Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs. Political)
    i love moonlight sonata by beethoven, It's so depressing it's lovely to relax to.
    and peer gynt not sure how you spell his name though
    Moonlight Sonata is a nice piece to relax to, but it's kind of subtly depressing and would bring back all kinds of sad memories... well, that's what happens to me, but it remains one of my favourites

ReputationRep:
    I went to the opening prom, where the dutch violin played the Mendelssohn violin concerto. She was just outstanding and amazing to watch. I also loved the BSO's version of Elgar's Cockaigne overture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slstephen)
    Moonlight Sonata is a nice piece to relax to, but it's kind of subtly depressing and would bring back all kinds of sad memories... well, that's what happens to me, but it remains one of my favourites
    Hmm... I think the last movement is far from depressing! :eek: I'd call it ... stormy!

Edit: I've attached a MIDI in case anybody here doesn't know the last movement of the Moonlight
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip moonlight 3.zip (11.4 KB, 65 views)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Onearmedbandit]Hmm... I think the last movement is far from depressing! :eek: I'd call it ... stormy!

[QUOTE]

A totally irrelevant trivia which I read some years back: one of Sadaam's sons loved this piece!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Hmm... I think the last movement is far from depressing! :eek: I'd call it ... stormy!
    Hmm, stormy..........that reminds me....did anyone else study Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture for their AS Music set works? Along with the Mozart Piano Sonata in A and Handel's 'The King Shall Rejoice'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Hmm, stormy..........that reminds me....did anyone else study Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture for their AS Music set works? Along with the Mozart Piano Sonata in A and Handel's 'The King Shall Rejoice'?
    I did! Though my other two pieces were the second movement of Haydn's symphony 103 (if I remember rightly) and the last movement of Beethoven symphony 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    I did! Though my other two pieces were the second movement of Haydn's symphony 103 (if I remember rightly) and the last movement of Beethoven symphony 5.
    good pieces. I had to do last movement of B5 for my A level and have played both a few times with various orchestras.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I think i had to study Debussy's Prelude a l'apres midi d'une faune (sp??) and Wagner's Tristan und Isolde. They are incredible pieces of music, though Wagner's music makes me want to conquer Poland after 10 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneEightSeven)
    Wagner's music makes me want to conquer Poland after 10 minutes.
    Admit it, you pinched that from Woody Allen! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Guilty as charged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneEightSeven)
    I think i had to study Debussy's Prelude a l'apres midi d'une faune (sp??) and Wagner's Tristan und Isolde. They are incredible pieces of music, though Wagner's music makes me want to conquer Poland after 10 minutes.
    I really detest the debussy. I had to write an essay on it this year. The essay was good, the music was crap.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    good pieces. I had to do last movement of B5 for my A level and have played both a few times with various orchestras.
    Lucky you! Beethoven 5 is one of the pieces that I've always wanted to play in an orchestra, but haven't yet been able to do to date. It's such a fantastic piece isn't it - I know that because it's so firmly in the canon, some people look on it as rather a stereotype, but I don't care. There's a reason why it's so popular, after all...

Some of the other pieces I've always wanted to play, but haven't had the opportunity to yet -

Rossini, Overture to 'William Tell' - I've heard some people say it's 'tacky', but I profoundly disagree. There is much more to it than the last theme that everyone knows! I particularly like the beginning passage, played by a cello quintet from within the cello section.

Haydn, Trumpet Concerto in Eb (obviously as part of the orchestra rather than as the soloist - I can't play the trumpet!)

Mahler 5

Dvorak, Cello concerto (again, as part of the orchestra as I wouldn't be good enough to do the solo part)

A non-orchestral piece - Schubert, Trout Quintet, theme and variations (though I would also love to play the rest of it). I absolutely love this piece; one particular highlight is the second-to-last variation, which is an absolutely sublime cello solo. I can't listen to it without being moved.

Obviously there are other pieces I would love to play too - those are just a small selection! Have you got any pieces that you would love to play, but sadly haven't had the opportunity to do so yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Lucky you! Beethoven 5 is one of the pieces that I've always wanted to play in an orchestra, but haven't yet been able to do to date. It's such a fantastic piece isn't it - I know that because it's so firmly in the canon, some people look on it as rather a stereotype, but I don't care. There's a reason why it's so popular, after all...

Some of the other pieces I've always wanted to play, but haven't had the opportunity to yet -

Rossini, Overture to 'William Tell'
    Haydn, Trumpet Concerto in Eb (obviously as part of the orchestra rather than as the soloist - I can't play the trumpet!)
    Mahler 5
    Dvorak, Cello concerto (again, as part of the orchestra as I wouldn't be good enough to do the solo part)

A non-orchestral piece - Schubert, Trout Quintet, theme and variations (though I would also love to play the rest of it). I absolutely love this piece; one particular highlight is the second-to-last variation, which is an absolutely sublime cello solo. I can't listen to it without being moved.

Obviously there are other pieces I would love to play too - those are just a small selection! Have you got any pieces that you would love to play, but sadly haven't had the opportunity to do so yet?
    lol, You have some crazy taste in music. I have to admit that I really don't think much of the rossini (or any rossini for that matter). The Haydn's alright (but by no means a masterpiece or his best work). Mahler 5 I agree with. It's a great piece with a really cool horn part in the third movement, although the adagietto rather gets on my nerves. I do love the other movements but the opening is so strange given that he uses the motif from his fourth symphony, eveen though thee 5th is really a break-away from the wunderhorn theme and aesthetic. As for the Dvorak, I just findd it dry and academic. I can't find much to like about it. Too me it's like the worst side of brahms (a bit like the double-concerto really).

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    lol, You have some crazy taste in music. I have to admit that I really don't think much of the rossini (or any rossini for that matter). The Haydn's alright (but by no means a masterpiece or his best work). Mahler 5 I agree with. It's a great piece with a really cool horn part in the third movement, although the adagietto rather gets on my nerves. I do love the other movements but the opening is so strange given that he uses the motif from his fourth symphony, eveen though thee 5th is really a break-away from the wunderhorn theme and aesthetic. As for the Dvorak, I just findd it dry and academic. I can't find much to like about it. Too me it's like the worst side of brahms (a bit like the double-concerto really).
    What's crazy about it? Whether or not you like the pieces, they are masterpieces in the opinion of many other people. Just because I don't like a certain piece, it doesn't stop me acknowledging it as a masterpiece; for example, I'm not really a fan of atonal or twelve-tone music, but that doesn't stop me from recognising how great a composer Stravinsky was. And in any case, just because that trumpet concerto might not be Haydn't best piece (though how can we really tell - it's too subjective surely?), it doesn't mean I can't like it enough to want to play it.

:confused: You don't think much of Rossini? What do you think of the first passage of the 'William Tell'? (See my edit in my last post). I can't listen to it without feeling something within me melt; I've tried playing the solo cello part of the quintet, and doing so just strengthens my feelings. The overture to 'Semiramis' is good too. Why not listen to them again? I often find that with a piece I don't really like on first hearing, I think better of it having heard it a few more times.

About Dvorak being 'dry and academic' - I'm truly gobsmacked! To be honest I've heard the same thing said about Brahms, and I couldn't believe it then either. Talking about fantastic horn solos, there is a great one in the first movement of the Dvorak cello concerto, which is later played by the solo cellist - it's said that when he first composed it, it moved Dvorak to tears, and I can certainly see why. It is glorious. Have you heard Brahms 3? I played it last year, and it is far from dry or unemotional. I particularly recommend first theme in the second movement, played for the first time by the cello section.

What do you think of the Schubert?

ReputationRep:
    Is this an official society yet? Possible logo.. although it needs to be made smaller.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyB)
    Is this an official society yet? Possible logo.. although it needs to be made smaller.
    I'm not sure... I think it has enough diversity and potential for a very large number of members, so it should be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I'm not sure... I think it has enough diversity and potential for a very large number of members, so it should be
    Did you notice me asking to join?
    I don't really want to start posting here until the founder as it were has said I can... I'd feel like I was kind of butting in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent)
    Did you notice me asking to join?
    I don't really want to start posting here until the founder as it were has said I can... I'd feel like I was kind of butting in!
    Your name is in the members list at the beginning of the thread...

ReputationRep:
    Musicbloke - sorry if I sounded really upfront when answering your post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Musicbloke - sorry if I sounded really upfront when answering your post!

oh don't worry - I was gonna come back on it tonight - sorry I haven't answered yet.

MB

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.