Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It amazes me how Universities rely on A-Level results, when those results do not represent the creativity of a student. Some students may have amazing creativity and interest in a chosen subject but they may not get AAAA in their A-Levels.

Creativity is the key behind new scientific discoveries, the Nobel Prize is awarded for original research, which is also significant obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Kangaroo)
    It amazes me how Universities rely on A-Level results, when those results do not represent the creativity of a student. Some students may have amazing creativity and interest in a chosen subject but they may not get AAAA in their A-Levels.

Creativity is the key behind new scientific discoveries, the Nobel Prize is awarded for original research, which is also significant obviously.
    You've gotta tow the line and learn QM before you discover the ins and outs of magnetism though.

ReputationRep:
    riccardo that seems quite obvious, but University also tries to prepare you for standing on your own two feet, this is something that is very important but is picked up easier by some people than others. But it is true that this cannot be assessed as easy as A-Level results.

Either way all I am doing is stating the obvious, the University admission process is by no means perfect.

ReputationRep:
    All I mean is that unless you have some basic knowledge your creativity won't do much good as you won't get to be creative until PhD at least. So creativity isn't really a prerequisite for university study and shouldn't be seen as more important than your grades which represent your knowledge (on a given day in June.)

ReputationRep:
    I think you both are arguing the same point but from different positions.

Clearly you have to be intelligent and do enought work to understand existing physics. It is only when you have achieved this will extra creativity help you discover new things.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I got me a chum whose A-levels are distinctly average (at uni physics level, that is, they're damn good for most other folks). And he's absolutely excelled at degree level, and is easily better than half the people at oxbridge. It's all about when you intellectually "blossom".

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.