Turn on thread page Beta

Public smoking is the ban right? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    the millions of pounds spent by the government, the burden on the NHS, whose 70% nightly intake is on drunken related incidents, will effect you.

why sit next to someone whos smoking?
    As I said before, sometimes we HAVE to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Interesting how the main person arguing the smokers "rights" is based in Paris / Antwerp where smoking is very much part of the culture .
    the main person?
    Belgium smokes no more than the UK, and we smoke a fraction less than the French.
    where i am has no bearing on my political beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    As I said before, sometimes we HAVE to.
    where, in the work place, on public transport, in your own home?
    i understand your point, but a total ban is a very draconian measure with serious consequences.

ReputationRep:
    the millions of pounds spent by the government, the burden on the NHS, whose 70% nightly intake is on drunken related incidents, will effect you.

why sit next to someone whos smoking?
    Again, you've missed my point. Everyone who smokes in a public place will cause adverse effects to the health of others (as long as they are in close enough proximity of course), but not everyone who drinks will end up on the NHS' door, this comes only through alcohol abuse, not from the act of drinking alcohol in itself. Responsible consumption of alcohol in a public place (or where ever) does no damage (other than possibly to the consumer), whereas smoking in a public place full stop causes damage to the health of the general public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Again, you've missed my point. Everyone who smokes in a public place will cause adverse effects to the health of others (as long as they are in close enough proximity of course), but not everyone who drinks will end up on the NHS' door, this comes only through alcohol abuse, not from the act of drinking alcohol in itself. Responsible consumption of alcohol in a public place (or where ever) does no damage (other than possibly to the consumer), whereas smoking in a public place full stop causes damage to the health of the general public.
    causes damage to the general public, or those who choose to be in the immediacy of the smoker? so if you smoke 10 feet away from me in a playing field...?

ReputationRep:
    where, in the work place, on public transport, in your own home?
    i understand your point, but a total ban is a very draconian measure with serious consequences.
    Case 1:

In the place where I have my part time job ppl there smoke like crazy. It's the only job I can do at the moment, and I have to make the money to continue going to school. Since they employed me, I have to just bear with it. Besides, I can't go around the 24 ppl or so telling them all to stop smoking.

Case 2:

At friend's house where family smokes.

Case 3:

Station. I have to stand at the very end of the platform to be in time for stuff, and that is where the smoking area is.

ReputationRep:
    Case 1:

In the place where I have my part time job ppl there smoke like crazy. It's the only job I can do at the moment, and I have to make the money to continue going to school. Since they employed me, I have to just bear with it. Besides, I can't go around the 24 ppl or so telling them all to stop smoking.
    thats a valid point. again, the government should consider the work place as being a non-smoking zone.

Case 2:

At friend's house where family smokes.
    er, its their house.

Case 3:

Station. I have to stand at the very end of the platform to be in time for stuff, and that is where the smoking area is.
    there is a seperate smoking area. dont go into it. if that means youll be late, get up earlier.

ReputationRep:
    causes damage to the general public, or those who choose to be in the immediacy of the smoker? so if you smoke 10 feet away from me in a playing field...?
    Clearly the law would not introduced with the intent of stopping people from smoking in the middle of an empty playing field where they are harming no one, but the law would have to be a blanket one covering situations like this, otherwise you'd have to set a value as the minimum distance you can be from another person to smoke in public. This is clearly not feasible. Just imagine the disputes.

ReputationRep:

er, its their house.
    yup, so it can't be helped

there is a seperate smoking area. dont go into it. if that means youll be late, get up earlier.
    I live in Japan. There is no seperate smoking area. You see, I go to acting lessons straight after school which means I finish school, take the bus, then take the train, and i'm there just in time. I can't go any earlier.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Japan. There is no seperate smoking area. You see, I go to acting lessons straight after school which means I finish school, take the bus, then take the train, and i'm there just in time. I can't go any earlier.
    you said there was a smoking area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Clearly the law would not introduced with the intent of stopping people from smoking in the middle of an empty playing field where they are harming no one, but the law would have to be a blanket one covering situations like this, otherwise you'd have to set a value as the minimum distance you can be from another person to smoke in public. This is clearly not feasible. Just imagine the disputes.
    and thats what people are against, a blanket ban.

ReputationRep:

Oooo I get what you mean now, sorry, head's not working. Here's a little diagram

+++ <--smoking area

O <---me here
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't escape from it.

ReputationRep:
    Oooo I get what you mean now, sorry, head's not working. Here's a little diagram

+++ <--smoking area

O <---me here
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't escape from it.

+++

whats wrong with here ---> 0
    ---------------------------------------------------------

ReputationRep:
    +++

whats wrong with here ---> 0
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Smoke still drifts in my direction

ReputationRep:
    i do think they should. smokin is really disgusting and even if u dont inhale other people's smoke (which its hard not to sometimes) its annoying and ppl stink and cigarette ends are ugly things lying around on the floor.

ok this is a rather controversial issue.. there are loads of reason not to but i think more people would benefit if they did.smokin isnt a good thing!!! if ppl wanna smoke go do it where no-one else is.

personally i think ppl shudnt start smokin in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Once you can smell someone's exhaled cigarette smoke it means you are inhaling it so distance does not matter, rather whether you are aware of it.
    Of course smoking in public should be banned. If smokers want to inflict all the damage that smoking causes on themselves then they should be in a confined place, where the smoke cannot excape to cause damage to others.
    I do not object to people smoking in their own homes but I do object when my neighbours go into their garden to smoke and it drifts up my nostrils into my lungs! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Once you can smell someone's exhaled cigarette smoke it means you are inhaling it so distance does not matter, rather whether you are aware of it.
    Of course smoking in public should be banned. If smokers want to inflict all the damage that smoking causes on themselves then they should be in a confined place, where the smoke cannot excape to cause damage to others.
    I do not object to people smoking in their own homes but I do object when my neighbours go into their garden to smoke and it drifts up my nostrils into my lungs! :mad:
    i think the question of a ban rests on tolerance. someone like yourself, who cant tolerate, advocate a total prohibition, including your own back garden. others like myself, would like to see other methods to sustain the rights of non-smokers and reducing the number of young smokers.

ReputationRep:
    i think the question of a ban rests on tolerance. someone like yourself, who cant tolerate, advocate a total prohibition, including your own back garden. others like myself, would like to see other methods to sustain the rights of non-smokers and reducing the number of young smokers.
    But surely that's because you are addicted. Your rights are not paramount when they infringe on the rights of others, and even less so because of the dangers of your addiction to others.
    I would not wish to see all smokers going cold-turkey at the same time as that would just be cruel. What needs to be done is to put up the price of **** prohibitively high so people are encouraged to work on their addiction. The monies resulting from the increased prices would go to the NHS to fund clinics - like 'drying out' ones for alcoholics. Smokers would not have access to their **** but would be given harmless substitues whilst they are weaned of their drugs plus counselling. They could then, when considered ready by the health professionals, be assimilated back into the care of the community.
    Don't you think that's a compassionate solution to a very desperate problem?

ReputationRep:
    I saw mention of a minimum distance between a smoker and a non-smoker. 2 metres from the bar was the rule imposed in Services Clubs here in Australia. Before they banned it to specific areas altogether. Even then those areas had either some sort of little extraction fan/exhaust fan, or the benefit of airconditioning wafting the smoke away from others. As for being outside, if you can seriously get bugged by someone standing 2 metres away from you, then you are in dire need of help. Perhaps a dulling of the nostrils or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    But surely that's because you are addicted. Your rights are not paramount when they infringe on the rights of others, and even less so because of the dangers of your addiction to others.
    I would not wish to see all smokers going cold-turkey at the same time as that would just be cruel. What needs to be done is to put up the price of **** prohibitively high so people are encouraged to work on their addiction. The monies resulting from the increased prices would go to the NHS to fund clinics - like 'drying out' ones for alcoholics. Smokers would not have access to their **** but would be given harmless substitues whilst they are weaned of their drugs plus counselling. They could then, when considered ready by the health professionals, be assimilated back into the care of the community.
    Don't you think that's a compassionate solution to a very desperate problem?
    thats not a total ban though is it. which is what im against.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.