Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a great interest in the Baroque period and particularly that of William Boyce in the English Baroque. Boyce tends to be obscured from popular classical because he has been relatively eclipsed by Handel. There are many however, who still appreciate his music as much as I do. Do we have any Boyce listeners?

Did anybody have the pleasure of seeing Michael Ball woo the crowd at the proms?

ReputationRep:
    Can't say I did....

My Mum caught it: the only comment she had on the concert, however was "ooh he's got really fat you know"....

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of Boyce, will endevour to look hum up. Has anyone heard of Stadlmyer? (probably not the right spelling).

ReputationRep:
    I went to a awesome performance of Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini and Mahlers 5th last night. The Rachmaninov was incredible, it was the first time I'd seen that piece performed live, Peter Donohue was astonishing on the Piano.

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I love classical music and my favourite composer is Chopin followed closely by Bach. However, I also enjoy Mozart, Beethoven, Handel, Schumann and Lizst. And for some reason, I have a fondness for French composers, namely Ravel, Faure, Debussy and Satie.

OMG, you watched Peter Donohoe live?!! I have his recordings in one of the compilations. I like his Rach very much.

I have 28 days to prepare a piano concerto from scratch. I can practise for up to two hours a day, but I'm only a piano player and not a pianist. Anybody have any suggestions for a concerto I could learn in that time frame?

ReputationRep:
    One of the hyden ones, or maybe one of the easier mozarts. I dunno, like you I am no Pianist, only a player :p: I have, of course, played a concerto in concert, Vaughn Williams concerto for two pianos, in which I played the second movement (the easy movement), and the second Piano (the easy part)

ReputationRep:
    Shosti 2?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I should add that, due to my nature, I would prefer the concerto to be in a minor key... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I went to an Elgar concert the other night, twas awesome. Colin Carr played the cello concerto ;heart; ;heart; ;heart;

(Original post by ukebert)
    One of the hyden ones, or maybe one of the easier mozarts. I dunno, like you I am no Pianist, only a player :p: I have, of course, played a concerto in concert, Vaughn Williams concerto for two pianos, in which I played the second movement (the easy movement), and the second Piano (the easy part)
    I think I'll attempt Bach's Keyboard Concerto #1 (Now I just need to find the score!)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, which one is no 1? There's a lovely one that goes dah dah dah dah dah dah dah, dah dah dah dah dah dah dah, etc.

ReputationRep:
    dadadadadadadadah dah dum diddle dum...

Hmm, which one is no 1?
    This is the first mov: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-KyL...elated&search=

ReputationRep:
    I don't know it, but it's nice. That's one loooooong Piano :p:

I love Gould's playing.

I love Gould's playing.
    Look at the "fingering" he uses for the bass notes at 2:11 in this video! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lusus Naturae)
    Look at the "fingering" he uses for the bass notes at 2:11 in this video! :p:
    Well, I like hearing him, watching videos is another matter... his technique is just so different from what I've been taught, it's slightly depressing watching him.

ReputationRep:

I love Gould's playing.
    I don't like his Mozart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    I don't like his Mozart.
    No, you may have a point there. his Bach however is excellent.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.