Turn on thread page Beta

Who thinks edexcel are idiots to stop Nov A Level sitting? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think its really stupid of edexcel to scrap the November A Level sitting. This is a period of time when maths is still in the heads of some people who narrowly missed a grade, and now subsequently have to wait until january to retake......

ReputationRep:
    I didnt know this. noooooooooooooooo.. i mean.. yes i concur- they are idiots

ReputationRep:
    Although im a tory i dont believe privatising every single thing is good for everyone!

They're only doing this to save on costs!

ReputationRep:
    Suppose they scrapped it like you said to save money, november sitting would prolly only be used by people resitting and maybe with the new syllabus fm who perhaps sit a unit then like c1 etc.......

O well least they can spend more time concentrating on the january and june papers now perhaps making them fairer all around instead of them moving form one wild extreme to another!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody1)
    Suppose they scrapped it like you said to save money, november sitting would prolly only be used by people resitting and maybe with the new syllabus fm who perhaps sit a unit then like c1 etc.......

O well least they can spend more time concentrating on the january and june papers now perhaps making them fairer all around instead of them moving form one wild extreme to another!!!
    They are fairer

ReputationRep:
    dunno why they did that actually. I have to teach myself S1 and was quite looking forward to finishing it up in Nov.. oh well

ReputationRep:
    But having exam periods in Jan and Nov means more opportunities for people to take 1 or 2 exams at a time which means alevels become an even worse assessment of ability and getting a grade is even more trivial, particularly in subjects like biology which mainly involve cramming for exams.
    Still it's annoying cos spacing exams out can be nice!

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel are stupid but imo this isnt a bad idea all round

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we were ever allowed to take any Maths papers in November in our college anyway, so it doesn't make that much of a difference to me.

ReputationRep:
    I think they're idiots, but this isn't why.

There's no point having the november sitting, because you won't get the results back until January and by that time it's too late to enter yourself for the january exams if you did badly in november, so you'll have to wait until june, anyway.

If, on the other hand you sit an exam in January, you get the results back in March, giving you a few weeks to enter yourself for the June exams.

The only this I will say, is that maybe people that wanted to take exams in november so they could concentrate on other subjects come January, will suffer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melbourne)
    They're only doing this to save on costs!
    Absolutely.

If they had been making a huge amount of money on November entries, the only thing that would cause them to abandon them would be a directive from the DfEE, or higher up.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    I can sympathise with both sides of the argument.
    It has to be acknowledged though that many centres don't enter any candidates for November exams.
    I think the timing of exams in general is less than perfect though. It would be ideal if we moved January exams and summer exams so that they occured 2 months earlier. That way people wouldn't suffer because of hot sticky weather and we could change the university application system, so people apply after results.

ReputationRep:
    its alot of mony and only 2 months more of waiting.... theres no real point of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amo1)
    its alot of mony and only 2 months more of waiting.... theres no real point of them
    yes but i think it can affect you mentally.>>>> someone who missed a grade for university will have to wait until march to see whether they've got that place.......... (remember they'll be a year older).

ReputationRep:
    I think its silly , I did my m1 and p1 resit last nov at a college. Only because i wanted to get them out of the way . I had like i whole week to revise for just these two exams. I think the only reason for nov exams is get the best possible marks on easy exams and then worry about jan exams. Other than revisng like easy exams and hard exams for jan. but then again I am talking about maths. The new core exams are a piss take. There took off a complete appiled unit, for mecahnics they knocked off M3. WHICH is like one of the hardest exams for maths. So i guess in a way thats wat u get for a easy A grade in maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david cool)
    I think its silly , I did my m1 and p1 resit last nov at a college. Only because i wanted to get them out of the way . I had like i whole week to revise for just these two exams. I think the only reason for nov exams is get the best possible marks on easy exams and then worry about jan exams. Other than revisng like easy exams and hard exams for jan. but then again I am talking about maths. The new core exams are a piss take. There took off a complete appiled unit, for mecahnics they knocked off M3. WHICH is like one of the hardest exams for maths. So i guess in a way thats wat u get for a easy A grade in maths.
    1) No they didnt knock off unit M3 (for edexcel) the units are:

C1,2,3,4
    FP1,2,3
    M1,2,3,4,5
    S1,2,3
    D1,2

2) Yes you dont have to do an extra applied unit, but your pure maths has to be better as 66% of the a level will be beased on this, in comparison to your "piss take" of 50%.

ReputationRep:
    They are stopping it because of costs and it will make their specification less attractive. AQA are popular with physics because they do all the modules in january even though sometimes they only get around 13 candidates. I agree with edexcel and I would also agree that they should stop january exams as well. This country is obsessed with over-assessment and it costs an awful lot of money, for both schools and candidates. I think they should go back to the old style A level with 4 modules, 2 in first year 2 in second year. Too many people, especially in my school, are just retaking all the time, sometimes the same module 4 times. And nomatter how hard they try, they keep getting low grades, partly because they have so much to revise for.
    For me and most people I was assessed in year 9 for SATs, yr 10 for mock GCSEs, yr 11 for GCSEs, year 12 january and summer for ASs, and yr 13 january and summer for A2s. It means im spending time revising while also trying to learn new stuff which just doesnt work and then we waste weeks on study leave. We never finished our chemistry Alevel because we didnt have time, so Ive had to learn the rest in the few weeks of study leave when i should be revising for everything else. The fault of this though is not all about exams, mainly our teacher not planning and us, the pupils.
    Does anyone agree with me?

Also:
    Yes you dont have to do an extra applied unit, but your pure maths has to be better as 66% of the a level will be beased on this, in comparison to your "piss take" of 50%.
    even though pure is 2/3rds, they whole idea of splitting 3 modules into 4 is so stupid. Part of their excuse was that the content is so large. Maths has hardly any content compared to physics or chemistry or most alevels. I could write the whole content on 2 pages of A4 if i wanted (slight exaggeration). What I like about the maths alevel content is the fact that you dont have to remember alot, it tests your understanding rather than your memory which im rubbish at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r_perry)
    They are stopping it because of costs and it will make their specification less attractive. AQA are popular with physics because they do all the modules in january even though sometimes they only get around 13 candidates. I agree with edexcel and I would also agree that they should stop january exams as well. This country is obsessed with over-assessment and it costs an awful lot of money, for both schools and candidates. I think they should go back to the old style A level with 4 modules, 2 in first year 2 in second year. Too many people, especially in my school, are just retaking all the time, sometimes the same module 4 times. And nomatter how hard they try, they keep getting low grades, partly because they have so much to revise for.
    For me and most people I was assessed in year 9 for SATs, yr 10 for mock GCSEs, yr 11 for GCSEs, year 12 january and summer for ASs, and yr 13 january and summer for A2s. It means im spending time revising while also trying to learn new stuff which just doesnt work and then we waste weeks on study leave. We never finished our chemistry Alevel because we didnt have time, so Ive had to learn the rest in the few weeks of study leave when i should be revising for everything else. The fault of this though is not all about exams, mainly our teacher not planning and us, the pupils.
    Does anyone agree with me?
    You do have a point. Perhaps each candidate should only be allowed to resit a module once before discarding all previous module results in that subject.
    I wouldn't trust my teachers to prepare me for an exam though.
    Also, don't forget you have at least another 3 or 4 years of examinations yet, and if you want to get into something like accountancy, actuary work or a phd there'll be more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Also, don't forget you have at least another 3 or 4 years of examinations yet, and if you want to get into something like accountancy, actuary work or a phd there'll be more
    I know and Ive always thought that "actuarying" would be something that I could do and you get alot of money. But alot of people say that its really boring and I can understand them if youve got to do exams for 7 years i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melbourne)
    1) the units are:

C1,2,3,4
    FP1,2,3
    M1,2,3,4,5
    S1,2,3
    D1,2

but the silly thing is that for the Pure Maths syllabus you only have to take C 1,2,3,4, FP 1 and 2 or FP 1 and 3. Which is SILLY as obviously people will choose just FP 1 and 2, rather than doing 3.

DUH.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.