Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in quite urgent need of help with this. Please could somebody explain this concept and give poems with examples of it? Thankyou so so so very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keats)
    [...]it struck me what quality went to form a Man of Achievement, especially in Literature, and which Shakespeare possessed so enormously - I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason-Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. This pursued through volumes would perhaps take us no further than this, that with a great poet the sense of Beauty overcomes every other consideration, or rather obliterates all consideration.
    I read this just the other day somewhere (I believe he wrote it in a letter to his brother). I think it's not really a tangible concept as such. It's to do with whether a writer is able to subliminate any desire for reason or rationality in favour of the imagination and other less empirical feelings (note "feelings" rather than thoughts).

In the essay I read on this he Keats was said to have talked of "essential beauty". Essential in the sense of essential to life and I suppose essential to the poet.

It's hard to fully explain as it is an intangible concept about an intangible way of writing poetry or rather opening one's heart to such "uncertainties, mysteries, doubts."

ReputationRep:
    Vinny221 has just answered your question in another post: - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t124066.html and sums it up quite nicely.

ReputationRep:
    The concept is simple once you get your head around it. Basically it is the ability to live surronded my mysetrious and contridictions and not always try to achieve some some of conclusion, or think about them too rationally. Thats the way i understand it. For example, keats poems started off where Keats was constantly trying to come to terms with expierences and thinking of them rationally, and always trying to come to terms with the supernatural etc, for example he celebrates contridictions and mysteries and worries in Bright Star where he wishes that he was 'as steadfast and unchangeable' as the Bright star which is traditionally a image of permanance. Ode to a Grecian Urn however is where he debates permanance and immortality until he thinks about it rationally and concludes that infact the urn is a 'Cold Pastrol!' because it cannot expierence the fullfilment of life and therefore it is 'still' and deathlike. In keats later works he is always seeking comfort in certain things and thinks of things more logically perhaps after the deaths of loved ones and the realisation of his early death. I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Also appears in the lyrical poems, such as Lamia (Lamia and Lycius's fairy-tale relationship vs. Apollonius's doubts), Eve of St. Agnes (does Porphyro actually appear in Madeline's room, or is it all a dream?), La Belle Dame sans Merci (again, dream or reality?).

ReputationRep:
    so could i turn it into imagination v reality? Also, is this likely to come u as a question or is it too abstract as a concept?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endymion)
    Vinny221 has just answered your question in another post: - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t124066.html and sums it up quite nicely.
    haha thanks! shame ill not be able to write like that tomorrow!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.