Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When I first came on here I read something about the government give you money if your the first person in your family to go to university, is this true? I'm a little confused as none of my family have been to University (though my father got an economics degree learning privately in his own time) does this mean I'm eligible for a bit of a helping hand, or does it count on the University, or the course I'm taking?
    I'm still having trouble with my tutor, there's like a month to go, I finished it in October, I've made a formal complaint to the principal and yet nothing....

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you get any extra money for being the first person. You just get a student loan like the rest of us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    When I first came on here I read something about the government give you money if your the first person in your family to go to university, is this true? I'm a little confused as none of my family have been to University (though my father got an economics degree learning privately in his own time) does this mean I'm eligible for a bit of a helping hand, or does it count on the University, or the course I'm taking?
    I'm still having trouble with my tutor, there's like a month to go, I finished it in October, I've made a formal complaint to the principal and yet nothing....
    I think some universities give you a 'bursary' for being the first person in your family to go to uni. Someone on my course here got £2000!!! Though i'm not sure if they give you the whole lot in one go, they may pay it across a couple of years while you are at uni or something.

But still £2000 is rather a nice sum of money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I think some universities give you a 'bursary' for being the first person in your family to go to uni. Someone on my course here got £2000!!! Though i'm not sure if they give you the whole lot in one go, they may pay it across a couple of years while you are at uni or something.

But still £2000 is rather a nice sum of money!

Really? What do they count as family? My cousin went before me, or is that too distant family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    Really? What do they count as family? My cousin went before me, or is that too distant family?
    I'm not sure - seeing as both my parents went through higher education I know I definately don't qualify for it at all. Go and find out at your registery if you are able to have one. Though I think now you may have to wait til next September, as here you could only apply for one up until about mid-October.

(Original post by Danithestudent)
    i think your application will just be looked upon more favourably as uni's have to reach a certain quota of first in the family, disadvantaged areas etc.

i've never heard of anyone being given money for this reason but perhaps its just certain unis

ReputationRep:
    I think some universities do have bursaries available, but you'd have to check with the individual institutions. Similarly, some universities have bursaries for pupils who are on full fee remission and get full loan.

I'm not eligible for either though, as my parents and grandparents went to university (although my Grandma failed her degree because she was busy being president of the student union - not a sabbatical position back then!), and their income is just over the threshold. Meanwhile my friends are getting lots of money...

ReputationRep:
    i know that marks and spencers are running a scheme for students who's parents didnt go into university
    they're offering sponsorship of £1000 in your first year , followed by £500 the following years
    i would of applied to this but they would prefer people heading into the retail sector :confused:
    and i'm definately definately not taking a degree in economics to head into retail management :rolleyes:

feel free to ask me for more details though

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.