Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all - just thought I'd give you an update!! We're now learning Mars from Holst's Planets, Wedding Day at Troldhaugen by Grieg, Ralph Federer's "The Scarlet Cape" (I know I said we didn't like Modern music, but this is quite exciting/not-particulalrly modern in style), as well as another piece by Faure for Flute and Piano (she flutes, I sing, we piano!) - Fantaisie Op. 79 - it's surprisingly wonderful - and a Poulenc Flute Sonata, which is also surprisingly pretty! That should be plenty for our first recital! Thankyou again!!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fun .

I went to the chamber music prom on Monday - violin and piano, was good .

ReputationRep:
    Wedding at Troldhaugen is great I played it for my Diploma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    Thank you all - just thought I'd give you an update!! We're now learning Mars from Holst's Planets, Wedding Day at Troldhaugen by Grieg, Ralph Federer's "The Scarlet Cape" (I know I said we didn't like Modern music, but this is quite exciting/not-particulalrly modern in style), as well as another piece by Faure for Flute and Piano (she flutes, I sing, we piano!) - Fantaisie Op. 79 - it's surprisingly wonderful - and a Poulenc Flute Sonata, which is also surprisingly pretty! That should be plenty for our first recital! Thankyou again!!
    What a useful combination for a recital! That sound like a really interesting programme. The Poulenc Flute Sonata is gorgeous (sorry Sexysax :p:).

ReputationRep:
    I love a little classical, count me in on this soc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fletch)
    What a useful combination for a recital! That sound like a really interesting programme. The Poulenc Flute Sonata is gorgeous (sorry Sexysax :p:).
    Thankyou! It will hopefully be amazing, but it may well be postponed for quite a while yet. She's also just bought me Saint-Saens 'Danse Macabre' for 2 Pianos as a belated birthday present, so we're now playing that, even if it's incredibly hard to find 2 pianos that are sufficiently in tune and similar in tone to practice on! :rolleyes: We might substitute it in for the Holst, as a) it's impossible and b) it goes on forever. But we'll see :p:

ReputationRep:
    Danse Macabre for two Pianos... wowee.

ReputationRep:
    RIP Pavarotti.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's a sad day for classical music today

How is everyone, anyway?

And on the topic of dead opera singers, what's the deal with Maria Callas? Technically she's excellent but her voice does nothing for me. I find it plummy, claggy and with an excess vibrato that she apparently has no desire to control.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

haven't read the news today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Yes, it's a sad day for classical music today

How is everyone, anyway?

And on the topic of dead opera singers, what's the deal with Maria Callas? Technically she's excellent but her voice does nothing for me. I find it plummy, claggy and with an excess vibrato that she apparently has no desire to control.
    Like everything else, there are fashions in voices and indeed playing styles. I don't think anyone would now perform early music with wobbly female altos or vibrato violins but at one time that was the norm. Perhaps the current obsession with "authentic" performances will come to be seen as overly pedantic in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I hate vibrato. Of course, that's like saying I hate the Violin, but heavy vibrato is just not cricket IMHO. One of the many reasons that I listen to early music is that the vibrato is so much lighter, on violin and voice.

On another note (excuse the pun) did anybody see the prom of Peer Gynt years ago of the original score? I saw a video of it recently, the hardanger fiddle bit was cool

ReputationRep:
    I hate excess vibrato, though for some reason I dislike it much more in women's voices than men's.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

my vibrato phobia prob stems from doing too much church music where a more 'natural' tone is encouraged... apart from in a few extravegent basses

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, was wondering if some kind people could throw a few recommendations my way.

I'm a big fan of introspective, melancholic music (ie lots of adagio movements, string quartets and cello conertos), specifically Schubert (death and the maiden quartet:eek: ) and Beethoven's Late String Quartets, various cello concertos, and performers like Jacqueline du Pre, Pau Casals and the Quartetto Italiano.

ReputationRep:
    Ases Tod from Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite.
    Dowland's Lachrimae Pavanes.
    Ravel's Pavane Pour Une Enfante Defunte

ReputationRep:
    ooh how about some Gesualdo motets/madrigals?

There was a "Discovering Music" show on him on Radio 3 yesterday you might be able to get it on listen again.

ReputationRep:
    Love Gesualdo, rented a CD of his from the library just last week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    I hate excess vibrato, though for some reason I dislike it much more in women's voices than men's.
    Oh I agree 100%, and I can't stand vibrato in choral music at all, it makes it sound so cheap and unpleasant.that said, I'm a big fan of choir and even single singer's music alone, if they don't wobble all over the place!

ReputationRep:
    ...and there's always the one old lady with a totally uncontrollable vibrato about whom people say, "Oh, she had a lovely voice in her day"! :>.<:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.