Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boggieeiggob)
    Well when I was working with them, I saw loads of customers walk in, just look at them and go "no I don't want it" and sometimes some beginner children would be playing on like, the C and the D models as well as the M models. Of course there are people who are, as you say, enthusiasts but they shouldn't be allowed to try everything because pianos can degrade quickly and it takes a LONG time to restore one, and costs a bit to maintain a piano too.
    Of course allowing a handful would be fine as promotion, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will buy it. Some people might buy a Yamaha or a Fazioli instead, in which case time at Steinway was wasted.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people occasionally trying out pianos at Steinway, I'm just not favourable of the masses wandering in and out bashing away on everythjng

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pianos are meant to be played. Even great pianos need a certain amount of 'playing in' and whether or not people are going to buy a piano (which you don't do many times in your life) the point of a showroom is to get people to try your product. If I was buying one, I would want it to be played in and ready to go, so long as it wasn't damaged. I reckon pianos are tougher than people think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fingersmith)
    Pianos are meant to be played. Even great pianos need a certain amount of 'playing in' and whether or not people are going to buy a piano (which you don't do many times in your life) the point of a showroom is to get people to try your product. If I was buying one, I would want it to be played in and ready to go, so long as it wasn't damaged. I reckon pianos are tougher than people think.
    Of course, it's a similar concept to a "permanent warm up". But I would prefer to buy a completely new one that hasnt been played on by countless people, because I believe that then its no longer brand new.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Of course, it's a similar concept to a "permanent warm up". But I would prefer to buy a completely new one that hasnt been played on by countless people, because I believe that then its no longer brand new.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you're probably right. I wonder how many showroom pianos go to the public unless you get a good discount???

ReputationRep:
    I think you're probably right. I wonder how many showroom pianos go to the public unless you get a good discount???
    I can't really understand what your sarcasm is supposed to mean but actually I got my Steinway K as an ex display for about £3000 discount, so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can't really understand what your sarcasm is supposed to mean but actually I got my Steinway K as an ex display for about £3000 discount, so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No sarcasm intended! Never having bought a brand new piano from a showroom, I really didn't know the answer. Is it like cars where the showroom models are for trying out but then you order a new one or get a discounted ex-demo model?

ReputationRep:
    No sarcasm intended! Never having bought a brand new piano from a showroom, I really didn't know the answer. Is it like cars where the showroom models are for trying out but then you order a new one or get a discounted ex-demo model?
    I'm not sure because at Steinway hall, sometimes they put a little leaflet basically saying that particular one is sold but they said they have a warehouse so I'm guessing you can try one, and buy a brand new one that comes their warehouse or something. You can get discount ex-display ones though (as I did) but otherwise I'm not really sure. I generally saw sold leaflets on a lot of their pianos at the showroom

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jtking3000)
    HAHA GENIUS- how he stops playing in the middle of epicness and proceeds to logically explain his raw talent.

And so I subscribe to this Soc: the beginning of something special. ^^

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

Little known gem.

ReputationRep:
    I remember going through Buxtehude's chamber works some time last year.
    Nice to hear him again ^-^

ReputationRep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyOZ2IGr_QM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhHVTeuW5zI

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could anyone please recommend me some good classical music to listen to while studying? A relaxing, not-too-loud music would be good I really like Nocturnes - Chopin. Is there anything similar to this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantern)
    Hi, could anyone please recommend me some good classical music to listen to while studying? A relaxing, not-too-loud music would be good I really like Nocturnes - Chopin. Is there anything similar to this?

I think Prelude l'apres Midi d'une Faune is quite nice, and it lasts a bit too. You might like the Sarabande from Debussy's Suite pour le Piano as well, some lovely bits in there. Try Claire de Lune and/or 1st Arabesque as well. Chopin's Prelude No1. Op25 isn't hugely relaxing because it's forward-moving (closest I can describe) but it's nice to listen to as well. His raindrop prelude used to make me kinda sleepy too but yeah, his nocturnes are normally the most relaxing in my opinion.
    Besides Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata 1st movement and Symphony No6 (pastoral movement) I think mvt2 (specifically 1 movement because some of the others are quite loud). But I'm sure I've given you more than enough recommendations for the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think Prelude l'apres Midi d'une Faune is quite nice, and it lasts a bit too. You might like the Sarabande from Debussy's Suite pour le Piano as well, some lovely bits in there. Try Claire de Lune and/or 1st Arabesque as well. Chopin's Prelude No1. Op25 isn't hugely relaxing because it's forward-moving (closest I can describe) but it's nice to listen to as well. His raindrop prelude used to make me kinda sleepy too but yeah, his nocturnes are normally the most relaxing in my opinion.
    Besides Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata 1st movement and Symphony No6 (pastoral movement) I think mvt2 (specifically 1 movement because some of the others are quite loud). But I'm sure I've given you more than enough recommendations for the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your suggestions

ReputationRep:
    Try Chopin's waltz's

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha no worries, it's easy for me to pick a few because I have such a small repertoire ^^ I think certain Mozart sonata's might satisfy your criteria too. Maybe k333 or k570? They're again forward moving but 333 is a jolly little tune (first MVT, if I remember correctly) whilst movement 2 of k570 is much slower and much more lyrical (is that makes sense given it's Mozart?) but yeah, I think I've exhausted my repertoire

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.