Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah234)
    That sounds scary!
    It does. If you are planning to do that, it's good to get a head start in the AS units during the summer (don't read them, just skim through the topics). Therefore, you would have lots of time to study the AS units until December. After the exams in January, you get 5 months to study the A2 units, which will be sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    So you do 7 AS levels then?
    Nope. Here is how they break down:

History: Three exams (well technically four as two course essays are separate)
    Politics: Three exams
    Economics: Three exams
    Maths: Four exams (took an extra module)
    Critical Thinking: Two exams
    General Studies: Six exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnStuartMill)
    Nope. Here is how they break down:

History: Three exams (well technically four as two course essays are separate)
    Politics: Three exams
    Economics: Three exams
    Maths: Four exams (took an extra module)
    Critical Thinking: Two exams
    General Studies: Six exams
    Ah ok. I don't count GS/CT exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Possible? I'm undecided over which subject to drop. I like all my lessons so would prefer not to drop any. I was just wondering what people's experiences where of taking 5 A2's which have lots of coursework/further reading elements (including General Studies which I intend not to revise for)? Will I have too much work on, bearing in mind that I work one day of the weekend for ten hours and occasionally like to work one night a week. I also like to go out socially one night a week and don't like spending one of my days off studying fully.

Thanks.
    5 is a lot of work but if your committed do it, if not, don't.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point? I do 3 plus general studies and I hate college.

ReputationRep:
    I did 3 science a levels and philosophy and politics at As,those subjects nearly killed me with work especially chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Not read the whole of this thread thoroughly so appologise if its already been mentioned, but UCAS points are sometimes not offered over 5 subjects. For example Warwick have asked me for 320 points over 4 subjects and don't count general studies as a subject. Hence I asked to be removed from the general studies exam. I now do four as it's just what I need. Basically do what you need to do and not what you feel you can do. 4 is definately enough, but if your uni accepts general studies then do the exam with no preparation, to allow for revision for your other 4.

Also depends on AS grades - I know that I had extra exams this summer to boost AS grades as they all count towards the final one, so if you have good AS grades and won't need to resit then you could potentially be less "overloaded".

ReputationRep:
    I did 6 AS levels (but one of them was General Studies, which doesn't count) and dropped to four A2s (I didn't continue with General Studies and stopped Media Studies too). To be honest, I don't remember my AS exams being more stressful because I did 6, but I think I would have found it very hard continuing with all of them to A2. There's just not enough time. However it's up to you to decide what you can handle. It depends on the subjects you choose too - some are easier than others. Good luck with deciding, anyway!

ReputationRep:
    hmm after just finishing 4 Alevels I'm not sure if I would recommend it, to be honest I think I have messed up on a few of them mainly because of the time of fitting everything in, I think i would have done better if I only concentrated on 3

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, I would take 4 A2s maximum. As has already been said, many universities only require 18 units (3 A2s). However if you really enjoy the responsiblity and the extra challange, I suggest you do 4 A2s; 5 will be unnecessarily demanding, and could adversely affect your overall grades. I would take 4 A2s to keep you challanged and motivated, however there is no need to take 5.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doin 5 A levels in total - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, French and Business and thinkin of takin critical thinkin A level instead of business A2.

Its all about time management, but general studies isn't accepted by most unis so i don't reckon it counts!!

ReputationRep:
    thats crazy! 5 A2's certainly is possible but it would be bloody hard work!!

ReputationRep:
    I took five proper A2s (English Lit, French, German, History, and Latin) as well as General Studies. I don't count General Studies as a real A level because of the laughable amount of work involved and the fact that so few universities accept it as an offer-fulfilling subject. Most universities do only ask for three A2s, but I see this as an advantage - I can worry less about not doing so well in one subject, because I know I can fail two of my A levels and still achieve my offer, making exam time rather less stressful. One of my friends, in contrast, has been working her guts out for Chemistry in order to make her offer for Eng Lit.
    My interviewers (at Oxford and UCL, the only two places which interviewed me) were all impressed by my five A2s, mentioning things like my apparent dedication, determination, time-management skills, range of interests, etc.. Of course it doesn't guarantee you a place at any university, but my only rejection, out of six applications, was from Oxford.
    I was initially planning to only take three or four A2s (excluding, of course, General Studies), but at the start of Y13 elected to continue all my courses and see how I coped with the workload. By Christmas I couldn't bear to give any of them up, and since then have been thinking of German and History (my weaker subjects) as 'just for fun'.
    My parents/teachers/friends were most concerned that I would feel too stretched and the extra subject/s would have an adverse effect on my grades. I admit that this has probably been the case and that is probably the issue to which you ought to give most thought when considering extra subjects. Having said that, my AS grades were AAABC, which fulfils most offers.
    I also had an obscene number of exams this summer - 20, of which I think five were General Studies, two were resits, and another one was an AS unit I should, in the normal order of things, have taken last year.
    Of course it's a lot of work (especially doing three lots of coursework, in three different languages, at the same time. Urgh...), but most people find A levels hard work. Not having free periods can be annoying, but I coped without them throughout the rest of school, why need I change now?
    Basically, if you think you might be able to do it, you might as well try. You can always start your courses and drop a subject if you feel it's getting to be too much, but it's much harder to get halfway through the year and think, "Actually, I could have done Chemistry...".

ReputationRep:
    OK - I did 6 AS Levels then 5 A Levels plus Critical Thinking AS, but I think we should be realistic and not count General Studies because you basically do nothing and it doesn't make the year more stressful at all!!!! Also, with Critical Thinking it depends - some schools don't really make you have lessons, but my school did, so it was some extra work (though not as much as 'proper' subjects).

So what we're really talking about is 4 A Levels. I did Maths, English Lit, Music and History, and for a lot of the time it was totally nightmarish - I often regretted it - but I know that in the long term I'll be glad because I really value learning. How corny does that sound???

Having said this, I began to hate all my friends just because they had so much more free time than me, and often I did have to sacrifice my social life, and I got barely any sleep (sometimes an average of less than 3 hours a night in a week). Also, I still got three rejections despite masses of extra-curricular activities (many related to my subject) etc etc, so I don't really believe it makes any difference to your uni application. Though it will always look good on your CV later in life.

BUT - if you truly have a dedication to your subjects, then it's worth it. In my AS year my extra subject was art - the subject with the biggest workload ever! - and I really hated myself for doing it a lot of the time, but when I opened up my results and saw that all my hard work had paid off I was just really happy....it's such a reward.

Exams are a *****, because there are so many and I find that mine are always completely clumped together, but I'm not the sort of person who revises for weeks ahead of a paper so I guess most of the time it makes little difference. Also, remember GCSEs? They had loads of exams and we all survived! Okay, so they were disgustingly easy compared to A Levels but....yeah.....

Don't forget, you can always drop one - I had a friend who did three A Levels and an AS, and she dropped the AS because of stress - but this may not work because I planned to do that myself, and when it came to it I couldn't bear letting all the work I'd done slip away! Someone earlier said that with more subjects you don't have to stress so much about doing well in ALL of them, which is DEFINITELY true. For example, I think I really messed up music this year but I have three other subjects to compensate. However, you may be a perfectionist like me, in which case you're in trouble - If I don't get the grades I want, I'm retaking regardless of whether I got into uni!

I reckon it's worth it in the long term if you don't mind torturing yourself sometimes. I do feel that it's much MUCH easier to get good grades if you have fewer subjects, because you don't rush your work as much and don't (usually) stay up in the middle of the night doing it when you're knackered (though I reckon that's my fault for being so damn disorganised really, I bet most people wouldn't have to stay up as late). But I personally know that I will always be glad that I did all my subjects.

Good luck! Have just realised that this post seems kind of negative, but remember that I don't regret it (yet - results 18th August people)!

ReputationRep:
    Yh, just did four A-levels.
    Maths, chem, bio, psych.

throughout the year my time management was fine, although found maths bio and chme taking over. and during exam time its very very tough! too many exams! i sat 19! a nightmare month, glad its all over!

i wouldnt recomend it, go for as few as possible.

i guess i'll know on august the 18th whether ill regret it or not.

ReputationRep:
    If I had my time again I wouldn't have done 5 (and that doesn't include GS or anything, or maths/further maths combos). It was hard work, and I don't know how I've done in them =/

ReputationRep:
    It all depends about what u want to do at university after u finish ur A2's.
    I was undecided and had no idea so i went for 5 AS levels which were
    maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and computing. (not including critical thinking)
    I now have a better idea of what im doing at uni and doing 5 A2 levels will be difficult and the work load will be immense.
    Pressure really comes in when its near ur exams and u have a few coursework from different subjects at the same time.
    Universities will not/slight be amazed about the number of A2 levels u do but u can only submit three. SO doing 5 a2 levels might be a waste of time. You may not the the grades u wanted to get into that uni.

So i would carry on at most 4 A2 levels.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 6 AS's and 5A2s plud AEA Critical Thinking...if anyone cares lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    :eek: How did you manage that all? I would have a nervous breakdown if I done that much! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    crazy chinese :rolleyes: - people try and avoid CT, and you are doing an AEA in it:eek: oh why oh why!? for shame! :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.