Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classical Music Society watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    oh don't worry - I was gonna come back on it tonight - sorry I haven't answered yet.

MB
    No problem. I know I didn't answer your post in the most technical way possible, but in my defence, it was straight from the heart! It's always hard to be objective about pieces you love (and hate) - even more so than with pieces you just feel 'average' about, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent)
    Did you notice me asking to join?
    I don't really want to start posting here until the founder as it were has said I can... I'd feel like I was kind of butting in!
    Of course I noticed ... you're on the list on the first post, therefore you're a member

ReputationRep:
    *Nudges musicbloke* :p:

ReputationRep:
    Danny Elfman is a legend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Danny Elfman is a legend
    Who's he?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Who's he?
    Composer of the theme tune to the Simpsons I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Composer of the theme tune to the Simpsons I think.
    Yep, though he's not as well-known for that. He's done scores for loads of films

ReputationRep:
    Yep, though he's not as well-known for that. He's done scores for loads of films
    Oh right! I suppose I should know that then...

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't he composed the music for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or did I make that up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Hasn't he composed the music for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or did I make that up?
    Yes he has! And it's supposed to be his best score for years.

ReputationRep:
    Yes he has! And it's supposed to be his best score for years.
    Heh. I know all.

ReputationRep:
    can i join please? i play the piano and i have learnt quite a few classical pices and im working on Le Onde and Ronda Alla Turka. i also play the flute and have just finished learning Siciliano but i hav no accompaniyment :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trish xx)
    Ronda Alla Turka. (
    I love that piece, it's great isn't it? Have you tried having a go at any of the other movements of the sonata it's from?

Edit: It's 'Rondo alla Turka', by the way...

ReputationRep:
    can i join please? i play the piano and i have learnt quite a few classical pices and im working on Le Onde and Ronda Alla Turka. i also play the flute and have just finished learning Siciliano but i hav no accompaniyment :'(
    Sure

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Now this is a society I really want to join. I'm a flautist and (pretty poor) pianist. I am most interested in everything from the early romantic to the pleasant day, and whilst I like Mozart and Bach etc. do not get as much out of their music as later composers.

My favourite composers are probably firstly Dvorak - in my opinion one of the best orchestrators, Sibelius, for his beautiful and distinctive sound and Tchaikovsky. I've also always been interested in folk music in classical pieces (one of the reasons why I particularly like Dvorak), and so I also like listening to music by english composers who ahve taken and developed the english folk 'sound' - e.g. Walton, Vaughan Williams.

On more modern music, I love listening to and playing film music. I'm not usually too keen on musicals, but I absolutely love the music from West Side Story (perhaps from studying it too long for A level!) - I'm not so keen on more recent writing that aims to be 'clever' rather than 'listenable to' - I think people need to be able to relate to music, and highly academic pieces can only deter people

Favourite pieces include (and I have many)

Scénes Historiques - Jean Sibelius
    The Golden Spinning Wheel - Dvorak
    Symphony nr. 8 - Dvorak
    Belshazzar's Feast - Walton
    West Side Story Score - Bernstein

I used to love composition, but haven't had the time recently , but one day I would like to write some decent orchestral music. I know there's a few more composers here - perhaps we could have some means of listening too and reviewing each others work - That might motivate me to put virtual pen to virtual paper again!

Wow! That was longer than planned! - Anyway, it's great to see there's so many other people who love 'classical' music - it's often quite hard outside of ensembles to find people who share this interest.

ReputationRep:
    Who's that by?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipGarsed)
    Hi! Now this is a society I really want to join. I'm a flautist and (pretty poor) pianist. I am most interested in everything from the early romantic to the pleasant day, and whilst I like Mozart and Bach etc. do not get as much out of their music as later composers.

My favourite composers are probably firstly Dvorak - in my opinion one of the best orchestrators, Sibelius, for his beautiful and distinctive sound and Tchaikovsky. I've also always been interested in folk music in classical pieces (one of the reasons why I particularly like Dvorak), and so I also like listening to music by english composers who ahve taken and developed the english folk 'sound' - e.g. Walton, Vaughan Williams.

On more modern music, I love listening to and playing film music. I'm not usually too keen on musicals, but I absolutely love the music from West Side Story (perhaps from studying it too long for A level!) - I'm not so keen on more recent writing that aims to be 'clever' rather than 'listenable to' - I think people need to be able to relate to music, and highly academic pieces can only deter people

Favourite pieces include (and I have many)

Scénes Historiques - Jean Sibelius
    The Golden Spinning Wheel - Dvorak
    Symphony nr. 8 - Dvorak
    Belshazzar's Feast - Walton
    West Side Story Score - Bernstein

I used to love composition, but haven't had the time recently , but one day I would like to write some decent orchestral music. I know there's a few more composers here - perhaps we could have some means of listening too and reviewing each others work - That might motivate me to put virtual pen to virtual paper again!

Wow! That was longer than planned! - Anyway, it's great to see there's so many other people who love 'classical' music - it's often quite hard outside of ensembles to find people who share this interest.

Welcome aboard!

What program/s do you use to compose?

ReputationRep:
    Welcome aboard!

What program/s do you use to compose?
    I used Sibelius, but haven't had access to it since I left college. It's a great piece of software and I would go out an buy it instantly if it didn't cost half a grand - its ridiculously overpriced. I know there's a student edition, but it is useless for experimenting with large ensembles since you can only get 8 staves. Anyone got some good recommendations for alternative software?

ReputationRep:

Ooooooh!! I love Le Onde by Einaudi!!! I adore his music, even saw him in concert!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipGarsed)
    I used Sibelius, but haven't had access to it since I left college. It's a great piece of software and I would go out an buy it instantly if it didn't cost half a grand - its ridiculously overpriced. I know there's a student edition, but it is useless for experimenting with large ensembles since you can only get 8 staves. Anyone got some good recommendations for alternative software?
    I wish I could afford Sibelius too. It's sooooooo expensive. I should have done a Mike and nicked a copy from my school before I left! :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.