Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    No, there isn't anything that grabs my attention.

ReputationRep:
    Heya, hope you don't mind if I post! I'd like to put in a good word for Grieg, Stravinsky, (Firebird suite - Amazing!), and Tchaikovsky.

Also, ClassicFm is great to listen to sometimes, just because I've played so many of the pieces that come up in orchestras! However, there are only so many times you can hear Barber's Adagio for strings before wanting to cut off your own ears with a spoon.

Can anybody tell me how to join a society on here please? I'm new, and when I clickerdy click the socs tab at the top of the page, it doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there's a bit of trouble with the socs, a key admin guy left in not quite explained circumstances, and took his 3rd party hacks (whatever they are) with him. Therefore, no socs. However, it is being seen to.

I strongly agree with the Grieg by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, yes, Grieg is the sex.

I saw some people on here talking about the wonders of pictures at an exhibition; would it be controversial for me to say that The Gnome is possibly the single worst piece I've ever played?! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epicurus)
    There were only 5 great composers; Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Brahms. That is all.
    How can u POSSIBLY miss out Bach? I'm not particularly into him myself but this guy wrote a cantata for every Sunday of the year, loads of truly stonking Passions and masses, as well as a whole mountain of chamber music! if that's not "great" then I don't know what is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaE)
    Hehe, yes, Grieg is the sex.

I saw some people on here talking about the wonders of pictures at an exhibition; would it be controversial for me to say that The Gnome is possibly the single worst piece I've ever played?! :P
    True it's a bugger to play but listen to Ravel's orchestration. :rolleyes:

Going back to the Proms, there's nothing very challenging but some of the film music might be interesting; you don't often hear Korngold in concert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim Martin)
    How can u POSSIBLY miss out Bach? I'm not particularly into him myself but this guy wrote a cantata for every Sunday of the year, loads of truly stonking Passions and masses, as well as a whole mountain of chamber music! if that's not "great" then I don't know what is!
    I think he misspelt "Bach" when he typed "Brahms".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim Martin)
    Sorry did I miss Bach? What was I thinking; yes he is a great composer. ;yes; And no I meant for Brahms to be in my list. The Haydn Variations is class.

ReputationRep:
    On another topic, what do people think of the Classical Brits nominations/awards this year?
    http://classicalbrits.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I think he misspelt "Bach" when he typed "Brahms".
    It's an easy mistake to make

One of the, alas, few highlights of the Proms, which is sure to satisfy all you Grieg fans, (:p:) will be Berezovsky playing Grieg's Piano Concerto in a. I have one of his albums, and think he is an exceptional pianist.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent One of my desert island discs for sure is that concerto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sir_inferno)
    classic fm is nice when they do their smooth classics at seven, but then they go all crazy and experimental and it's all weird
    there's two words not very often heard in connection with Classic FM...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_b)
    there's two words not very often heard in connection with Classic FM...

Haha let the snobbery begin........

Fair point though Rich - constant smooth, easy listening (ie dull) music can get a bit nauseating after a while.

ReputationRep:
    Although it is interesting what they describe as 'relaxing' from time to time...

ReputationRep:
    Yes a little snobbery I will admit, but more an observation.
    You wouldn't describe McDonalds as Haute cuisine, yet this doesn't mean you can't enjoy eating it...
    Classic FM has it's place. Despite any musical tastes, it has far too many adverts for me anyway

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here a fan of Glenn Gould?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Seasons End)
    Anyone here a fan of Glenn Gould?
    I've only heard him play Mozart and I didn't like it. I hear is Bach is far better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    I've only heard him play Mozart and I didn't like it. I hear is Bach is far better?
    Oh, his Bach is absolutely FANtastic! I mean, his goldberg variations (both the 1955 and 1981 recordings) are absolutely amazing. The record of his Goldberg variations were actually shot into space in a time capsule.

His Mozart shows how much Glenn really despised Mozart's work, which presents a problem for the listener.

The real true genius of Glenn is the fact that he takes music and reinterprets how it is "supposed" to be played, rather than following all the trends and producing a recording very similar to all those before it, he produces an interpretation of the song which can be idiosyncratic and iconoclastic but also is a very fascinating and challenging view of the music.

For example, when Glenn Gould recorded all five Beethoven Piano Concertos, he wrote for the C major his own cadenza which is more Bach than it is Beethoven, but the effect it has on the piece at large is very interesting.

Glenn is the pianist for people who are interested in unconventional beauty.

For those who just want to listen to some amazing Bach, that's okay too. There isn't a single Gould-Bach recording that I would not recommend. I would start first with a collection of both Goldberg Variations to see his early interpretation of the piece and then his reinterpretation. Another piece I love to hear him play is Liszt's transcription of Beethoven's Pastoral symphony, which is a gorgeous piece in symphony, but Glenn brings something very symphonic to the piano.

If you couldn't tell I like Glenn a bit.

Anyone here ever hear of Russell Sherman?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    :ditto:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.