Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Possible? I'm undecided over which subject to drop. I like all my lessons so would prefer not to drop any. I was just wondering what people's experiences where of taking 5 A2's which have lots of coursework/further reading elements (including General Studies which I intend not to revise for)? Will I have too much work on, bearing in mind that I work one day of the weekend for ten hours and occasionally like to work one night a week. I also like to go out socially one night a week and don't like spending one of my days off studying fully.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Possible? I'm undecided over which subject to drop. I like all my lessons so would prefer not to drop any. I was just wondering what people's experiences where of taking 5 A2's which have lots of coursework/further reading elements (including General Studies which I intend not to revise for)? Will I have too much work on, bearing in mind that I work one day of the weekend for ten hours and occasionally like to work one night a week. I also like to go out socially one night a week and don't like spending one of my days off studying fully.

Thanks.
    If you don't mind me asking, what are your subjects? I think that if you are prepared enough, and accept the workload, then there is no reason why you couldn't do 5 A2's. It would certainly make you stand out from a mass of candidates who take 3 or 4! But, you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot by taking on more than you can handle and so potentially lowering your grades in some subjects. Having said that, you can always drop one if the workload proves too much. you say that you like all your lessons...well, that ultimately is the most important thing. It's when you stop enjoying lessons and see the workload as a chore that the real danger appears.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose

ReputationRep:
    I do 5. Don't do it. Aside from the whole not having any free periods thing, you explode come exam time, just like I'm doing now

ReputationRep:
    Oh God I would just have a mental collapse if I did 5. I couldn't be bothered, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and if it isn't enough to put you off, I've already done 9 exams, and I still have 7 left to do. My exams don't end until the 2nd of July, and I had my first ones in May :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Oh, and if it isn't enough to put you off, I've already done 9 exams, and I still have 7 left to do. My exams don't end until the 2nd of July, and I had my first ones in May :s:

I have one exam left at AS-level and I have already sat twenty between March and now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnStuartMill)
    I have one exam left at AS-level and I have already sat twenty between March and now.
    So you do 7 AS levels then?

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    erm...you can take 5 if you want if you like handling the extra workload :confused: dunno why you would want to put yourself through that but anyway lol University specifies three A2's for entry, so there is no need to put yourself through the extra stress when it's unneccessary and time consuming. I was also doing 2 sets of coursework at the same time and found it quite hard, but i managed it. But imagine doing three pieces of coursework all at the same time- could you handle it?
    You need to have a bit of a social life! I find doing 4 subjects (including general) was quite tough in itself as the workload is quite intense and you definately feel it when it gets to revision i can tell you! But it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if all 5 would be put forward as points for uni?If so then as long as you got a basicly good grade then it would help. For example rather than getting 3 B's you could get away with 5 D's. In one way it would be easier as you could just skip any of the A and B syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on doing 4 A2s, excluding General Studies as my school doesn't offer that and I'm also a bit worried about the workload given that my subjects are French, English lit, history and sociology. Lots of wider reading, essays, coursework, vocabulary and grammar- nice! Like you though, I enjoy all of my subjects and don't want to drop anything, so I plan to carry them all on to start with and then drop one after a while if it's too much. I suggest you do the same.

To the person who asked whether 5 A-levels would all count towards UCAS points, I see no reason why they wouldn't as long as the offer didn't specify 'so many points from 3 A2s', but in any case, the top universities tend to use grades rather than points.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that a good advice... do them all at the start.. and see .. how u manage... then drop which ever u want to..

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    I wouldn't do 5 A2's as it will be too much no matter subjects you take. I would do 3-4 A2's instead. It will be too much work for you. Most uni's will want 3 A2's or 3A2's and 1 AS. In General Studies, you can't revise for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah234)
    Does anyone know if all 5 would be put forward as points for uni?If so then as long as you got a basicly good grade then it would help. For example rather than getting 3 B's you could get away with 5 D's. In one way it would be easier as you could just skip any of the A and B syllabus.
    But courses ask for certain grades don't they? So if they ask for BBC for example... and you got 5 D's at A-level, you'd be screwed.

ReputationRep:
    If you really enjoy the subjects do them, it's only like having a hobby. But if you find them hard and difficult to do them to the depth you know you can, drop one or two.

Presumably with the ability and motivation to do 5 you will be aiming at a top uni. Don't risk your place. I know several who were doing 4 well and have backpedalled on the one not needed for their offer just so they can stay focussed.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I do 5 A2's, and there are very definite good and bad points.
    If you do all humanities like myself, it's quite frankly hellish. I get 5 essays a week to do, which does take it out of you.
    Your exams will all be bunched together - I've been doing my A2 exams since the 14th June without one day's rest and finish on the 30th.
    And also, it can lead to being overstretched - AAA truly is better than AABB.

On the other hand, it does make your UCAS form look amazing. Whilst it is true that your offer will be based on three, the univeristy will be impressed that you're doing five anyway.
    Then of course, there's the fact that you can comfortably afford not to do great in one of your exams. As your offer is based on three A levels. This security does take the pressure off, and I feel does make you perform better.
    General Studies is a complete doss off, but is nevertheless an acheivement to get an A; it's only really useful if you just miss your entry grades and then get an A in it - it can be a deciding factor, and needs no revision or classes to be honest, just genral knowledge.
    It also makes your CV look good in later life, when you always put down your A levels and degree. Listing 5 is better than 3, obviously.
    Plus, so long as you don't cheat to get five (I'm talking Maths and Further Maths here...) you get alot of recognition for doing actually different subjects. Even some universities refuse to see the two maths exams as slightly different (my opinion is that FM should be like an extra 3 units, not 6), which won't happen with unrelated subjects.

If you think you can handle it, go for it, but the reason that most people who do it get straight A's, is because ultimately (without sounding really up my own), the school cares most about results and if you even look like risking a possible fail, they may not let you even try.

ReputationRep:
    Be careful about starting and planning to drop...
    I did... i'm still doing German

ReputationRep:
    I totally do NOT recommend doing 5 A2s. I got 6As at AS Level and it didnt make a difference in oxbridge (still got rejected by cambridge). I don't think its a good idea at all.. I'm basically in same position as Ellie 4. Only do it if ur taking dos subjects. I'm doing Maths/Further Maths/Chemistry/Economics/Spanish and likewise i have 22 exams this year which started in mid may and continue till 1st july. Remember you will want to do retakes too and theyre a ***** cos u focus too much on them and ignore the more important A2 exams which come at the end.

ReputationRep:
    hey diachrom, english lit, history, ancient history and RE are all the same thing in my book, I call the subject 'analyse and evaluate this source without any originality or imagination' :p: ...however, humanities do involve an awful lot more work and writing, and I can imagine doing 5 humanities at A2 level is pretty steep.
    I have almost finished my AS levels in 6 subjects (although 3 of them maths...which obviously doesn't count :rolleyes: ) And the work load was not overwhelming, the only tough bit was economics, loads of practice papers and notes >.<.

It really depends on the subjects you are doing, and if you are doing Science based subjects, how good you are at them..

ReputationRep:
    You might as well start the A2 courses for each subject and then at least you can drop them part way through. I started off carrying all my subjects onto A2, but by October half term I absolutely hated the course content of English Language, so I dropped it. If I had had to choose just a few weeks earlier then I would've dropped biology. Annoying this is that my English teacher was ultra-confident I would get a A for A-level, and I am heading for a B in biology. Never mind, I probably would've mucked up English this year because it was so boring. So, yeah, course content matters!

ReputationRep:
    hey diachrom, english lit, history, ancient history and RE are all the same thing in my book, I call the subject 'analyse and evaluate this source without any originality or imagination' ...however, humanities do involve an awful lot more work and writing, and I can imagine doing 5 humanities at A2 level is pretty steep.
    That's always the reaction you get from someone doing maths and further maths (and additional further maths - wow), especially when I say that I don't think that your maths subjects are different :p:

Of course, I totally disagree when you call them practically the same, but I suppose they do involve alot of the same skills, just as doing all sciences does, but I still give credit to those people doing them, as regardless of the combo, the workload is so very steep.

I do believe that you should try and push yourself, especially in light of what my aunt said today - 'Well, they're only A levels, you know how easy they are these days.' God, that gets me really annoyed; partially because, she at 65 obviously has sat A levels :mad: and partially because I fear she's telling the truth...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.