UKMT Maths Senior Challenge - how to prepare? Watch

refref
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Robbie10538)
Hurray! I ended up e-mailing the maths head of department I know from another school and can sit the test there.
How do you know the maths head of department from another school? :p:
Small123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does anyone know what time the exam is?
Robbie10538
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by refref)
How do you know the maths head of department from another school? :p:
I did a couple of maths courses he did at the school (run by the f. maths network). I will just have an extra hour travelling on thursday!
namedeprived
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I hope our school has entered us, though for some reason I don't think they have, our teacher hasn't mentioned it. We've done the Junior and Intermediate (I'm hoping to improve on getting Bronze in both :lol:) one before though so I don't see why they wouldn't have...
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Small123)
Does anyone know what time the exam is?
This. Is everyone at the same time?
Small123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
This. Is everyone at the same time?
I asked at school today and I'm taking it at 11am.
refref
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ours is at 11:20
the stute
Report 9 years ago
Is the maths challenge a basis of mathmatical intelligence?

I never do well in in it (always get silvers), yet I'm always top of my year in maths
jakash
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good luck in the SMC tomorrow everyone! :woo:
(Bursting to talk about the oxford admissions test today but just about managing to hold back :p: )...
My last bit of advice is to get a good nights sleep tonight - but I suppose going out to a mates to watch the Liv'pool match tonight, along with a healthy serving of half-priced Dominoes(!) has thrown that idea out of the window! :eek3:

(Original post by the stute)

I never do well in in it (always get silvers), yet I'm always top of my year in maths
There is a never ending debate on this, the last thread on it all was here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1040002

Oh and my college is starting it at 9am tomorrow I think... going by the fact that they've told us to get there by 8:50 :dontknow:

Seeing as a lot of us seem to doing it at different times, does that mean we're not really given a specified time? i.e. our schools must have just been told to give us a paper in the morning? :rolleyes:
And when did our schools recieve the actual paper? One of our teachers, who is really keen on this kind of thing, told us that he had already done our paper, and checked the answers (he said he had got 107 btw :eek: ), and he isn't the kind of person to lie.

Does this mean our papers for tommorrow have been sitting in our college for a week or so? :woo:
Small123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

It's a different kind of maths to A level really.
aeiou81
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Not exactly, it tests logic and skill more than mathematical knowledge but don't be disheartened - some of the best people in my school don't do well at all

I'm sitting it at 9am tomorrow
Small123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Since the schools choose the time of the challenge what does this mean about the allowed time to discuss the challenge?
aeiou81
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Since the schools choose the time of the challenge what does this mean about the allowed time to discuss the challenge?
British citizens all over the world sit these exams and they choose the time though it has to be the right day, so I'm not really sure. Latest it'll be is 12pm Friday I think but obviously check posts in this thread or in the maths forum for the actual time.

Good luck everyone!
Small123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aeiou81)
British citizens all over the world sit these exams and they choose the time though it has to be the right day, so I'm not really sure. Latest it'll be is 12pm Friday I think but obviously check posts in this thread or in the maths forum for the actual time.

Good luck everyone!
Did you mean thursday or are some people sitting it on friday as well?
aeiou81
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Did you mean thursday or are some people sitting it on friday as well?
I mean Thursday, but obviously by the time it's midnight Thursday in some parts of the world it'll be midday Friday over here
Small123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aeiou81)
I mean Thursday, but obviously by the time it's midnight Thursday in some parts of the world it'll be midday Friday over here
Oooooh I see. Sorry I kinda skimmed your post so missed that part :o:.
jakash
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does anyone know when our school receives the papers? Because my teacher claims to have already sat the senior challenge we are going to do tomorrow, and he says he has marked his and all. I remember last year, right after the challenge, there was an official answer paper (with sort-of worked solutions) floating around the class, literally minutes after we came out. Anyone know anything about this?
Simba
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jakash)
i.e. our schools must have just been told to give us a paper in the morning? :rolleyes:
It's not even that specific; schools are just instructed to get the students to sit the paper on the correct day (morning or afternoon).

(Original post by jakash)
Does anyone know when our school receives the papers? Because my teacher claims to have already sat the senior challenge we are going to do tomorrow, and he says he has marked his and all. I remember last year, right after the challenge, there was an official answer paper (with sort-of worked solutions) floating around the class, literally minutes after we came out. Anyone know anything about this?
They receive the papers a week or more in advance usually.
tiny hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The school gets the solution leaflets with the papers. Until the last three years or so, all of the SMC papers were marked by schools (in the same way as Chemistry Olympiad papers are, but much easier because it's multiple choice).
JAKstriked
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GHOSH-5)
I think my school are having it started around 9:30. [disclaimer, lest anyone mindlessly ask: no, I shall not post the questions/answers on TSR so you can do really well.]
how about if I use this face? :puppyeyes:

I have to take it after school, I envy anyone missing lessons to take it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (351)
30.6%
The paper was reasonable (460)
40.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (197)
17.18%
It was TERRIBLE (139)
12.12%

Watched Threads