Turn on thread page Beta

Are we becoming a paranoid nation? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok funny thing happened to me today. I was in a café in town having breakfast when this guy in a suit came in with a breifcase, and I thought oh whatever he's probably on his way to work or on a break, and so carried on eating. Only problem was when he got up and left he left his breifcase nearly out of sight by the desk... and my first instinct wasn't: oh look he's forgot it.. it was more like what if that's a bomb? Luckily he came running back about 30 seconds later and picked it up... my question is:

Are we becoming a paranoid nation? Or was that being appropriately wary?

ReputationRep:
    We are becoming not only a paranoid nation, but a paranoid society - if the man sitting next to you sin't a terrorist he's probably a mugger or a paedophile; at least that's what the press and government would like us to think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Ok funny thing happened to me today. I was in a café in town having breakfast when this guy in a suit came in with a breifcase, and I thought oh whatever he's probably on his way to work or on a break, and so carried on eating. Only problem was when he got up and left he left his breifcase nearly out of sight by the desk... and my first instinct wasn't: oh look he's forgot it.. it was more like what if that's a bomb? Luckily he came running back about 30 seconds later and picked it up... my question is:

Oh yeah. I'm like that all the time.

I'm on the train, late for school, dead bored because it's so slow, and I see someone and I think - what if they were a terrorist? What if the train were to blow up? Derail?

I do this every so often, but it is different from actual suspicion. One time I was sure this drunk nutter was going to punch me or the lady next to me, and then I was scared.

But note - you didn't actually call the police or anything. That's the difference between paranoia and idle speculation. When it's paranoia, you actually believe it (and so act).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's all the work of the press. That's why pro-Americanist joy is the new Punk Rock; we love the way the biggest civilized nation is fighting terrorism for the good of the rest, and are all to happy to pat them on the back for it on a regular basis; overhyping any little good thing and ignoring the bad to make them look even more valiant.

More likely: Are we becoming a conspiracy theorist nation?

Unfortunately, thousands have died in the last few years because of terrorism; the organisations responsible boast their intentions to murder millions more. Our biggest advantage is they come from foreign countries - but an unknown number of unidentified persons break our security every year, any of whom could be the next 9/11 hijackers or Madrid train bombers.

I think it's legitimate worry.

In my humble opinion... yes, we are. Why? Danger sells. Thus, the press may in theory be encouraged to include slightly more negative coverage than they otherwise would. This is not necessarily conscious, but the media knows what makes a good story, and it's hardly ever "PM ADMITS: ALL IS FINE", or "MAJORITY OF FOODS FOUND SAFE". The big sellers are the scandals, the alarming trends, the cancer worries.

Can we solve this? No, not really. In the free market, this is the way things will go for as long as it makes profit. The only people that can stop us becoming a paranoid nation is the nation themselves. Take what you hear with a pinch of salt: not all those with camera phones are out to stab you and sell the footage, and the chances of being killed by terrorists are within half a percentage point of the chances of being killed by poodles with flick-knives. If we get to the point where we are willing to accept what we read and hear without question, then the situation is a truly worrying one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    More likely: Are we becoming a conspiracy theorist nation?
    Look no further than the "Was the moon landing faked?" thread, and the rousing support for a massive conspiracy despite evidence to the contrary AND the sheer impossibility of keeping such an operation from becoming public knowledge after almost 40 years.

ReputationRep:
    I blame the Social Learning Theory...... we see our role models, Bush and Blair, being paranoid, and coming up with the craziest of schemes (ID cards - cmon, what are they smoking?!), so we perceive it as the sensible thing to do.

Newsflash: Bush fears worst as pigeon was caught flying over the pentagon.... Was this another terrorist attack?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    I blame the Social Learning Theory...... we see our role models, Bush and Blair, being paranoid, and coming up with the craziest of schemes (ID cards - cmon, what are they smoking?!), so we perceive it as the sensible thing to do.

Newsflash: Bush fears worst as pigeon was caught flying over the pentagon.... Was this another terrorist attack?
    :rofl: I wouldn't call Bush and Blair my role models... but I see your point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Look no further than the "Was the moon landing faked?" thread, and the rousing support for a massive conspiracy despite evidence to the contrary AND the sheer impossibility of keeping such an operation from becoming public knowledge after almost 40 years.
    That's what inspired me ..plus the Diana murder & various others, all within the space of a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    That's what inspired me ..plus the Diana murder & various others, all within the space of a day.
    Of course, D&D has been kind of dead lately, so they may just be desperate attempts to revive the forum.

ReputationRep:
    The Daily Mail love paranoia. Their headline is always one of: MRSA Superbug(!!), Terrorism, Paedophiles, new Water/Plant/Air/Chocolate/Car that causes cancer or new Water/Plant/Air/Chocolate/Car that cures cancer.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. MRSA, terrorism, cancer and peidophillia bieng delusions and all.

(Original post by thebucketwoman)
    The Daily Mail love paranoia. Their headline is always one of: MRSA Superbug(!!), Terrorism, Paedophiles, new Water/Plant/Air/Chocolate/Car that causes cancer or new Water/Plant/Air/Chocolate/Car that cures cancer.
    "Asylum-seeking paedophiles may cause cancer in women". Probably.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Paranoid ... me? What? Why are you saying that? I'm not, am I? Who are you? What do you want? Just take it, take it all! Leave me alone!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    "Asylum-seeking paedophiles may cause cancer in women". Probably.
    grr ya beat me to it... I was gonna go with "Horde of Paedo-Asylum seekers to flood britain for gay marriage!"

you only need to look at the News of the World's naming and shaming campaign and the reaction to it to see just how irrational and paranoid the British Pubilc are becoming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)

Definitely, and with good reason.
    We now live in a more dangerous society, with far more outlets for criminals.

The threat of terrorism is more real than ever, following 911 people really understand the capabilities of terrorists, and that if they can attack America's two greatest buildings, they could quite easily perform an attack on the Underground, or in Oxford street.

Criminals are becoming more sophisticated, making use of modern technology. Increasingly, we need to be aware, and we need to be alert. It could be anything from making sure you have anti-virus software to ensuring you get some discrete black headphones for your ipod.

You should always be prepared, and make life as difficult as possible for the criminal and the terrorist.

(Original post by beekeeper_)
    Definitely, and with good reason.
    We now live in a more dangerous society, with far more outlets for criminals.

The threat of terrorism is more real than ever, following 911 people really understand the capabilities of terrorists, and that if they can attack America's two greatest buildings, they could quite easily perform an attack on the Underground, or in Oxford street.

Criminals are becoming more sophisticated, making use of modern technology. Increasingly, we need to be aware, and we need to be alert. It could be anything from making sure you have anti-virus software to ensuring you get some discrete black headphones for your ipod.

You should always be prepared, and make life as difficult as possible for the criminal and the terrorist.
    Now, come on... is society really that much more dangerous? Those who do have crimes committed against them still make up only a tiny minority of the population as a whole. Of course, vigilance is advised, but not paranoia: surely we should not let such unlikely fears dissuade us from living our lives in the way that would otherwise be the case?

ReputationRep:
    if there's a good reason then yechnically we're not paranoid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Now, come on... is society really that much more dangerous? Those who do have crimes committed against them still make up only a tiny minority of the population as a whole. Of course, vigilance is advised, but not paranoia: surely we should not let such unlikely fears dissuade us from living our lives in the way that would otherwise be the case?
    Absolutely, however it would be foolish to pretend we live in a safe environment where anyone and everyone can be trusted.
    The more vigilant and aware we are of the risks, the more difficult it is for the offender.

It is a fact that there are more outlets for criminals to take advantage of, it is the drawback of using sophisticated technology.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.