Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    Can I join please My favourite composers are Bach, Haydn, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven (not very original!), Vaughan Williams, Rachmaninov, John Tavener, Stanford and Howells, but I listen to everything and anything.

ReputationRep:
    hi

I'm a fan of the classical guitar masters such as Fernando Sor and M. Giuliani, mainly because I am a guitar student I suppose, but I also like Bach and Chopin. Increasingly I have been listening to classical music as late.

ReputationRep:
    I love Dvorak New World Symphony

The first few seconds are incredibly powerful.

ReputationRep:
    Just started learning Chopin's nocturne in E flat :love: Ah how i missed playing his pieces :cute:

:love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)
    Just started learning Chopin's nocturne in E flat :love: Ah how i missed playing his pieces :cute:

:love:
    absolutely love that piece. The main theme just makes you think, 'hey- actually everything is ok'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sad Clown)
    absolutely love that piece. The main theme just makes you think, 'hey- actually everything is ok'.
    :five: True, i agree

It looks so difficult that its easy to put off and play an easier piece. But i think its worth the investment :p: I can't wait till i can play it fluently :love:

Just out of curiosity, are you a pianist as well?

ReputationRep:
    :five: True, i agree

It looks so difficult that its easy to put off and play an easier piece. But i think its worth the investment :p: I can't wait till i can play it fluently :love:

Just out of curiosity, are you a pianist as well?
    no, I am a classical guitarist. One day maybe I will learn the piano.

ReputationRep:
    :hi: I see the society isn't quite yet dead. :p: I really like Chopin's Nocturne. :love:

I also really like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keoje)
    :hi: I see the society isn't quite yet dead. :p: I really like Chopin's Nocturne. :love:

I also really like this
    :coma: Excellent choice! Its on my playlist along with the c# minor prelude :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Ooh! Ooh!
    They're repeating the Leeds Piano Competition on the BBC at the moment! It's only one a week, and they're at about midnight, but they're on iplayer The Italian plays Chopin's piano concerto no.1 very well.

ReputationRep:
    Last night I was introduced to Grieg's Violin Sonata No. 1, and I think it's brilliant! His other two are very good too.
    Just thought I'd share that

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of Grieg, I think you dirty Chopin listeners may appreciate this if you haven't heard it before;

ReputationRep:
    Nah.

Chopin Etude Op10-4 :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    :coma: Excellent choice! Its on my playlist along with the c# minor prelude :cute:
    Oooh yes, I'm learning that prelude atm and those bass notes sound so rich on a grand :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    Speaking of Grieg, I think you dirty Chopin listeners may appreciate this if you haven't heard it before;
    yes it is nice. It does'nt quite have the same 'magic' as the nocturnes though. That might just be due to the amazingness of Ashkenazy's playing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sad Clown)
    yes it is nice. It does'nt quite have the same 'magic' as the nocturnes though. That might just be due to the amazingness of Ashkenazy's playing.
    I agree, his legato lines and sense of interpretation tower above most other concert pianists.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably get more replies making a thread about it or posting elsewhere but here goes anyway:beard:

Are there many opportunities to learn how to play the piano at university? Obviously depends on the University itself but in general. Do most have practice rooms with pianos in or something? O.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tull)
    Oooh yes, I'm learning that prelude atm and those bass notes sound so rich on a grand :sogood:
    Ah Chopin :mmm: Update me as the piano playing progress goes, please :teeth: What standard are you roughly? how long have you been playing the piece for? Is it as challenging as it looks? :awesome:

Grand piano :sogood: I just can't wait till uni time when i can spare a few hours to play on the grand pianos that they have :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keoje)
    I'd probably get more replies making a thread about it or posting elsewhere but here goes anyway:beard:

Are there many opportunities to learn how to play the piano at university? Obviously depends on the University itself but in general. Do most have practice rooms with pianos in or something? O.o
    They should.. Which unis in particular? Most well-regarded unis do provide students with practise rooms (mainly designed for orchestra/music societies practices) so i'm sure you'll find something :yes:

I'm not sure.. I'd check with unis individually. Perhaps older students could provide lessons in exchange of.. sexytime? :awesome: :laugh:
    + depends whether its a campus/city based uni. I'm sure you could find piano lessons outside unis in the latter choice.

ReputationRep:
    They should.. Which unis in particular? Most well-regarded unis do provide students with practise rooms (mainly designed for orchestra/music societies practices) so i'm sure you'll find something

I'm not sure.. I'd check with unis individually. Perhaps older students could provide lessons in exchange of.. sexytime?
    + depends whether its a campus/city based uni. I'm sure you could find piano lessons outside unis in the latter choice.
    Warwick in particular. I did visit it and go to the music area but they were in use. So all I really saw was the steps to the rooms...and some dude waiting to use one of the practice rooms. :p:

That sounds like a sweet deal. :sexface: Hopefully the piano lesson prices in Coventry aren't as expensive as the taxis... :stomp:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.