Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    should smoking be banned in public places/
    personally i think its a great idea as us non smokers dont want to have to breathe in other peoples smoke
    what do you all think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love_4_ducks)
    should smoking be banned in public places/
    personally i think its a great idea as us non smokers dont want to have to breathe in other peoples smoke
    what do you all think?
    Clearly it's a good idea. I don't think there can be any logically coherent argument against banning smoking in public places. If someone can find a valid argument against a public places ban, I'd love to hear it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah lets ban smokers from earth. Disgusting habit.

Then maybe we should ban drinking. Thats even worse.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think smoking should be banned in public places. The risk of contracting a cancer by passive smoking is very low, and I just think that it would lead to trouble. Stopping smoking on planes has been blamed for an increase in air rage. I don't want to press the point to strongly because I'm not actually a smoker myself but I thought it'd be good to get a debate going!

ReputationRep:
    Although i don't smoke and i dislike inhaling other peoples smoke. It's the principle, it's the government just taking away another freedom that we have. Ok so maybe now it's cigarettes, but it could be a curfew or something else. It's just going to give the government more power in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    I don't think smoking should be banned in public places. The risk of contracting a cancer by passive smoking is very low, and I just think that it would lead to trouble. Stopping smoking on planes has been blamed for an increase in air rage. I don't want to press the point to strongly because I'm not actually a smoker myself but I thought it'd be good to get a debate going!
    Who died and made you governments cheif medical officer .

I have lived with smokers before and can confirm that my health when doing so was low, frequently feeling drowsey, short of breath and generally not very well. Whilst I cannot comment as to the actual risk of getting cancer my overall wellbeing was comparativley less then now.

My clothes also reaked of the stuff which led to the effect going on long after I went outside.

Depending on which statistc you believe either one in three or one in four people get cancer throughout their lives. Is this not approx. the same number of people who actually smoke?

As for the air rage comment quite how this could be taken into serious consideration is beyond me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Although i don't smoke and i dislike inhaling other peoples smoke. It's the principle, it's the government just taking away another freedom that we have. Ok so maybe now it's cigarettes, but it could be a curfew or something else. It's just going to give the government more power in my opinion.
    At what point does someones right to smoke preceed over my right to enjoy smoke free air?

If I was to go out into the street or to a pub with a spraycan full of harmful chemicals and start dispensing the content in close proximity to others the police would be called and I would be arrested with a high chance of prosecution probably under some obscure law.

How exactly does this differ from smoking - the principal is the same as people are dispensing harmful, potentially deadly chemicals often in a confined area where they can affect others!

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is a disgusting habit and should be banned from the earth. It's a fact that more ppl die from passive smoke than acutally smoking. After I come out of a place full of smoke my eyes are blood-shot, my shoulders are stiff, my voice is husky and horrible, I feel terrible and sick, and I STINK.

Why o why do ppl get addicted....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    Smoking is a disgusting habit and should be banned from the earth. It's a fact that more ppl die from passive smoke than acutally smoking. After I come out of a place full of smoke my eyes are blood-shot, my shoulders are stiff, my voice is husky and horrible, I feel terrible and sick, and I STINK.

Why o why do ppl get addicted....
    If you take into account that amount of working days lost as a result of people feeling ill from passive smoking it probably runs into millions of pounds lost to the country!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    At what point does someones right to smoke preceed over my right to enjoy smoke free air?
    So on that note, do you advocate getting rid of buses, cars, motorbikes and aeroplanes and anything else that pollutes the air that we breathe?

ReputationRep:
    If you take into account that amount of working days lost as a result of people feeling ill from passive smoking it probably runs into millions of pounds lost to the country!

but then how many days are taken off work from alcohol? Want to ban that too?

ReputationRep:
    Let's say the world decides to ban smoking everywhere all together. Any solutions as to how we can solve the economic problems that will result from this e.g. unemployment, money from tabacco, etc.?

As I posed this question here is my answer, lol:

1) Use the land used for tobacco to grow food: allow the less economically developed countries to use the land for their own sakes: then again....the ppl who work for the tobacco countries must make more money than just working on any old field...any solutions for this?
    (I haven't come up with a solution in the end...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    So on that note, do you advocate getting rid of buses, cars, motorbikes and aeroplanes and anything else that pollutes the air that we breathe?
    The benefits of all of the above make up for the crap they chuck out.

Why do people always bring this chestnut up? Its kinda off topic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    but then how many days are taken off work from alcohol? Want to ban that too?
    I can prouldy confirm that no days whatsoever are taken off work from the effects of "passive drinking" .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    Let's say the world decides to ban smoking everywhere all together. Any solutions as to how we can solve the economic problems that will result from this e.g. unemployment, money from tabacco, etc.?
    I do not wish to ban smoking, simply allow me the opportunity to walk into a pub, have a pint and not come out smelling like an ashtray!

ReputationRep:
    I can prouldy confirm that no days whatsoever are taken off work from the effects of "passive drinking" .
    Well I obviously wasn't talking about passive drinking, unless you take a day off for being smacked in the face by a drunk. But i bet lots of days are taken off by people suffering from hangovers

ReputationRep:
    I do not wish to ban smoking, simply allow me the opportunity to walk into a pub, have a pint and not come out smelling like an ashtray!
    This a 'what if' question, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Clearly it's a good idea. I don't think there can be any logically coherent argument against banning smoking in public places. If someone can find a valid argument against a public places ban, I'd love to hear it.
    it goes against civil liberties?
    it would do serious damage to trade..?

ReputationRep:

If I was to go out into the street or to a pub with a spraycan full of harmful chemicals and start dispensing the content in close proximity to others the police would be called and I would be arrested with a high chance of prosecution probably under some obscure law.

How exactly does this differ from smoking - the principal is the same as people are dispensing harmful, potentially deadly chemicals often in a confined area where they can affect others!
    smoking is legal, harmful chemicals are not..
    you are not forced into the bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    it goes against civil liberties?
    it would do serious damage to trade..?
    Is having civil liberities worth the risk of all those deaths due to cancer?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.