Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm a bit confused with potential dividers in one of my books it says:

The voltage is divided in the ratio of the resistances, so the larger value resistor has the greater voltage across it

Decreasing the resistance of the variable resistor causes the output voltage to rise

I dont get it, they are both contradicting eachother right please help!?

Thanks

From John Wood

ReputationRep:
    >>The voltage is divided in the ratio of the resistances, so the larger value resistor has the greater voltage across it<<
    True. V=IR, if I is the same and R goes up V must go up.

>>Decreasing the resistance of the variable resistor causes the output voltage to rise<<
    Confusing statement.
    But we are talking about a variable resistor set up in a potential divider situation. If you decrease the resistance by sliding the slider, you also increase the resistance of the other terminal! Remember is like having 2 resistors, slide the slider one goes up one goes down.

Lets say you have the slider in the middle you might have - 5ohms&5ohms. Slide the slider you might have 4ohms&6ohms. Slide some more your might have 3ohms&7ohms. Slide the slider all the way 0ohms&10ohms. So you can see one goes up one goes down.

ReputationRep:
    We'd better not have to know that for GCSE...My exam is tomorrow and I don't know what you're on about

ReputationRep:
    Its actually quite simple. Remember V=IR. The current flowing through a series circuit is constant. Soooo the only variable that determins the Voltage across the resistor (that is the difference in voltage between the two ends of the resistor) is proportional of the resistance.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.