The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Philosophy over class civ any day. Although classics is actually quite tricky to get your head round, if it's the respectability of the course you're worried about philosophy is far superior imo.
I got offered places at the LSE and Oxford with philosophy as one of my A levels, if that's any indication. It certainly wasn't listed as a 'we don't count this' subject for any of the courses I applied to.
Hope that helps,
skevvybritt x
Reply 2
Very respecatable. Useful if you go on to do either Arts or Science related subjects and teaches you to write well and present ideas clearly. Unless you are planning on doing something specific (like definitely a Science at uni or post A-level) in which case do subjects related to that, philosophy is one of the best all round subjects. And it's damn good fun.
Reply 3
HEY,
I am a student who has just studied religious studies at full ALevel, i think you should definetly do AS r.s simply because first it's an essay based subject which is highly regarded, although that doesn't mean other subjects like science are useless, as i am doing a Science too. ALso R.S is mainly to do with logic,which is really good, and it teaches you very good essay skills, i learnt more about essay skills in R.S then in my Alevel English Literature! :eek: !! AS r.s well easssssy trust me, :biggrin: i'm sure many will agrree with me there and lastly its real fun and interesting, lol u get so into it. Definetly go for it!!!! :smile:
I agree, i think philosophy is more useful than English Lit when it comes to developing essential skills of critical thinking and organising coherent essays. I got offers from really good unis with philosophy as part of my offer. Enough said

Steve
Reply 5
The actual Philosophy A-levels (involving either religion/ethics, a set text (plato/descartes/hegel?/satre, theory of knowledge) tends to be more respected than the RS a-level which takes two years to deal with the religious/ethics stuff that you cover in one year with the philosophy.
Reply 6
I have just finished religious studies a level (philosophy and hinduism) and I would really recomenned it, I have definately enjoyed it more than my other subjects and I got 5 good uni offers (grrr bristol!)
philosophy is definitely respected with unis if thats what your aiming for, I did AS and A2 and I loved it.
Reply 8
They don't do Philosophy A-level at my college, so I'm doing Philosophy of Religion, whatever that is. I think it's more philosophical and to do with ethics and morality and God and stuff.
Reply 9
FarnhamBoy
They don't do Philosophy A-level at my college, so I'm doing Philosophy of Religion, whatever that is. I think it's more philosophical and to do with ethics and morality and God and stuff.

Philosophy of Religion more philosophical that Philosophy?

*coughs*

What Philosophy of Religion will actually involve is the more theological and epistimological side of thing. Looks at doctrines critically etc.

On the other matter, I should think that Philosophy is a highly respected A-level. It isn't every 16-19 year old who can get their head around such issues...
Reply 10
Well, I do Religious Studies and Classical Civilisation and I completely disagree with everyone else...

Classical Civ is so immensely popular with the top, redbrick universities - Warwick, Durham, Oxbridge, (it's a nice old boys subject like Latin or History) and there is a lot more to grasp than English Literature and Religious Studies combined.

In my Classical Civ course, I have to know 8 plays [4 for AS], 2 novels [1 for AS], 3 architectural sites [2 for AS], including buildings contained and, (the three worst) 14 black figure, 17 red figure vases [AS only] and 68 pieces of sculpture [A2 only]. All the art/architecture has names, dates, uses sculptors and museums to remember.

And Religious Studies is seen as a doss subject, even though we know it isn't. Philosophy isn't seen as such, but is generally much easier than Classical Civ.

So Classical Civ all the way, although it's a subject that you can only do greatly in if you truly immerse yourself in it, which is why most people who do Classical Civ go on to do degrees in it. (I'm the exception that proves the rule)
Reply 11
How can you criticise Philosophy A-level if you don't do it?

I don't do either Classical Civilisation or Religious Studies, but have mates who do both of them. I think that those two subjects are both, from what I've heard, fiendishly difficult at A2, but so is Philosophy.

With AQA, I wrote 4000 words on Karl Marx and J. S. Mill on the issue of progress, something that is more akin to the sort of stuff you'd be set at degree level. All this in four hours, under exam conditions, with only a single page of notes. It's hardly easy.
Reply 12
Thanks for the feedback guys, i think i'll plump for classical civilisation. :smile: