Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing this tomorrow?

Anyone want to moan with me about it?

I have done terribly in my essays this year, and tomorrow will be no exception. I got an A last year and an A in my A2 coursework, but for these modules I just can't do it.

I've done some notes on context and stuff, but I have no motivation to actually do any work on it right now.

Anyone else in the same boat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiley_Me)
    Is anyone doing this tomorrow?

Anyone want to moan with me about it?

I have done terribly in my essays this year, and tomorrow will be no exception. I got an A last year and an A in my A2 coursework, but for these modules I just can't do it.

I've done some notes on context and stuff, but I have no motivation to actually do any work on it right now.

Anyone else in the same boat?
    Hey . I made a thread on this earlier but no-one replied . I'm not feeling too confident either. I havent read translations for about a year and I still don't understand half the poems! I just hop ballads come up, they're the only ones I can do .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Hey . I made a thread on this earlier but no-one replied . I'm not feeling too confident either. I havent read translations for about a year and I still don't understand half the poems! I just hop ballads come up, they're the only ones I can do .
    I seem to remember you PM'd me about this. I swear it's only you and me who are doing this exam hehe.

I need to read through Translations again, but it's not that long I suppose.

If 18th Century poetry comes up I am doomed. Pope eurgh!

Ballads would be okay if I had some decent notes on some of the ballads themselves. I don't have many at all.

I haven't done enough practice on essays either, so it's gonna be luck on the day I think.

I don't understand the poems either. I can see myself writing a load of worthless rubbish. I hope it goes well though cos I really want a B in English.

Need 87 UMS marks from both this exam and Genre Studies next week.

Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    I seem to remember you PM'd me about this. I swear it's only you and me who are doing this exam hehe.

I need to read through Translations again, but it's not that long I suppose.

If 18th Century poetry comes up I am doomed. Pope eurgh!

Ballads would be okay if I had some decent notes on some of the ballads themselves. I don't have many at all.

I haven't done enough practice on essays either, so it's gonna be luck on the day I think.

I don't understand the poems either. I can see myself writing a load of worthless rubbish. I hope it goes well though cos I really want a B in English.

Need 87 UMS marks from both this exam and Genre Studies next week.

Good luck x
    I need to get an A for uni :s:. That should be fun.

Yeah, I did PM you. Why is no-one else doing this exam?! If a question on Pope comes up, I'm doing the other one. No matter what it is. That is the most horrible poem in the world!

We've done a few Translations essays so I'm not feeling too bad about that. I'm going through it now, annotating it from the Yorke Notes I have.

Not looking forward to the synoptic either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I need to get an A for uni :s:. That should be fun.

Yeah, I did PM you. Why is no-one else doing this exam?! If a question on Pope comes up, I'm doing the other one. No matter what it is. That is the most horrible poem in the world!

We've done a few Translations essays so I'm not feeling too bad about that. I'm going through it now, annotating it from the Yorke Notes I have.

Not looking forward to the synoptic either!
    I'm sure you will be okay. You got an A last year didn't you? Well you will already have a pretty decent set of marks in the bag anyway.

No one is doing this exam, even my college don't teach it anymore, we are the last year to do it.

I refuse to do Pope, and I don't want a question on love either. Everyone says that is a really good question, but it's not. In fact I dunno what question I'd want, as I don't know the poems really.

I know Translations better, I just hope it goes okay, I really do.

The synoptic will be hell, guaranteed.

In this exam you have to write a load on context as well, which will give you marks I suppose won't it? I'm just no good at A2 English. I can't seem to structure essays right.

I know for poetry you have to compare and contrast, but what do you have to do in a Translations essay? I wanted to see an A grade essay, but my teacher never gave me one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you will be okay. You got an A last year didn't you? Well you will already have a pretty decent set of marks in the bag anyway.

No one is doing this exam, even my college don't teach it anymore, we are the last year to do it.

I refuse to do Pope, and I don't want a question on love either. Everyone says that is a really good question, but it's not. In fact I dunno what question I'd want, as I don't know the poems really.

I know Translations better, I just hope it goes okay, I really do.

The synoptic will be hell, guaranteed.

In this exam you have to write a load on context as well, which will give you marks I suppose won't it? I'm just no good at A2 English. I can't seem to structure essays right.

I know for poetry you have to compare and contrast, but what do you have to do in a Translations essay? I wanted to see an A grade essay, but my teacher never gave me one.
    Hopefully it'll be a nice translations essay, on quite a general theme. I've gotten an A in one practise essay this year, and B's in most the others. I try to put some context in the opening paragraph, and then refer to what is revelent as I'm writing the essay. Depending on the question, try to get something in there about hedge-schools, the ordnance survey, or the potato blight. Those are all major historical issues and the examiners will like to hear about them!

I'm only ever done one poetry essay which is quite worrying. I think as long as you pick out literary devices and comment on structure you should be fine. I dunno :s:. What kinda things do you put in poetry essays?

ReputationRep:
    How did it go?

The poetry question I thought was okay. I did the one on 'love and loss'.

The Translations questions were AWFUL. I didn't know what to write for either of them, and ended up blagging about random stuff that didn't even relate to the question (I did the second one) and I know I have done terribly on it, I know. I barely mentioned anything on context, I kept repeating myself, and in the end I rushed it. I just wanted to get out of there.

I can kiss goodbye a decent grade in English, as Genre Studies will be worse.

Hope it went better for you x

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused.. you must do a different exam board to me: I only had one poem that I could analyse, no choice and the other question was a synoptic question with 'The Tempest'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naystar)
    I'm confused.. you must do a different exam board to me: I only had one poem that I could analyse, no choice and the other question was a synoptic question with 'The Tempest'.
    Yeah I seem to remember having this conversation. It seems there only two people on TSR who actually do the exam board that I do.

Hope your exam went well though x

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.