Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just acquired a copy of Bizet's 'Les pêcheurs de perles', or 'The Pearl Fisher's. The recording features Björling and Merrill. Needless to say, I am very pleased.

:smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Miserere Mei, Deius - Allegri
    :adore:
    Try Spem in Alium by Thomas Tallis. (I agree, by the way.)

Beethoven's 7th Symphony, Mvt 2 from my YouTube channel. Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vitamortis)
    Beethoven's 7th Symphony, Mvt 2 from my YouTube channel. Enjoy!

:daydreaming:

God I love Beethoven

(Original post by scherzi)

:daydreaming:

God I love Beethoven
    There is none like him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsb123)
    try spem in alium by thomas tallis. (i agree, by the way.)
    mind = blown
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Hai peeps

I'm new to the Society

I like all types of classical music: Scarlatti, Handel, Bach, Vivaldi, Corelli, Pergolesi, Mozart, Haydn, Boccherini, Weber, Donizetti, Brahms, Chopin, Elgar, Holst, Bartok, Prokofiev, Debussy, etc. (I've probably forgotten quite a few )

One composers I HATE: Mahler! D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    I like all types of classical music: Scarlatti, Handel, Bach, Vivaldi, Corelli, Pergolesi, Mozart, Haydn, Boccherini, Weber, Donizetti, Brahms, Chopin, Elgar, Holst, Bartok, Prokofiev, Debussy, etc. (I've probably forgotten quite a few )
    I hope you've forgotten Beethoven

Nice to see some appreciation for Scarlatti, Corelli and Weber though.

What have you heard?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    I hope you've forgotten Beethoven

Nice to see some appreciation for Scarlatti, Corelli and Weber though.

What have you heard?
    Yes I did forget him :rolleyes:

I can't name any specific ones (I always forget what pieces are called! ) but I remember not liking it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I can't name any specific ones (I always forget what pieces are called! ) but I remember not liking it :rolleyes:
    If you've only been put off by hearing some of his later works, try the comparatively tuneful symphony #1 (with lengthy introduction modelled on Beethoven's 9th):

and if you like vocal music, some of the early songs

ReputationRep:
    Hai peeps

I'm new to the Society

You'll probably like Mahler more as you get older. If you go to a Mahler concert you'd probably be able to count the number of young people there with your hand (though that might be the case for classical music in general )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)
    You'll probably like Mahler more as you get older. If you go to a Mahler concert you'd probably be able to count the number of young people there with your hand (though that might be the case for classical music in general )
    I can't believe he doesn't even like Mahler's Piano Quartet in A Minor .

I don't really like much of Beethoven. But I do really like these two rondos.

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    If you've only been put off by hearing some of his later works, try the comparatively tuneful symphony #1 (with lengthy introduction modelled on Beethoven's 9th)

and if you like vocal music, some of the early songs

(Original post by Nephilim)
    I can't believe he doesn't even like Mahler's Piano Quartet in A Minor
    Ok I'll try these

I don't really like much of Beethoven. But I do really like these two rondos.
    Why do you feel Beethoven doesn't resonate with you?

Felix Mendelssohn's second movement of his violin concerto in e minor induces the same feelings and sensations as bathing in milk and honey:

ReputationRep:
    Why do you feel Beethoven doesn't resonate with you?
    I just feel that most of his music is boring.

Felix Mendelssohn's second movement of his violin concerto in e minor induces the same feelings and sensations as bathing in milk and honey:

I much prefer the 1st movement of that concerto. This is my other favourite Mendelssohn piece.

I just feel that most of his music is boring. I much prefer the 1st movement of that concerto. This is my other favourite Mendelssohn piece.

Whoops, made a mistake; that is the first movement of his violin concerto. And yeah, that piece is great. But in my personal opinion, there is none who compares to the sheer brilliance and power of Beethoven in expressing the human condition.

If you have other pieces to share, keep 'em coming!

ReputationRep:
    I just feel that most of his music is boring.
    :eek: Beethoven is 'boring'? I've heard Bach and Mozart (wrongly) described as boring before, but Beethoven? What pieces do you have in mind?

ReputationRep:
    Music at 3:20 please...what's it called? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlH-OZ5R9xM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)
    Music at 3:20 please...what's it called? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlH-OZ5R9xM
    The Air from Bach's Orchestral Suite #3, more commonly known as 'Air on a G String'.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.