Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    I love it! We played it at the youth orchestra I was in and it was fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    What does everyone else here think of Saint-Saëns's Danse Macabre?
    My music teachers played it to me 5 years ago, and I can still say it's one of my favourites.
    I played it and the Bacchanale from Samson and Dalila (?) in orchestra as well and I must say I very much enjoyed both of them. This may be coloured by my fondness for Jonathan Creek of course. There's a great quote about Saint-Saens in September's Gramohpone which I can't say I completely agree with.

'Saint-Saens has, I suppose, written as much music as any composer ever did; he has certainly written more rubbish than any one I can think of. It is the worst, most rubbishy kind of rubbish.'
    JF Runciman, saturday Review, London February 19, 1898

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esoterik)
    'Saint-Saens has, I suppose, written as much music as any composer ever did; he has certainly written more rubbish than any one I can think of. It is the worst, most rubbishy kind of rubbish.'
    Snob!:haughty:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Esoterik)
    I played it and the Bacchanale from Samson and Dalila (?) in orchestra as well and I must say I very much enjoyed both of them. This may be coloured by my fondness for Jonathan Creek of course. There's a great quote about Saint-Saens in September's Gramohpone which I can't say I completely agree with.

I picked up my 'guide to music' I had when I was 5 today since the library is being cleared out, and here I read that The Carnival of The Animals was written as a complete joke for one of his friends! Nowhere else had I read this...

Despite adoring Alan Davies, I've never watched Jonathan Creek, but I did know that Danse Macabre was indeed the theme music to it- I must watch it more often.

And in regards to the quote, I couldn't agree less. Danse Macabre premiered VERY badly.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Fletch)
    Snob!:haughty:
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Hello to the new people :wave: and sorry for the delay in processing your join requests

I think we should ask a mod to stickify this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm new here.

I'd like to share something with you! I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this; but I personally think it's one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...I'm not a great fan of choral music. I prefer solo piano pieces and concertos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srxjer)
    Hey guys, I'm new here.

I'd like to share something with you! I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this; but I personally think it's one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

Ahhh that is really very pretty indeed.

I love choral music. Particularly after watching the Gareth Malone stuff on BBC.

I would love to be in a choir, but don't read music .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshMcD)
    Ahhh that is really very pretty indeed.

I love choral music. Particularly after watching the Gareth Malone stuff on BBC.

Another really great early choral piece is this:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this thread's been stickified and so should appear at the top of the forum from now on

ReputationRep:
    Have to agree about the above Saint-Saens quote... :P Get yerselves into some Scriabin!

Also, Schoenberg's Gurrelieder. Seriously, don't worry about the name. Just listen to it, and be transported.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshMcD)

Getting into a choir is a brilliant way to learn to read music. I agree with you about the Gareth Malone series especially the one where he was specifically targetting boys. We have to get over the stigma that is attached to bys who sing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fletch)
    Getting into a choir is a brilliant way to learn to read music. I agree with you about the Gareth Malone series especially the one where he was specifically targetting boys. We have to get over the stigma that is attached to bys who sing.
    Sorry, freudian slip:blushing: I meant boys!

ReputationRep:
    I've never been much into choral kinda stuff. I tried for the school choir back in year 7 but got to shy. I just stick to my instruments

Wonder if anyone around here is a Double Bassist?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'm a pianist (and typing that is less likely to be misunderstood than saying it!). I never really liked choral stuff either. Being a pianist, I like piano solos/concertos/quintets/etc.!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh nice. I think you should play Rach 3 :P:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not that good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schopenhauer)
    I've never been much into choral kinda stuff. I tried for the school choir back in year 7 but got to shy. I just stick to my instruments

Wonder if anyone around here is a Double Bassist?
    Yep

Quality choice in instrument :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayne)
    Yep

Quality choice in instrument :five:

You win for this reason:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.