Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1) Explain in terms of electronic configurations why Fe2+ ions are readily oxidised to Fe3+ ions, but Mn2+ ions are not readily oxidised to Mn2+.

2) Cobalt forms a complex compund of formula [Co(NH3)4Cl2]+Cl-
    i) What is the oxidation state of cobalt in this compund?
    ii) Give the name of the complex ion in this compund ( [Co(NH3)4Cl2]+ )
    iii) How many moles of silver chloride would be immediately precipitated from one mole of this compound in aqeous solution by the addition of excess silver nitrate?

Thankz in advance :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    1. Fe2+ ion had 6 3d electrons, Fe3+ has 5, 5 is very stable because it is completely half filled. I think you typed out the second sentence, but it also has to do with the stability of the ions formed.

2. (i) 3+, as the NH3s are neutral and each Cl- is a -1, and the overall is +1.
    (ii) tetraamminedichlorocobalt(III)
    (iii) immediately, onle one mole, the Cl- ionically bonded to the ion. one more of Cl- precipitates one mole of AgCl with excess silver ions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    1. Fe2+ ion had 6 3d electrons, Fe3+ has 5, 5 is very stable because it is completely half filled. I think you typed out the second sentence, but it also has to do with the stability of the ions formed.
    I presume you mean the d shell. The reason why it is the more stable is you have no pairs of electrons in the 3d shell, hence the energy is lowered because there is no electron repulsion.

ReputationRep:
    thankz i gets it!!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=mik1w]1.
    (ii) tetraamminedichlorocobalt(III)
    QUOTE]

aint that a mouthfulll.lol

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.