the #1 in the Classic FM Hall of Fame!

(Original post by ukebert)
    And Vaughn Williams' "The Lark Ascending" is the #1 in the Classic FM Hall of Fame!
    I object to this list for two reasons.

1) You cannot try and rank the works of genius from completely different periods. The pinnacles of art cannot be compared so recklessly; for young people growing up, they are classifying such great works against each other as though they were faddish pop songs.

2) Some composers, and seminal works, are overlooked. There is no Bach in the top 30, and no Chopin in the top 60! Similarly, I have a great deal of respect for Einaudi, but I suspect the man himself would be a little over-flattered at having his "Le Onde" and "I Giorni" ranked higher, in the views of the listeners, than any of the preludes or fugues in Bach's WTC, as well as higher than the complete piano sonatas of Chopin and Prokofiev.

Alas, the film music for "Gladiator" is higher than Bach's Mass in B Minor...

Does anybody agree with me?

ReputationRep:
    I know, I know...

It's rediculous of course, but it's quite fun to listen to, and it's interesting to get the views of 'the nation'.

ReputationRep:
    There were only 5 great composers; Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Brahms. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epicurus)
    There were only 5 great composers; Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Brahms. That is all.
    ok... If you say so :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I really, really, really don't like Brahms. I find his music to be really bland and boring.

ReputationRep:
    I feel similarly, but maybe I just haven't given it enough time

I have been told Brahms is like the Malt Whiskey of music - you can't really appreciate it until you are in your 40s.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.