Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To whoever is saying "unis will be impressed", I do not know where you are getting your information from. I know someone who is doing 6 A levels, will probably get 6 As, and still got turned down by a couple of Unis. So how many subjects you take is not the be all and end all. Unless you are ridiculously naturally clever, stick to 4 max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    To whoever is saying "unis will be impressed", I do not know where you are getting your information from. I know someone who is doing 6 A levels, will probably get 6 As, and still got turned down by a couple of Unis. So how many subjects you take is not the be all and end all. Unless you are ridiculously naturally clever, stick to 4 max.
    yeh take this blokes advice - he's sensible...afterall this guy with 9 good A-levels got rejected from Cambridge - what is the point! a gd balance between work and social life is more important than a solid, study freak

ReputationRep:
    Unis are impressed (um...they said so. They ought to know, really). Of course impressed isn't the same as an offer - unis, especially Oxbridge and others which interview, take so many other things into account - but it can help, and (as already pointed out) there are other advantages. I did five because I was determined to do four and wasn't sure if they'd let me take Latin (it's a long story), then by the time they said I could keep the Latin, I was too much in love with my other four to let any of them go. I still managed to do most of my work, and my lack of sleep was more due to my disorganisation than a real overload of work. I had an active social life throughout my two years and have still come out (I hope...) with five good A levels. So it is possible.
    I think I would still do five if I were to start all over again. I would probably organise my time better (there was one horrendous week where I didn't sleep for three days...), but I've gained so much from all my subjects that I simply couldn't imagine missing one.

ReputationRep:
    I did 5, and most of them involved a good bit of work: English lit, History, German, Music and Biology. We don't have General Studies but we were all made to do some sort of Computers qualification instead which took up 2 periods a week for both years of 6th form. To be honest, I did hardly any work during the year. I certainly wasn't forced to stay up late on any nights and I still managed to fit in 30 hours or more of music a week. I also taught myself the AS music course in my free time and it was fine.....
    until study leave this year, when i realised I actually didn't have a clue about anything I was supposed to have learnt, and I had 22 exams ahead of me (including 2 orals and 2 music practicals). It was an utter nightmare and I really think it was an unnecessary ordeal. I got all 6 offers from good unis (Cambridge, KCL, Manchester, Durham, Edinburgh and Queens) but because of the mess I've just made of the exams it's unlikely I'll make my offer.
    Basically,my advice is to do 5 only if you are willing to put the work in throughout the year and you really like your subjects. Otherwise it's a complete waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Possible? I'm undecided over which subject to drop. I like all my lessons so would prefer not to drop any. I was just wondering what people's experiences where of taking 5 A2's which have lots of coursework/further reading elements (including General Studies which I intend not to revise for)? Will I have too much work on, bearing in mind that I work one day of the weekend for ten hours and occasionally like to work one night a week. I also like to go out socially one night a week and don't like spending one of my days off studying fully.

Thanks.
    I did 5 AS's in my first year, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. The work load was ok so i thought i could probably handle it at A2, but i knew that Uni's at most only ask for four subjects like the one i got. So i did think it was worth the risk that it would be too much and my whole range of grades could be brought down so i droped Computing. My advice would be to drop the subject that doesn't sound so good to Uni's(has the worst reputation) thats way your ucas form looks better, or pick the subject you get the worst mark in as that will improve you chances of getting good A2 grades in the other 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceberg_1)
    I did 5 AS's in my first year, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. The work load was ok so i thought i could probably handle it at A2, but i knew that Uni's at most only ask for four subjects like the one i got. So i did think it was worth the risk that it would be too much and my whole range of grades could be brought down so i droped Computing. My advice would be to drop the subject that doesn't sound so good to Uni's(has the worst reputation) thats way your ucas form looks better, or pick the subject you get the worst mark in as that will improve you chances of getting good A2 grades in the other 4.
    Damn, that 4 grade offer is harsh!

ReputationRep:
    I did art which apparently looks bad to universities and employers. I wouldn't have given it up. Many people said that I should have done something more "academic". I think that you should do what you love and love what you do. I don't see the point in doing stuff to make yourself look better than you are or to try and impress others. If you're a nice, genuine person with a degree of intelligence and are enthusiastic and enjoy doing whatever you decide to do - people will like you more for it and regard you more highly.

If you like all the subjects and think you can handle it then go for it. I wouldn't drop subjects because they have a bad repuatation. I'd drop them if I thought I'd get a bad grade. Decide with your heart and you'll lead a happy and successful life - don't try and out-think others in the world. The game's no fun that way!

ReputationRep:
    What is it with people on this forum... why do they feel the need to do as many A levels as possible. Whats wrong wth 4 AS levels and 3 A levels.

No univesity will ever ask you for more.. so why make twice as much work for yourself!? Its just stupid and pointless! It doesnt impress them any more than 3 A levels does so why do it? It seems to me like people just want to show off... "i've got 5 A levels you know"... for christ's sake get over yourselves.

ReputationRep:
    What is it with people on this forum... why do they feel the need to do as many A levels as possible. Whats wrong wth 4 AS levels and 3 A levels.
    Who ever did say there was anything entirely wrong with 3 A-levels? Well - I've not seen it if somebody has said it. The point I'm trying to make is that if somebody enjoys 5 subjects, let them do them - there's no need to criticise them. I'm doing 5 subjects purely for that reason, not to show off. And to be honest, no harm can come of doing 5 A-levels, since it's not out of the ordinary; more than 5, however, you start to look a lot like a geek :p:!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    Who ever did say there was anything entirely wrong with 3 A-levels? Well - I've not seen it if somebody has said it. The point I'm trying to make is that if somebody enjoys 5 subjects, let them do them - there's no need to criticise them. I'm doing 5 subjects purely for that reason, not to show off. And to be honest, no harm can come of doing 5 A-levels, since it's not out of the ordinary; more than 5, however, you start to look a lot like a geek :p:!
    Well i guess so... but i just see it as unecessary. I'm sure not everyone does it to show off, but i realy do believe that a large number do. Still, ts pretty pointless, and this forum seems to be saturated wih people wanting to take more than they need.

To be honest, i wouldnt take more than three A2s purely because I dont want more than a three grade offer for Uni. Much less pressure.

ReputationRep:
    I did 5 A-Levels which were sciences and maths but the workload isn't too bad, I worked hard for my AS's and so the A2's were much easier as I had enough UMS as a reserve. If you have 5 A-Levels and still have a wide range of activities then this is an advantage because admissions tutors can see that you could cope with the workload and still do other things other than work.
    My school used to make everyone do General Studies but luckily they stopped that when I took my A-Levels which was a relieve, not that I would actually sit the paper anyway....... (I heard people draw complex images (those patterns) and coloured in the paper). I wish I could have done that now...

ReputationRep:
    i think its possible but it depends on

1.if you have a good teacher or not - you will either look forward or hate going to lessons

2.if you liike the subject - you will have to put alot less effort in

3.if you pick subjects that help each other eg maths and phsyics

4.if you are dedicated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bashment)
    i think its possible but it depends on

1.if you have a good teacher or not - you will either look forward or hate going to lessons
    True, but the Biology "Faculty" in my school was crap.. so were the teachers.

2.if you liike the subject - you will have to put alot less effort in
    Thats definitely true, you will me alot more motivated.

3.if you pick subjects that help each other eg maths and phsyics
    yeah the sciences and maths complement each other really nicely... all the physics was covered in M1, M2 and M3, and Physics without Maths is a nightmare, as 2 of my friends did that and found physics very difficult.

4.if you are dedicated
    yepyep :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I do 4 'A2's --Just carry on if you like them~!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Possible? I'm undecided over which subject to drop. I like all my lessons so would prefer not to drop any. I was just wondering what people's experiences where of taking 5 A2's which have lots of coursework/further reading elements (including General Studies which I intend not to revise for)? Will I have too much work on, bearing in mind that I work one day of the weekend for ten hours and occasionally like to work one night a week. I also like to go out socially one night a week and don't like spending one of my days off studying fully.

Thanks.
    Well for a couple of months I've been doing 5 A2s plus General Studies & Key Skills. I've had only 1hr off a week, though I personally haven't found it a problem. There's just the temptation to skive, but then the thought of losing my EMA payments restrains me. I'm sure 5 subjects will become a lil tough around the exam period (as I learnt from my AS's), but if you're willing to perhaps sacrifice one subject & be happy with a C in it, I dont think it would be a problem, and you might aswell go for it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.