Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've listened to a full Wagner work this year. I should hang myself.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

I've absolutely fallen in love with this Thomas Adés piece recently - I think it's just absolutely stunning (the 1st movement in particular)

I love the way the violin line just rises above the rest of the orchestra - it's a bit like someone put a Vaughan Williams piece through a mincer

ReputationRep:
    :yy:

Superb. The lark ascending as it should have been written.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Full-length Parsifal-

Mite b cool.

ReputationRep:

One of my favourite pieces written by our feline friends.

ReputationRep:
    It always sounds *****ier when it's sung by two countertenors

ReputationRep:
    Read OP's post and I agree with your favourites. Especially Bach!

~We live in an age of smart phones and stupid people.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Now that I've fallen in love with a few Romantic composer's including Chopin, I think I've finally become unbiased about prefering classical and baroque music. As such, I'll give Debussy another chance.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I'm new here
    I really enjoy listing to classical music but want to take it to the next level. I currently have a few albums of great pieces, however I really want to start exploring more classical music and building a knowledge of different composers etc

Where would be a good place to start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shmuco)
    Hello everyone, I'm new here
    I really enjoy listing to classical music but want to take it to the next level. I currently have a few albums of great pieces, however I really want to start exploring more classical music and building a knowledge of different composers etc

Where would be a good place to start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Youtube is always a good place to start, lots of recommended videos etc.

I'm liking Mahler at the moment. Always had a soft spot for Tchaikovsky too (I grew up doing ballet, sort of unavoidable)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if it qualifies as classical music but does anyone know the music played in this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA2Z4bYTPtw

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    In the 1996 film Romeo and Juliet, there is a shootout scene between the Montagues and Capulets and the Christ the Redeemer statue features in it. There is some sort of classical music being played in the background, anyone familiar with it?

I have Googled the soundtrack for the film but it doesn't appear to be on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by advent2)
    I'm not sure if it qualifies as classical music but does anyone know the music played in this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA2Z4bYTPtw

Sounds specially written but if you want more like it try Paderewski or, of course, Carl Orff. The music for the Omen was very similar. Danny Elfman does lots of good gothic stuff too.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been keeping up with Tom Services series in the Guardian on modern classical music?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/seri...lassical-music

He does a different modern composer each week, and recommends pieces to listen to (with links to recordings) and it's pretty good.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad that there are people out there who genuinely appreciate classical music
    As for me, I am in love with Chopin's piano works, especially his nocturnes. Tchaikovsky is brilliant too - his Nutcracker suite is beyond amazing.

For those of you who would like to explore more of classical music, YouTube is great. You'll also be able to gain more exposure to the performers performing their pieces.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be writing a suite if incidental music for a production of Romeo and Juliet set at the turn of the C19th. I want to emulate Michael Nyman using a chamber orchestra and am currently reviewing Beethoven's chamber music as a starting point and will probably make some anachronistic references to Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, West Side Story and Dire Straits (artfully disguised). Any other suggestions?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.