Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    Lets get some interesting avant garde stuff

Surprisingly works quite well imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    Eurgh, Bruckner? I thought you'd have better taste than that. I once had to sit through his ninth. The programme notes said he died before he could write the last movement, and after the hour the first three movements took I was relieved that the grim reaper decided to stop him!

That said, this is coming from someone who prefers Sibelius 4 to 2, so there's CLEARLY already something wrong with you :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    Eurgh, Bruckner?
    Seconded. But I'd say the same about Rachmaninoff. And Tchaikovsky. Then again, I like Berlioz so I hardly have any claim to good taste

To me Bruckner's music too often sounds like it falls short of profundity and just ends up being boring.

(Original post by Haeron)
    Any 'period' performance is actually a reflection of our ideas of the past. All this stuff is not reconstruction but a construction of a certain opinion of the past. It's interesting, but claims to 'truth' are a problem with the older vestiges of the period movement, cliches which seem to find a home here. Composer intentionality is an impossible dream!
    Firstly: come on, that's just sweeping the issue under the carpet. I'm not by any means a HIP buff, I judge recordings on a work by work basis, but clearly playing on an instrument of the time is going to sound closer to the work conceived by the composer than a version on a modern instrument and there is a good case to be made that sometimes modern performances can detract from the original composition. Sometimes I think it actually makes things sound a lot worse (eg I strongly dislike Baroque flutes), sometimes it doesn't really add or take away anything and sometimes it works very well (Schumann symphonies come to mind here).

Secondly, I was referring as much to the issue of the ubiquity of Steinways in the concert hall and on recordings (presuming this is as big an issue as the article makes out; I wouldn't know since I don't listen to a whole lot of piano music).

ReputationRep:
    I went to a great concert last night I was drawn by the Sibelius Violin Concerto and the Firebird, and saw that there was also the Scriabin Piano Concerto, and figured I could bear to sit through it because the other two would be worth it. But it's actually an awesome piece! I always thought Scriabin was just a serialist like the Second Viennese School but actually it's beautiful Romantic music! I strongly recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also glad I found this thread ^^.

My contributions .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nephilim)
    Never heard of this guy before but I don't think I was missing anything - sounds like third-rate Prokofiev-lite, but the dry performance probably has something to do with this. I quite like Prokofiev though, especially for piano

ReputationRep:
    Wow, a whole week without a post, that's not good .

Let's all post our favourite vocal piece.

Mine .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nephilim)
    Wow, a whole week without a post, that's not good .

Let's all post our favourite vocal piece.

Mine .
    If you mean solo vocal then I'll go with

ReputationRep:

Probably one of Wagner's worst compositions yet I'm still drawn quite closely to this.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpgyTl8yqbw

technically too mordern to be classical but good nonethelss

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, I wasn't aware this thread existed! Now I am very happy! Well, my favourite composer is undoubtedly Scriabin; a few of my favourite preludes:

ReputationRep:
    Also, I went to the CBSO last week and listened to Rachmaninov's Isle of the Dead. It's absolutely immense. Here's the first part.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno whether to be happy that people are posting Scriabin or pissed that Bruckner's getting bashed .

What do you pricks think of Szymanowski, anyways?
    (One piano suite)

(First violin concerto)

(Something for violin+piano OH BOY)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    I dunno whether to be happy that people are posting Scriabin or pissed that Bruckner's getting bashed .

What do you gentlemen think of Szymanowski, anyways?
    I know and like Metopes, and know and am ambivalent about the third symphony and the two violin concertos.

That sonata was decent but I'm guessing it was an early work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    I know and like Metopes, and know and am ambivalent about the third symphony and the two violin concertos.

That sonata was decent but I'm guessing it was an early work.
    The Nocturne/Tarantella was composed in the same year as Metopes.
    You aren't keen on his third? I liked it!
    Are you familiar with Masques, or his quartets?

ReputationRep:

How can you guys not like Bruckner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    The Nocturne/Tarantella was composed in the same year as Metopes.
    I'll give it a listen.

You aren't keen on his third? I liked it!
    Well, I said 'ambivalent' because I've only heard it on Youtube which is hardly the best way to judge, but from what I could tell I wasn't going to particularly like it anyway. Someday I'm sure I'll get some CDs of his stuff but my Amazon basket is way too full at the moment (I do have a recording of Metopes though).

Are you familiar with Masques, or his quartets?
    I think Masques is on the CD I have with Metopes but I haven't listened to it yet. I don't know the quartets.

How can you guys not like Bruckner
    To be fair there are lots of people I'd rather listen to Bruckner than, but I've never once thought 'what I really want to listen to now is some Bruckner'. Give me Wagner and Mahler over him any day for Romanticism-on-steroids. (Not that I think he sounds much like them, but I prefer their brands.)

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Miserere Mei, Deius - Allegri
    :adore:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.