Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    hey OAB, as you well know, I'm in the Music soc as well... but can I join this too?

I play violin and *sing* tenor... recent gigs i've been involved in this year include Brahms requiem, Mozart requiem, Beethoven 9th, Mussorgky Night on Bare Mountain, Dvorak Serenade for Strings, Elgar Serenade for Strings, Britten Simple Symphony, Copland Appalachian Spring, Bach Brandenburg 3, Bruckner 7, Max Bruch Violin Concerto, and many more. Last weekend we did Elgar's Dream of Gerontius, which was absolutely amazing to play!

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's some pretty good stuff you've played lately!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Wow that's some pretty good stuff you've played lately!
    yeah, it's amazing how much you get through being in 3 ensembles, which perform only once a term!

I'm sure you do just as much, even more.... being a trumpeter allows you to play big band/jazz as well as classical, which is amazing for getting external gigs all the time! Have you thought about doing a bit of freelancing once you're at uni?

and are you going to audition for ULU orchestra...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not very good

ReputationRep:
    I'm not very good
    rubbish, i bet you are

did you not do various rearrangements as well? I seem to recall you sending me some of your work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    rubbish, i bet you are

did you not do various rearrangements as well? I seem to recall you sending me some of your work...
    Arrangements and compositions But yes I am still pretty rubbish on the trumpet for someone who's been playing for 11-12 years.

ReputationRep:
    New location!
    Wow, only just noticed! Yay! :party:

*Updates sig*

ReputationRep:
    I should post more here......I play the violin, recorder, bit of guitar, bass, piano, have sung in school musicals, am in local youth orchestra, which rocks. We've just played our summer concert, featuring Wagner's Meistersingers overture, Lizst's piano concerto, and Shostakovich's 5th Symphony, and we're waiting just now to hear what we'll play on tour...can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    Oop I'd better update the list!

ReputationRep:
    Count me in - I play Clarinet and Saxophone and sing, and I'm trying to borrow my Wind Band's bass clarinet to try as well . I also play in a Big Band, Wind Band, 2 orchestras and sing in a choir :cool:. I also love listening to classical music in my free time.

-Saruman

ReputationRep:
    Iron Maiden fans are so cultured

ReputationRep:
    Let's see now.... does anyone have any favourite ensembles? I like the London Mozart Players I saw them performing Nelson's Mass (by Haydn) the other week down here

ReputationRep:
    Let's see now.... does anyone have any favourite ensembles? I like the London Mozart Players I saw them performing Nelson's Mass (by Haydn) the other week down here
    ensembles? you mean like groups?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone seen the Mozart Festival Orchestra?

I saw them earlier this year- fantastic

They dress up in costume as well!

ReputationRep:
    Iron Maiden fans are so cultured
    Yeah. Like me.
    Hehe.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I should join this. My main interest is in Adorno and the effects of Critical Theory (and post-Kantian aesthetics) on art music. I am currently working on a dissertation on the use of paratactical and hypotactical critique in adorno's aesthetic theory and his book on berg. In terms of music my interest lies in the early twentieth century - next year I'll be doing Robin Holloway's course on the effect of Wagner on the music up to the end of Strauss and a course on diaghilev ballets. Should be good fun.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to join this soc (despite the glaring 'Goth' icon on the toolbar- the liking for everything gothic- music, literature, architecture)- nevertheless, my personal favourites are Schubert, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mozart, Handel, Strauss & Addinsell (esp. Warschauer Konzert). I can be found among the crowd during the concerts of Oxford Chamber Orchestra, Oxford City Orchestra, Schola Cantorum or listening to recitals at Magdalen chapel.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of goths like their classical.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to join this society. I play piano and violin and love classical music. In fact, I went on tour with my orchestra this summer, which I am privileged to have led this past year. It was the best ever. Superb. We were playing awesome music.

So hope to talk to you guys soon!

ReputationRep:
    Welcome ... What should I call you? Both Jesus and Freak sound a bit rude on their own :p: How about JF?

Piano and violin? I'd love to play those instruments... I wrote loads of music for violins.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.