Turn on thread page Beta

shakespeare study watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i being a fresh out of high school member was suddenly struck with the thought that this forum has many exulted members from nowhere even remotely near my current residence, so i felt the need to ask how many fellow members also studyed shakespeare? i myself studied many plays during my previous education including King Lear, A Mid-Summer Nights Dream, The Merchant of Venice, Othello etc. i have myself also found interest in reading my favourite, Hamlet. so to put it to the rest of the well educated minds out there, who else has actually found pleasure in studying shakespeare and even furthered thier reading as i did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snow_white)
    i being a fresh out of high school member was suddenly struck with the thought that this forum has many exulted members from nowhere even remotely near my current residence, so i felt the need to ask how many fellow members also studyed shakespeare? i myself studied many plays during my previous education including King Lear, A Mid-Summer Nights Dream, The Merchant of Venice, Othello etc. i have myself also found interest in reading my favourite, Hamlet. so to put it to the rest of the well educated minds out there, who else has actually found pleasure in studying shakespeare and even furthered thier reading as i did?
    Me. Shakespeare is my passion and probably the main reason i've applied to do English at uni. A MND is my favourite.

ReputationRep:
    Shakespeare... argh. Over hyped to the extreme don't you think??? Then again who am I to say anything. I've often been on the razzle and started quoting some of the best lines with friends who also got forced to study his works. Julius Caesar and Richard the 3rd I enjoyed though, oh and Hamlet. "Alas poor Yorick"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Shakespeare... argh. Over hyped to the extreme don't you think???
    No. A lot of people say that who don't know enough about it. (i don't specifically mean you). It's the same with classical music, people say it's overrated cos they don't know anything about it. Shakespeare was teh master at writing plays, without him, the whole history of literature from the late 1500s onwards would have been completely different. His sonnets are also just incredible. I went to see this guy at the Edinburgh Festival who had been studying them for 12 years and knew them off by heart, and just listening to what he knew about them was mind blowing. Check out Shakespeare's word play, he was just a genius.

PS. This guy's web site is iloveshakespeare.com

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed shakespeare in some plays (Macbeth / Winters Tale / Tempest / Othello ) However, in Cymberline, i couldn't wait for it to end! Such a terrible play!

He was greater writer, but i do feel in parts he is over hyped.
    Today after having some breadth (although not massive I know) of different playwrights / poets, I would not put shakespeare top of the list

I think Beckett / Stoppard are better playwrights, mainly due to the issues they deal with and the way ist presented in theatre.
    Also, he wasn't ever my favourite sonnet writer, i tend to preffer the stuff of Donne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    I enjoyed shakespeare in some plays (Macbeth / Winters Tale / Tempest / Othello ) However, in Cymberline, i couldn't wait for it to end! Such a terrible play!

Today after having some breadth (although not massive I know) of different playwrights / poets, I would not put shakespeare top of the list

I think Beckett / Stoppard are better playwrights, mainly due to the issues they deal with and the way ist presented in theatre.
    Also, he wasn't ever my favourite sonnet writer, i tend to preffer the stuff of Donne.
    Kyd was also great - from The Spanish Tragedy came the Kydian formula (also based on Seneca), which Shakespeare used when writing Hamlet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)

Good to know people out there know of Donne. His work is something I quite enjoy, although it should be noted that Donne was one of Shakespeare's biggest advocates, despite living a fair while after ole Shakespeare.
    serendipity: I was a bit over zealous with the term over hyped I agree, but it wasn't that far off. However you saying that it is most often said by people who don't know much about a topic is spot on. I know my Shakespeare, don't worry about that, but don't you just hate it when people are so dismissive about some things simply because they know nothing about it, or don't understand it?

ReputationRep:
    after reading the Duchess of Malfi by John Webster (one of Shakespeare's contemporaries) it made me realise just how good Shakespeare actually was . My favorite Shakespeare plays are 12th night, A midsummer nights dream and romeo and Juliet. I think writing my AS coursework on Hamlet put me off the play though. Its really strange because some books i grow to love after studying them and with others, studying them makes me hate them. Eg, i burnt my copy of Lord of the flies after my GCSE exam because i hated it with a brning passion. :0)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emom100)
    after reading the Duchess of Malfi by John Webster (one of Shakespeare's contemporaries) it made me realise just how good Shakespeare actually was . My favorite Shakespeare plays are 12th night, A midsummer nights dream and romeo and Juliet. I think writing my AS coursework on Hamlet put me off the play though. Its really strange because some books i grow to love after studying them and with others, studying them makes me hate them. Eg, i burnt my copy of Lord of the flies after my GCSE exam because i hated it with a brning passion. :0)
    Wow. I've never seen such a passion with literature before. Even if it was in the negative aspect. I must congratulate you. That is brilliant, a little strange a possibly psychotic, but brilliant all the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Good to know people out there know of Donne. His work is something I quite enjoy, although it should be noted that Donne was one of Shakespeare's biggest advocates, despite living a fair while after ole Shakespeare.
    serendipity: I was a bit over zealous with the term over hyped I agree, but it wasn't that far off. However you saying that it is most often said by people who don't know much about a topic is spot on. I know my Shakespeare, don't worry about that, but don't you just hate it when people are so dismissive about some things simply because they know nothing about it, or don't understand it?
    Yeah, theres no denying that shakespeare had alot of influence, and should be praised to bringing something more to poetry/literature.

Donne is great, admittedly I have only studided a small selection (5/6) of his works, but jusr reading the rest was amazing. Death be not proud is possibly my favourite sonnet (well it is right now!), although I still wonder about the ending..hmmm

I'm studying TS Eliot for AS right now and its really interesting to view it against the older writers, i think i am enjoying it alot more.

Back on shakespeare, I think sometimes reading and studying the play does ruin it in my case Cymberline, it is something for theatre, not study.

ReputationRep:
    T.S. Elliot... Good stuff. I've only read his works on 'Cats', don't know if he did anything else to be honest. Just loved 'Cats', the theatre production is marvellous.

ReputationRep:
    Sire, run to google and go read the wasteland!! at once! go child go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Sire, run to google and go read the wasteland!! at once! go child go!
    On my way boss

ReputationRep:
    I love Shakespeare - It's one of my favourite aspects of Literature (Though my real passion is 20th century American lit. ) and seeing his plays performed on stage is fantastic.

Don't think I can pick a favourite - close runners would be: Much Ado About Nothing, King Lear, Romeo and Juliet & The Merchant of Venice... I love all of them though (having ploughed through a complete works volume :rolleyes: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acid_Rain)
    I love Shakespeare - It's one of my favourite aspects of Literature (Though my real passion is 20th century American lit. ) and seeing his plays performed on stage is fantastic.

Don't think I can pick a favourite - close runners would be: Much Ado About Nothing, King Lear, Romeo and Juliet & The Merchant of Venice... I love all of them though (having ploughed through a complete works volume :rolleyes: ).
    Anything like Virginia Wolfe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Anything like Virginia Wolfe?
    I've read "To the Lighthouse" - I found it a rewarding read, though the "stream of conciousness" technique makes reading hard going and a little tedious.

American drama is more my thing - Arthur Miller, Tennessee Williams etc. I'm also a big fan of Mark Twain (although he was writing in the late nineteenth century).

ReputationRep:
    My favorite Shakespeare work is Romeo and Juliet. we had to read the play, watch the movie, and do a report on Shakespeare in the 9th grade. i admit that i haven't read many of his works but Romeo and Juliet was one of my favorites.

ReputationRep:
    yeah shakespeare woooooooooooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic101)
    My favorite Shakespeare work is Romeo and Juliet. we had to read the play, watch the movie, and do a report on Shakespeare in the 9th grade. i admit that i haven't read many of his works but Romeo and Juliet was one of my favorites.
    King Lear is by far the best Shakespeare play. My sixth form is doing a production of it, and I am playing the role of Edmund. The characters are incredibly deep, and the whole sub-plot (a novel idea in Shakespeare's works) really makes the play stand out.

I notice that most of the people on this thread are talking about various works of Shakespeare that they've read in school, but you can never really judge one of his plays until you've seen them performed.

ReputationRep:
    i realise the depth of shakespeare would come alive and dance in front of your eyes and really pull you and make you fell like you are liveing the tradegy if you saw a live production. i only recently studied King Lear, and every production we were forced to watch made me dislike the play more and more i found myself bloking the small class room and drawing back to the play we were given in written form. Ones own imagination gave me far more pleasure in the play then viewimg an awful production of it, i learned to love the play the good way, i constantly quote many of the characters and i just loved the tradgedy, i read the book at least four times. nice work mr_white.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.