Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Agreed, but tell me something. How many people with kids do you know that smoke, and then how many of them try to smoke outside the home, or in a separate area from their kids? You would be surprised.
    I know and see loads of parents who have children smoking in front of them, and still persist even as their children cough their lungs out! (exaggeration -but still have hacking coughs) I know there is far more awareness in Oz about smoking in front of kids but I can't say I've seen the same sense of responsibilty here. People just light up anywhere without a thought for the well-being of others. A very small minority are more civil and will ask "do you mind if I smoke" - of course I always say "yes, I do mind", but then I am protecting myself. They can go into a room of their own with doors closed and then I don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I know and see loads of parents who have children smoking in front of them, and still persist even as their children cough their lungs out! (exaggeration -but still have hacking coughs) I know there is far more awareness in Oz about smoking in front of kids but I can't say I've seen the same sense of responsibilty here. People just light up anywhere without a thought for the well-being of others. A very small minority are more civil and will ask "do you mind if I smoke" - of course I always say "yes, I do mind", but then I am protecting myself. They can go into a room of their own with doors closed and then I don't mind.
    I hate it when they ask me, cos I feel under much pressure to say 'no i dont mind' when i REALLY do mind!

ReputationRep:
    *dave*: The areas where people are allowed to smoke these days are decreasing almost daily. I agree with this. The whole 'why don't you move away concept' is virtually defunct now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I'm sorry, I didn't know things were still that bad in other countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    choose. choose not to go into that bar. choose to sit in the non-smoking area of the restaurant.
    stupid comment

i think smoking should be banned in all public buildings including pubs bars restaurants. outside in the open air well who cares. disgusting habit but a full ban is slightly worrying. Also a pack of **** should cos £30 and NHS treatments for smokers with smoking related conditions should be taken back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    stupid comment

i think smoking should be banned in all public buildings including pubs bars restaurants. outside in the open air well who cares. disgusting habit but a full ban is slightly worrying. Also a pack of **** should cos £30 and NHS treatments for smokers with smoking related conditions should be taken back.
    I was hoping this one wouldn't be started again so soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    stupid comment
    thats nice.

alot of bar owners wont ban smoking, so its upto you whether you want to go in or not. whats so unreasonable about that? the right to choose?

and what about the idea of freedom, the right to please yourself.

ReputationRep:
    In an ideal world, smoking would be banned. It doesn't really serve any purpose other than causing unpleasant coronary and lung diseases. However, this is not an ideal world. Smoking should not be banned solely due to monetary reasons. Cigarettes bring in huge amounts of money for the economy. The tax on a pack of cigarettes is enormous, and as such, if they were suddenly made illegal - everyone would have to pay much more on their taxes. As it is, I'd rather those who chose to smoke (and stand a reasonable chance of cancer) pay tax instead of me.

Far be it from me to seem mercenary and bring up money arguments when I should be pretend to be concerened about the health of the populace, but I felt it neccessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    In an ideal world, smoking would be banned. It doesn't really serve any purpose other than causing unpleasant coronary and lung diseases. However, this is not an ideal world. Smoking should not be banned solely due to monetary reasons. Cigarettes bring in huge amounts of money for the economy. The tax on a pack of cigarettes is enormous, and as such, if they were suddenly made illegal - everyone would have to pay much more on their taxes. As it is, I'd rather those who chose to smoke (and stand a reasonable chance of cancer) pay tax instead of me.

Far be it from me to seem mercenary and bring up money arguments when I should be pretend to be concerened about the health of the populace, but I felt it neccessary.
    Fair point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)

But you are a smoker Whitey - n'est ce pas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    But you are a smoker Whitey - n'est ce pas?
    dont want to get picky, but you cant really use n'est-ce pas when referring to personal attribution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    But you are a smoker Whitey
    I am?

ReputationRep:
    dont want to get picky, but you cant really use n'est-ce pas when referring to personal attribution.
    Knew I could rely on you to be 'picky' when it comes to French! Not an admonishment - rather an acceptance of superior knowledge. But only in this instance, I hasten to add

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Knew I could rely on you to be 'picky' when it comes to French! Not an admonishment - rather an acceptance of superior knowledge. But only in this instance, I hasten to add
    tant mieux.

ReputationRep:
    tant mieux.
    Je ne comprends pas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    What people dont realise is that smokers are actually helping this country. They are paying £9bn a year in cancer stick tax, while paying for the treatment of smoking related diseases is about £1.6bn. We are taking advantage of them ... its them who are gong to be paying for their healthcare anyway (in taxes from cigarettes).

However, although I don't believe in making cigarettes illegal (peoples addictions are so strong they would resort to illegal imports and the like), I do believe in tightening up the laws in smoking in public places.

Vienna, I know you are trying to fight the 'smokers corner', but what you have to do is step inside the shoes of a non-smoker. Why should we have to breathe in your smoke? And before you argue back saying 'move away' ... why should we bloody well have to? Why is there so much protection for smokers nowadays? It is the smokers habit ... if they want to smoke so much then they should move to a convenient place to smoke in (i.e. a smoking room) where they can all die together.

Your sense of smell has literally vanished because of what smoking has done to you, so you dont realise that ABSOLUTELY DISGUISTING smell that permeates from your breath, clothes and belongings , even when you arent smoking.

Why should we have to move? If you want to smoke so bad, you go into a smoking room ok?!?

ReputationRep:
    I cannot see any government seriously proposing to ban tobacco for fear of the huge number of potential voters they would lose.

ReputationRep:

in most public places, smoking is banned or there are seperate smoking areas..this colossal public space that smokers are infringing on is in fact just bars and cafes and occasionally non-segregated social areas. the owner of that establishment has the right to decide what happens within his property. if he says, you may smoke then people can smoke. if you dont like smoke then dont go where smoking is allowed. im willing to accept there are cases in small businesses and certain sectors where smoke in the workplace is a problem. that should be addressed, but a blanket ban is plain ridiculous.

as a non-smoker i like to think i show far more tolerance than your attitude of 'i hate it so **** you'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    Je ne comprends pas
    tant pis..

ReputationRep:
    in most public places, smoking is banned or there are seperate smoking areas..this colossal public space that smokers are infringing on is in fact just bars and cafes and occasionally non-segregated social areas. the owner of that establishment has the right to decide what happens within his property. if he says, you may smoke then people can smoke. if you dont like smoke then dont go where smoking is allowed. im willing to accept there are cases in small businesses and certain sectors where smoke in the workplace is a problem. that should be addressed, but a blanket ban is plain ridiculous.

as a non-smoker i like to think i show far more tolerance than your attitude of 'i hate it so **** you'.
    I agree, people who do not like smokey environments should be more selective in where they go. As Vienna95 says, the vast majority of establishments are either non-smoking or provide a non-smoking area.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.