Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    The Air from Bach's Orchestral Suite #3, more commonly known as 'Air on a G String'.
    Thank you very much ;-) Much appreciated mate.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Beethoven is 'boring'? I've heard Bach and Mozart (wrongly) described as boring before, but Beethoven? What pieces do you have in mind?
    Despite him being my favourite composer, I would argue that parts of Beethoven can be a little dull. The second movement of the 7th symphony (talked about above) is a little tedious by the end, and some of the string parts in the 6th aren't that great. Some of the overtures are a little...slow? (The Consecration of the House especially. A very good technical demonstration, but not really in the same class as much of the rest.)

The rest of Beethoven's works are fantastic, though. (Especially the Missa Solemnis () and the late quartets)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsb123)
    Despite him being my favourite composer, I would argue that parts of Beethoven can be a little dull. The second movement of the 7th symphony (talked about above) is a little tedious by the end, and some of the string parts in the 6th aren't that great. Some of the overtures are a little...slow? (The Consecration of the House especially. A very good technical demonstration, but not really in the same class as much of the rest.)
    Get ye gone

I have to say, I don't find the second of the 7th boring at all after many, many listens, and the Consecration of the House overture is one of the few by anyone other than Wagner which I listen to with any regularity. I don't think 'slow' is so much a criticism as a description (and it may have more to do with the conductors you've been listening to than with Beethoven).

Now, one time Beethoven did write crap was Wellington's Victory. But we don't talk about that :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Get ye gone

I have to say, I don't find the second of the 7th boring at all after many, many listens, and the Consecration of the House overture is one of the few by anyone other than Wagner which I listen to with any regularity. I don't think 'slow' is so much a criticism as a description (and it may have more to do with the conductors you've been listening to than with Beethoven).

Now, one time Beethoven did write crap was Wellington's Victory. But we don't talk about that :cool:
    I forgot about that. Now I've remembered. Now I want to forget again...

I meant slow as in 'taking a long time to get going', which may not be a bad thing, but isn't to my tastes. Perhaps my view of the 'Consecration' has been soured somewhat by playing it. Which is rather tedious, although I enjoyed seeing how he constructed it, which is quite instructive for composition.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Anyone know a really Good pieces? Ive recently got into Classical music, and lovee it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolkat)
    Hey, Anyone know a really Good pieces?
    Yeah, I know a few...

??

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Beethoven is 'boring'? I've heard Bach and Mozart (wrongly) described as boring before, but Beethoven? What pieces do you have in mind?
    How could Bach and Mozart (but especially Bach) be described as boring? Bach is the best . I've heard plenty of Beethoven songs. All his symphonies I find boring. I only like his rondos (and of course Moonlight Sonata).

One of Bach's finest.

Beethoven's Pathetique 3rd played by Glenn Gould is good aswell (another Beethoven song I like ^_^).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolkat)
    Hey, Anyone know a really Good pieces? Ive recently got into Classical music, and lovee it!
    Spoiler:
    Show

I hope someone appreciates that I took all that time to embed .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nephilim)
    All his symphonies I find boring. I only like his rondos.
    :lolwut:

Whatever floats your boat I guess. May I ask if there is anything specific you dislike about the symphonies?

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

Whatever floats your boat I guess. May I ask if there is anything specific you dislike about the symphonies?
    Well, tbh, I'm not a fan of any symphony by any composer. I find symphonies themselves to be rather plain and flat and a bit confused. I guess I need there to be a dominant/strong-solo sound in a piece of music which is why I prefer Concertos and Partitias.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Well, tbh, I'm not a fan of any symphony by any composer. I find symphonies themselves to be rather plain and flat and a bit confused. I guess I need there to be a dominant/strong-solo sound in a piece of music which is why I prefer Concertos and Partitias.
    Well, it's bit unfair of you to describe Beethoven himself as 'boring', isn't it, since he wrote possibly the most important body of solo piano work in history as well as five piano concertos and a violin concerto. You know that a partita is just a suite of dance movements, so there isn't really any reason to prefer that format to any other composition made up of connected movements such as a sonata?

I can assure you, by the way, that symphonies are none of the things you've written above (unless they are by Bruckner )

ReputationRep:
    How could Bach and Mozart (but especially Bach) be described as boring? Bach is the best . I've heard plenty of Beethoven songs. All his symphonies I find boring. I only like his rondos (and of course Moonlight Sonata).

One of Bach's finest.

Beethoven's Pathetique 3rd played by Glenn Gould is good aswell (another Beethoven song I like ^_^).
    Because Beethoven appeals more to visceral senses than Bach and Mozart - his expression of the human condition lets the listener become immersed in the great sense of struggles and difficulties that pervaded his life, whilst ultimately emerging heroically. Bach and Mozart's music is more 'transcendental' which might be uninteresting to the average listener, whereas Beethoven has that human quality which is so engrossing. And he retains supreme form and intelligence in his music making it just as interesting.

Have you listened to all his symphonies and piano sonatas? If you like Pathetique and Moonlight you'll probably like Appassionata too.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I hope someone appreciates that I took all that time to embed .
    Awesome

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's bit unfair of you to describe Beethoven himself as 'boring', isn't it, since he wrote possibly the most important body of solo piano work in history as well as five piano concertos and a violin concerto. You know that a partita is just a suite of dance movements, so there isn't really any reason to prefer that format to any other composition made up of connected movements such as a sonata?

I can assure you, by the way, that symphonies are none of the things you've written above (unless they are by Bruckner )
    I thought a Partita was just a piece of music for a solo instrument, but it turns out it's just another name for "suite". Darn you incorrect memory!

The most important body of solo piano? Beethoven?! That's a funny way to spell Chopin .

(Original post by scherzi)
    Because Beethoven appeals more to visceral senses than Bach and Mozart - his expression of the human condition lets the listener become immersed in the great sense of struggles and difficulties that pervaded his life, whilst ultimately emerging heroically. Bach and Mozart's music is more 'transcendental' which might be uninteresting to the average listener, whereas Beethoven has that human quality which is so engrossing. And he retains supreme form and intelligence in his music making it just as interesting.

Have you listened to all his symphonies and piano sonatas? If you like Pathetique and Moonlight you'll probably like Appassionata too.
    I know that a lot of people feel a connection to Beethoven's music. And I'm sure to them his music is very moving and wonderful. It's just that I do not feel that when I listen to him. I feel that way when I listen to Bach. The thing about art is that it's subjective. You may feel a connection to one thing, and not feel anything at all toward something else. Yeah I've listened to Appassionata and it's nice, but again I don't feel any connection to it sorry.

I was never trying to diss Beethoven btw. .

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, not posted on here in a while...

Just been listening to (well watching really) the Karl Bohm dvd version of Electra (Strauss). Whoever staged that wasn't right in the head.

Leonie Rysanek is AMAZING in it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jtking3000)
    x
    I don't know if you've heard this all ready, but it's an incredible recording of Wotan's Farewell (I remember you used to have the Boulez one in your sig):

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you've heard this all ready, but it's an incredible recording of Wotan's Farewell (I remember you used to have the Boulez one in your sig):

Wow, thanks for sharing. That's a brilliant recording!

ReputationRep:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/crvsX4Fp0J8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One of my favourites.

ReputationRep:

I love listening to this.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.