Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by ukebert)
    Well, I like hearing him, watching videos is another matter... his technique is just so different from what I've been taught, it's slightly depressing watching him.
    Sure, the only thing that should matter. The great Richter who used to play in a dark concert hall (with only a lamp for his sheet music!) because he thought it was the music that should be the focus, not the pianist.

ReputationRep:
    Gould of course stopped playing live, because he said that a performer was a mere distraction. Quite right as well.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I would show some love for Mr. Rubinstein, whose performances of Chopin have been keeping me alive through the German revision slog, and András Schiff's Bach... Who I prefer, even, to Gould!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I'm really not that good at playing. I did A Level music and got a shocking mark in my practical! I did grade 3 and then stopped grades although I play pieces around grade 7 now. I managed to mess up the bass-line of Pachelbel's canon when my string quartet was playing in a concert the other day. I lost concentration (because it's so boring!) and my bow slipped off my strings. I turned to the audience, said "sorry!" and carried on! It was sooooooo embarrassing!
    haha thats funny! its ok though i play piano and ive had my share of embarrasing moments. before a concert, i had stuck a sticky note to the top of the page of my music as a bookmark so i could find my piece easily through the book. anyways, i got on stage and placed my book on the piano and began to play. everything was going fine until i got to the sticky note that i forgot to remove! it covered half the notes and i was really little at the time and i was too short to remove the sticky note without getting up and catching attention so i had to stop, get up, remove the sticky, set it down, sit down, adjust the piano bench and resume. MAN was that embarrasing! haha its been 10 years since that concert and i still remember it perfectly! Thank God my concerts nowadays are not like they used to be!!!!!!

oh and by the way i love Pachabels canon!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here read Oliver Sacks' book Musicophilia? I finished it yesterday and thought it was fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    As for Gould, I like his interpretations of Bach, but for Beethoven, i prefer Kempf.

ReputationRep:
    So do any of you guys compose/arrange music?

Also, I have a practical question - what's the highest regular note a trombone could be expected to play?

ReputationRep:
    I compose and arrange, in fact my compositions have been heralded as "dull" and my arrangements praised for being "impossible on the double bass"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    So do any of you guys compose/arrange music?

Also, I have a practical question - what's the highest regular note a trombone could be expected to play?
    I tend to think of the trombone as a tenor singer: any one half decent should be able to get an a (above middle c) a good one will get c or higher.

ReputationRep:
    ooooomg I recently entered a Times composition contest and just got this e-mail:

"Hello Promcast composers,

I hope you’re all well.

I write to seek permission from each of you to broadcast up to 40 seconds of your Promcast composition on the Times website - within the Times Proms podcasts - and for your full audio recording – and accompanying documents – to be broadcast/hosted on the Promcast website - www.promcast.co.uk (currently in design stage). Please advise whether you would wish, in addition, for your full work to be made available on the Times website.

I plan for your Promcast music and materials to be available on the Promcast website until July 2009.

Many thanks all. The pieces are all sounding great. Will be in touch over the next few days to advise where to access things.

Nicola"

How exciting

ReputationRep:
    ooooomg I recently entered a Times composition contest and just got this e-mail:

I hope you’re all well.

I write to seek permission from each of you to broadcast up to 40 seconds of your Promcast composition on the Times website - within the Times Proms podcasts - and for your full audio recording – and accompanying documents – to be broadcast/hosted on the Promcast website - www.promcast.co.uk (currently in design stage). Please advise whether you would wish, in addition, for your full work to be made available on the Times website.

I plan for your Promcast music and materials to be available on the Promcast website until July 2009.

Many thanks all. The pieces are all sounding great. Will be in touch over the next few days to advise where to access things.

Nicola"

How exciting
    congratulations - that is fantastic.

On another note, how do we join the society?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have either fanfare for the common man, or the light cavalry overture, that they'd like to e-mail me please? I want to learn new stuff on the trumpet!

Would be very grateful if you could.......

ReputationRep:
    I think I may have the accomp music for the former which has the trumpet part written over it (have to check it's at the correct pitch though).

ReputationRep:
    Oh! Sorry I meant to say I was just asking for the tracks. I can write the trumpet parts myself Thanks!

ReputationRep:

I hope you’re all well.

Nicola"

How exciting
    Wow, congratulations!!! Is your music up there yet? I'll have to have a listen if it is

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend any Modern Piano stuff. I like Philip Glass but I dont know much about anyone else. Anyone like Libera?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure some people can Not me, because I can't play the piano But oh how I wish I could....

On a general note, I've heard that the transition from classical piano to jazz piano is massive - does anyone here feel competent at both styles? What are the differences? I'm just curious!

And if you'll forgive a little self-indulgence... http://www.promcast.co.uk/about

If you go to 'composers' (on the right) you'll find me (michael roberts)! SO exciting! Although I wish I'd put more thought into my biography. I wrote it assuming it'd never get put on the website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentin007)
    Can anyone recommend any Modern Piano stuff. I like Philip Glass but I dont know much about anyone else. Anyone like Libera?
    John Cage's Prepared Piano- its insane.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Bww...eature=related

and there are the Ligeti Etudes- but they are damn difficult to play.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8gBMy01_GA

ReputationRep:
    On a general note, I've heard that the transition from classical piano to jazz piano is massive - does anyone here feel competent at both styles? What are the differences? I'm just curious!
    I've done a tiny tiny bit of jazz piano, and the styles are just completely different. With classical you play precisely, if passionately and according to the music. With jazz you don't :p: I can't do it. I wish I could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I've done a tiny tiny bit of jazz piano, and the styles are just completely different. With classical you play precisely, if passionately and according to the music. With jazz you don't :p: I can't do it. I wish I could.
    Ditto.
    But now that I am getting more involved with Cello, my Piano abilities have slid a bit.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.