Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Just wondered if anyone had any general advice on how to approach this part pf the exam because so far my essays have been a bit hit and miss depending on whether i've got to grips with the poem!!

Any help would be appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    I assume you mean for Unit 6? (edexcel B)

Poetry:
    Is it in a reauglar form?/Use of stazas?/Irregularities
    Who is the speaker? What is the tone?
    What is the beat (metre) of the poem?
    What devices are used? Imagery, repitition etc.. and what effect do they have?
    Can the poem be divided?/are the any changes or climaxes?
    Is the language formal/colloqiual etc

It's obviously also important to understand the message and then link it to the Dickens piece. Remember it could be a piece of drama too!

ReputationRep:
    Um no that's not what i'm doing - it's on the criticism and comparison paper with comparison of novels - in my case Wuth Heights and Return of the Native - the poetry (or prose but there's a choice and we do poetry) is on its own - no comparison - but your points were helpful anyway so thank you!

ReputationRep:
    When I do the unseen poetry I always follow this general outline:
    - Subject (what is the poem about- very basic quick outline)
    - Message (what is the poem trying to say)
    - Voice (is the poet speaking or is it an assumed character)
    - Form and structure (number of stanzas, line length, rhyme scheme, metre etc- but this has to be linked to meaning. Don't say there are three stanzas with 6 lines each unless you can actually relate this in some way to the poem's meaning)
    - Language (analyse some key lines, metaphors etc, and use these to back up your argument as regards the poem, but don't try to go through the poem line by line)
    - Achievement (has the poet succeeded in conveying their message? don't be afraid to criticise aspects that haven't worked and discuss which aspects have.)

Hope this helps. Good luck for tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarplumc)
    When I do the unseen poetry I always follow this general outline:
    - Subject (what is the poem about- very basic quick outline)
    - Message (what is the poem trying to say)
    - Voice (is the poet speaking or is it an assumed character)
    - Form and structure (number of stanzas, line length, rhyme scheme, metre etc- but this has to be linked to meaning. Don't say there are three stanzas with 6 lines each unless you can actually relate this in some way to the poem's meaning)
    - Language (analyse some key lines, metaphors etc, and use these to back up your argument as regards the poem, but don't try to go through the poem line by line)
    - Achievement (has the poet succeeded in conveying their message? don't be afraid to criticise aspects that haven't worked and discuss which aspects have.)

Hope this helps. Good luck for tomorrow!
    wow thanks thats really helpful! Ive been so worried about the two texts im comparing that iv totally neglected the unseen bit. Is there any kind of structure like that we could use if we choose the answer the unseen prose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrgh)
    wow thanks thats really helpful! Ive been so worried about the two texts im comparing that iv totally neglected the unseen bit. Is there any kind of structure like that we could use if we choose the answer the unseen prose?
    yeah me too- I haven't thought about the poetry at all! I've never done an unseen prose one, we were told the poetry was easier, so I'm sorry i can't help you there. I'm sure you'll be fine though.

ReputationRep:
    oh crap..theres unseen poetry ?!?!?!? i thought it was just unseen prose..obviously got a well prepared teacher,smooth.

ReputationRep:
    no you either do then poetry or prose.. so if your teacher has prepared you for poetry you do that and if u hgave been prepared for prose then do that one

ReputationRep:
    What did everybody think of this exam?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...........I'm not sure. I'm starting to think I'm not good enough at english to do it at uni

ReputationRep:
    God, don't say that! I'm sure your are! Why?! What makes you think you mucked it up? I admit the poem that they gave us was a bit odd but if you rambled a bit I'm sure you got the points required.

ReputationRep:
    I liked the poem, but my comparison was awful. Done the Austen one, and they were definetly the worst Austen questions I've ever seen!!! What was your argument for the poem? I said it was a Nature VS Man Made kinda thing, but others said it was simply an aeroplane flight ... What you think?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that was the general core of my interpretation, though I threw in bits about Industrial Revolution and stuff. I can't remember entirely what I rambled on about but I remember thinking it was ironic that he seemed to be condemning the man-made world and celebrating Nature when a man-made invention such as the aeroplane enabled him to see the grandeur and awe of Nature itself. Hmm... I don't know. I can't even remember if that was what I wrote!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 13, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.