Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last year I managed to get AAC overall, and I've already got 1 A this year guaranteed through ICT (coursework based).

The Uni I'm going to requires BBC or 280 UCAS points. Since I have 245/300 in Sociology, I think it should be relatively easy to get a C in it. Had 2 exams so far, if I've done really badly I should at least get 2 Ds (90 marks) with 120 marks on the last exam (which I have a week to revise for). Should I get say, a B on that, it'd bring my marks to around 420. Enough for a B. But I'm not sure and I'm thinking I could get an overall C in Sociology.

In addition to that, I had my 2 history exams today. Earlier in the year my final piece of coursework (120 marks) was said to be a good B, so that takes my overall UCAS grade so far to about 280. After today's exams, I'm not sure if I'm going to get the extra 80 marks from the exams to reach an overall C. At the start of my vision I thought 280 UCAS points would be easy, but I think I've tripped up.

Sorry for the long explanation, but my question is, if say I were to get one grade lower than expected, are University's usually sympathetic or are they hard line on UCAS grades?

ReputationRep:
    If you get one grade lower than expected (e.g. from BBC/280 points to BBD), they might still accept you. It depends if the course is competitive or not. Remember they base their offers and acceptances on grades, personal statement, and reference. By the way, what course did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    Computer science, East Anglia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hardflip)
    I'm sure you can still get in. If you are worried, you could call them and see what would happen if you have one grade short and will you still accept me.

ReputationRep:
    lets say you offer was BBC and you got ABD or even AAE whats your chances? are unis fussy if u still meet the same points but in a slightly different way than it states on ther UCAS offer ..

ReputationRep:
    Ok if you had offer ABC or BBB and got BBC and a D at AS do you think they would accept that? Is there any point calling up the uni to ask before the results are out. I want to do psychology and i know that's really competitive so am i stuffed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hardflip)
    If you get an A in ICT, a C in sociology and a D in history, that will only be 20 points short (260 instead of 280). You'd have to phone UEA on results day to see if they'd still accept you, and obviously that will depend on how many other people miss their offers, but considering 20 points isn't much at all and you'll have an A in the relevant subject, they should hopefully let you in. I think you're being a bit pessimistic about sociology though. To get a B at A-level, you need 420 points, and if you already have 245 from AS, that means you only need 175, or a high D, at A2 to get an overall B. If you get ABD, that will give you the required 280 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchiBoi)
    lets say you offer was BBC and you got ABD or even AAE whats your chances? are unis fussy if u still meet the same points but in a slightly different way than it states on ther UCAS offer ..
    I think it depends on how exactly they set out the conditions in your offer letter. For universities that don't use the UCAS tariff, obviously it doesn't matter what your points equivalent is because all they're interested in is the grades. If they just use points and don't mention grades at all, you can obviously get them in any way. If they use both, I would have thought they'd be pretty flexible as long as you got a high enough grade in your chosen subject. This is something you could probably find out pretty easily by phoning or emailing the admissions tutor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_meiow)
    Ok if you had offer ABC or BBB and got BBC and a D at AS do you think they would accept that? Is there any point calling up the uni to ask before the results are out. I want to do psychology and i know that's really competitive so am i stuffed?
    It depends on how well everyone else does, but generally missing an offer by one grade isn't too much of a problem. It wouldn't hurt to phone the university before results day and ask. They probably get loads of phone calls and emails about what happens if you miss your offer, and while they won't be able to give you a direct answer, they can be a lot more informative than myself and others on :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I think it depends on how exactly they set out the conditions in your offer letter. For universities that don't use the UCAS tariff, obviously it doesn't matter what your points equivalent is because all they're interested in is the grades. If they just use points and don't mention grades at all, you can obviously get them in any way. If they use both, I would have thought they'd be pretty flexible as long as you got a high enough grade in your chosen subject. This is something you could probably find out pretty easily by phoning or emailing the admissions tutor.
    Yes, the UCAS tariff is flexible. Some uni's will say this amount of tariff points including 3 A-levels (i.e. the 3 A-levels must add up to that amount of points), while some uni's say the amount of points they want without saying how many A-levels to include (e.g. my uni just only say tariff points and didn't say how man A-levels to include to make that amount of points. I could do 3 A-levels, and a few more AS levels, and fail some of them and pass some of them and get that amount of points). Therefore, they won't mind what grade combinations you get as long as you get that amount of points. :p:

If you miss the offer, most likely UCAS and the uni will either accept you or decline you. There is no need to call them. Sometimes you can call them to change their mind though.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.