Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    And check out Carmina Burana. The first bit is very famous but the rest of it is great too.

ReputationRep:
    There is quite a bit of film music that include the type of music you're looking for.
    Just have a listen to various soundtracks from films and you'll find some suprisingly brilliant music

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about learning to play violin this summer, but i'm not sure what kind of violin would be best to purchase. I've seen a complete stentor II student violin for approx 50 pounds (pound sign doesn't work). Is that worth it? Could you recommend maybe other ideal beginnner violins. Also i'm self teaching- could you suggest any good starting points, resources e.t.c. Help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    You will definitely need some lessons for violin, even if you are self-teaching the rest of the time. You can really get into some awful habits if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a string player but I've been told that even on a cheap violin, it's more imortant to spend money on good strings

ReputationRep:
    Everybody who has contributed has been incredibly helpful

ReputationRep:
    I have a question for the classical music society!

So, recently I've noticed that I only seem to listen to the first movement of concertos. I love the first movement of the Sibelius Violin Concerto/Elgar Cello Concerto/Rachmaninoff piano concerto no. 2, but when it comes to the other movements I just turn off (apart from Rodrigo's guitar concerto, I don't even like the first movement). Is this just a commitment issue of mine? Can someone direct me to some concertos with 2nd or 3rd movements that I'll enjoy?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plath89)
    Can someone direct me to some concertos with 2nd or 3rd movements that I'll enjoy?
    Well I would certainly have recommended Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto, so I'm a bit lost really! Maybe you could try Shostakovich's 2nd piano concerto. Do you have the same 'problem' with symphonies?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I haven't given the Rachmaninoff enough of a chance, I'll give it another listen on your recommendation. And the Shostakovitch, thank you I'll get back to you when I've had some music time.
    To be honest I don't listen to symphonies that much, got a bit of a concerto thing going on at the moment, but I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to any orchestral music (classical guitarist, so not involved in orchestras at all) if you want to recommend any, first movement and beyond, that would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I haven't given the Rachmaninoff enough of a chance, I'll give it another listen on your recommendation. And the Shostakovitch, thank you I'll get back to you when I've had some music time.
    To be honest I don't listen to symphonies that much, got a bit of a concerto thing going on at the moment, but I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to any orchestral music (classical guitarist, so not involved in orchestras at all) if you want to recommend any, first movement and beyond, that would be appreciated!
    For symphonies, Shostakovitch 5 is a must, as well as Symphony no.3 by Saint Saens.

For concertos, the Grieg Piano Concerto is quite famous, as well as Mozart's Concerto in C Minor for piano- one of his few Concertos in a minor key.

ReputationRep:
    Give the Saint-Saens Piano Concerto No.2 in Gm a go.

ReputationRep:
    Can't agree with the two Saint-Saens recommendations, sorry.

Grieg, yes. Try Rachmaninov's third; it's a bit long but it's wonderful. You might want to give the Liszt piano concertos a go; they're not strictly separated all the time, they're a lot more like single-movement things.

The Ravel piano concerto is lots of fun! Also try the Gershwin concerto for something a bit different. If you're after something a bit more 'serious' you might try Brahms' 1st piano concerto - you can listen to the second, but I hope you have an hour to spare! Wonderful music nonetheless.

EDIT: Also, more Rachmaninov: try the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. It's all one movement, but it could be separated into a typical 3-movement concerto form.

Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely try the Shostakovich 2nd, the 2nd movement is absolutely magical - when the piano makes it's entry I always think of the sun coming out

ReputationRep:
    For something wild, how about "New Era Dance" by Aaron Jay Kernis Not a symphony, but wild

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving tap dance and i think i've just found jazz music.

Shiny Stockings - Count Basie

... What a Groove.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    Definitely try the Shostakovich 2nd, the 2nd movement is absolutely magical - when the piano makes it's entry I always think of the sun coming out
    I was just listening to that as I read your post and I must say I agree! It's lovely.

...Rachmaninoff piano concerto no. 2...
    The third movement is my favourite one of that piece, especially the part when...hmm...it's hard to put into words . After the first quieter bit when it all comes rushing up and then WOW. Anyone know what I'm on about ?

EDIT: Here:

From about 4:40 is where I mean. (Not my favourite recording, but this is the first one I found on Youtube where the bit I mean is not between sections.)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a classical mandolinist, so i favour alot of un discovered mandolin music, i really enjoy classical but some more contempoary mandolin is very good.
    The mandolin being played as a solo, can be made to sound very rich, her's an example by alison stephens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rhhNsnL0ps

amazing compsition, and i can promise you its a bit difficult to play

ReputationRep:
    Who is the better violinist: samvel yervinyan or david garrett?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teletext45)
    I'm a classical mandolinist, so i favour alot of un discovered mandolin music, i really enjoy classical but some more contempoary mandolin is very good.
    The mandolin being played as a solo, can be made to sound very rich, her's an example by alison stephens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rhhNsnL0ps

amazing compsition, and i can promise you its a bit difficult to play
    I love mandolin! I discovered it in IB Music. More power to you for learning the instrument!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What does everyone else here think of Saint-Saëns's Danse Macabre?
    My music teachers played it to me 5 years ago, and I can still say it's one of my favourites.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.